Question about an in house nanny ***UPDATED***

We had a Austrian nanny when the kids were young. Live in. She was 18 when she started with us. I had no idea she could shoot and was familiar with firearms until I,as jdubois did, gave her a run down of the household. She was one hell of a shot to.
Austria has liberal gun ownership policies and her family had a long hunting and target shooting tradition.
She is now a border guard there.
Did I mention she was hot?
We also had a British nanny and a French nanny. They both handled the firearm situation very well. The French girl actually went hunting with me a few times.

We had a Austrian nanny when the kids were young. Live in. She was 18 when she started with us. I had no idea she could shoot and was familiar with firearms until I,as jdubois did, gave her a run down of the household. She was one hell of a shot to.
Austria has liberal gun ownership policies and her family had a long hunting and target shooting tradition.
She is now a border guard there.
Did I mention she was hot?
We also had a British nanny and a French nanny. They both handled the firearm situation very well. The French girl actually went hunting with me a few times.

Pics?

As I do, you keep you guns in a safe to keep your children safe. My boy is two, and not yet old enough to be trusted to use judgement around accessible guns. My question is this....if you are worried about your kids getting to you guns when you are not home, are they as secure as you want them to be? Personally, I am 100% confident that no one can access my guns but me. I know that some people on this site don't feel like that is necessary, but that is what works in my household.

I'm surprised this thread has stayed mostly on topic. It has been really amazing how you guys have behaved, even you Blitz. Good thing we're talking nanny's not French maids.

I wouldn't have any problem hiring a reputable nanny with a background check. That being said, I still trust nobody and would not feel the need to tell her anything about weapons in the house. If they are locked up in a closet, at a minimum I would lock the closet, this keeps honest people honest.

For those advocating telling the nanny where all the guns are . . .

- Do you also tell her where all the Wife's good jewelry is kept?

- Do you tell her where any spare/emergency cash is kept? checkbook? credit cards?

Really, if it's not part of her job, she has no need to know where everything is kept.

Just put a real lock on that closet door and/or the room door and be done with it.

I read this and am reminded of an incident that occurred some 20-25 years ago. A neighbor (who was a diamond merchant) left for Florida and two days after he and his Wife left we got a call from his Daughter that the house was methodically robbed . . . they knew exactly what they were looking for!! I am certain that the Wife probably said something in the beauty parlor about their upcoming vacation and someone that overheard that conversation passed on the info to an accomplice!

Maybe if there is a real bond with the nanny after a year or so, you might tell her that you have guns (and not to mention it to anyone else) and invite her to the range, but just when you hire her, I certainly wouldn't advocate it if she isn't likely to stumble into them.

MXD has not told us if she is hot.

I do not think she is hot.

I'd let her know what's what and see how she reacts.

Who knows, you may have a pro 2a nanny in your midsts!

If that were the case, an armed nanny is an awesome nanny! (especially if shes HOT)[laugh]

I understand all the reasons for not telling the nanny.

I find it a little odd though to keep guns for defense of home and family, but leave the home and family defenseless when the nanny is there.

My home is either empty and alarmed, or I'm home and taking care of business. Kids are cared for by trusted friends or family. I don't think I could hire a nanny, because I'd have a really hard time trusting them on many levels. Family is one thing, employees in the home are entirely different.

I guess some folks have to do it, but I'm glad I'm not in that situation.

MXD has not told us if she is hot.

I do not think she is hot.

I'd let her know what's what and see how she reacts.

Who knows, you may have a pro 2a nanny in your midsts!

If that were the case, an armed nanny is an awesome nanny! (especially if shes HOT)[laugh]

I do think she is hot. I bet he has not answered this because she is hot and does not want to admit it in writing. :)

First, I would never solicit the advice of unknown individuals when it comes to the safety of my family.

That said, you have provided absolutely no details regarding the character of your new nanny (including whether or not she is hot). I'm fairly certain that you would have had an extensive interview process with a thorough background check, lengthy discussions with the prospective nanny regarding a multitude of issues, and spent countless hours watching her interact with your children.

You should have a pretty good feeling about what you should and should not tell her (if you don't then she shouldn't be trusted with your kids)...but should also have a detailed contract and multiple nanny cams.

I agree with Titan that I would not want to be in your position, as I want to ensure my family is protected at all times.

The first ROE meeting could get interesting.

The husband tells the nanny what she can't touch,
the wife tells the husband what he can't touch and
the nanny just wants to do her job........[smile]

Be careful for what you wish for. Years ago my sister and her husband decided they would take in an exchange studentbecause the town was having issues finding housing. Well from a guys standpoint it was like winning the lottery, she was 17 soon to be 18 and drop dead gorgeous. School year ends and so doesnt the marriage, the husband had tutored her in other things besides math.
Long story short he's living in Spain with her and has 3 kids, not so hot anymore.

My opinion based on your current situation is that you tell her and see what her reaction is. If she starts acting like a moonbat best to not let her watch your kids.

IMO I wouldn't let an unknown person watch my kids period, and I certainly wouldn't leave them alone in my house without knowing their character. Extensive screening should be used for a nanny including lots of supervised visits. And I certainly wouldn't trust anyone who's not 100% comfortable with firearms have run of my house. You're family is going to be at home with a stranger and you have no idea if that person will/is capable of protecting your children. What if someone breaks into your house during the day because they assume no one is there? Do you really want a nanny to NOT have access to your firearms and/or not be competent in using them should they need them? This defeats the whole purpose of owning firearms IMHO.

Also this person is in effect raising your children for you. Your kids will look up to this person and learn from her actions. You should know the quality of person this nanny is and whether or not she's someone you want your kids to grow up like. Your kids being that young, many behaviors will be deeply ingrained upon them if you have this nanny for a long period of time. Choose wisely.

a. What Greg said.
b. In MA, if they are properly stored (and if I had another non-family adult in my house, I would be sure they were), it shouldn't matter.
BUT
c. In my house, it would be difficult over any period of time, particularly if you spent a lot of time with my kids for her not to know about them eventually. Might be better that she/you find out now...
d. I am a big advocate of everyone who might come into contact with them knowing what to do rather than relying on locking/hiding them and hoping for the best...

Stuff happens, better to prepare in such a way that no one gets hurt, upset, freaked out, etc...

definitely put a keyed doorknob on the closet

A keyed door knob is not going to keep out someone who has exclusive access to your house for 8+ hrs a day. Either she's trustworthy or she's not. The guns are already locked in a safe so having access to the closet is moot. A door knob on a closet is moot when you can just remove the hinges, then the doors and replace them when you're done stealing what you wanted to steal.

A keyed door knob is not going to keep out someone who has exclusive access to your house for 8+ hrs a day. Either she's trustworthy or she's not. The guns are already locked in a safe so having access to the closet is moot.

Its not to keep anyone with ill intentions out, its just to take that closet out of her area of responsibility. If its locked and therefore a place where the kids cant be (during a game of hide and seek etc.) It shouldn't matter whats in the closet. But yes obviously in a gun owning household or not, its very important to have a trustworthy individual alone with your children...

There's some info missing from this thread. Are the guns in a safe? Is the safe behind a door in a closet?
Why are the kids not even allowed in the room?
My kid knew I had guns from the minute he was born(you know what I mean). If someone were to spend even 1/2 an hour in any of our houses they would quickly know that we have guns. Blue books, reloading presses, american hunter magazine, a holster on the dresser, postcards about the upcoming gun show, midway catalogs in the mail, used targets, trophies, gun club newsletters etc etc.
I woudn't give the nanny a key to the safe but I would have a discussion with her.

I find it a little odd though to keep guns for defense of home and family, but leave the home and family defenseless when the nanny is there..

You're family is going to be at home with a stranger and you have no idea if that person will/is capable of protecting your children. What if someone breaks into your house during the day because they assume no one is there? Do you really want a nanny to NOT have access to your firearms and/or not be competent in using them should they need them? This defeats the whole purpose of owning firearms IMHO.

d. I am a big advocate of everyone who might come into contact with them knowing what to do rather than relying on locking/hiding them and hoping for the best...

Let's take a different look at this please:

- The OP is in MA, NOT in Free America. In fact the OP's profile puts him in Meninostan!! [shocked]

- MGLs dictate that NOBODY except a Licensed individual can have access to any firearms or ammo under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (exception is under supervision of a licensed person).

- Not having had any kids, I have very limited experience with nannies. However, my SIL had one for a number of years. She was the Swedish Wife of a commercial airlines pilot (NO, she was NOT hot). I met her many times but do not know if she was an American Citizen (remember Resident Aliens who live in MA can't get a LTC or have access to handguns/hi-cap rifles/shotguns) legally. I worked with a young lady from Belfast Ireland, she was the membership director of the late Boston Computer Society and she also did some nanny'g for a family in Newton. I'm pretty sure that she was a Resident Alien as well.

- Given children are involved, it's only a matter of time before 911 gets called for a bad fall, serious cut, etc. and the police as well as EMTs are crawling over your house. Any hint of guns that the Boston PD can discover can lead to nothing good.

- If the unlicensed nanny gains access to the guns for ANY REASON, the OP goes to jail as well as the nanny!!

- Just giving a person you trust access to the guns, w/o extensive training on what to do and when to do it, practice on a regular basis, MA gun laws, etc. is a ticket to disaster! Doesn't matter if it is your SO, Wife, nanny or a good friend. And "family safety" is even a bigger factor when you have kids running around if something goes bad as they are as likely to run/crawl into harms way as not.

So I continue my vote on NOT telling at least until there is a long-term relationship with the nanny and a commitment by both sides to do what's necessary to be legal as well as well-trained.

- If the unlicensed nanny gains access to the guns for ANY REASON, the OP goes to jail as well as the nanny!!

- Just giving a person you trust access to the guns, w/o extensive training on what to do and when to do it, practice on a regular basis, MA gun laws, etc. is a ticket to disaster! Doesn't matter if it is your SO, Wife, nanny or a good friend. And "family safety" is even a bigger factor when you have kids running around if something goes bad as they are as likely to run/crawl into harms way as not.

So I continue my vote on NOT telling at least until there is a long-term relationship with the nanny and a commitment by both sides to do what's necessary to be legal as well as well-trained.
Um, I read the same issue the other way...

a. This is a person you trust with your kids... You better be able to trust them to not touch your guns or you don't want them in your house... Moreover, ideally, you'd like them to reinforce your parenting - which includes not touching your guns even if they know about them.

b. As I mentioned, I doubt you can hide this for very long... Your mail, your used boxes, targets, your kids mouths... You! (if you carry, though that is less of an issue in Bostonastan) It's hard to hide for long with someone in your house... Just cleaning up for moonbat company can be a chore. [laugh]

c. The "failure mode" of all these security measures is always better if its a phone call saying that "something" was left open/out so you can correct it rather than a panicked 911 call and 90 days without bail for you...

No one is perfect, shouldn't you try for the most graceful mode of failure?

I would not tell her. I have good friends who are both doctors and work long hours. A number of years ago they hired a live in nanny, through a reputable agency and independently vetted her. About six months after she started working for them she got a new boyfriend - who was apparently something of a skin head. He was not a good influence on the nanny. A couple of months after the boyfriend arrived on the scene the family took a vacation. The nanny stayed behind. When they returned from vacation their house had been ransacked. Wife's jewelry and anything else of value had been taken. And nanny had cleaned out her room and was nowhere to be found.

In fact, not to be overly paranoid, but I would also be careful not to leave financial statements, credit card bills or anything with your social security number on it lying around.

I would not tell her. I have good friends who are both doctors and work long hours. A number of years ago they hired a live in nanny, through a reputable agency and independently vetted her. About six months after she started working for them she got a new boyfriend - who was apparently something of a skin head. He was not a good influence on the nanny. A couple of months after the boyfriend arrived on the scene the family took a vacation. The nanny stayed behind. When they returned from vacation their house had been ransacked. Wife's jewelry and anything else of value had been taken. And nanny had cleaned out her room and was nowhere to be found.

In fact, not to be overly paranoid, but I would also be careful not to leave financial statements, credit card bills or anything with your social security number on it lying around.
So, nanny and heroin addict BF (or closet heroin addict nanny - I know someone who had one recently) decide to clear out the house while you are on vacation...

They toss the drawers and cabinets, but for some reason don't open the locked door to the room with your toys? Or try to get into the safe?

Now if you have a kick-butt safe, they won't get in, but they will likely find it if this is your scenario...

A random mishap after a day at the range that has _something_ that you'd rather her not see still on the counter seems FAR more likely than the nanny inside job (not that they don't happen)...

Who bothers to have a long term committed relationship with the nanny and frankly, if it's legal than what's the fun??? Oh, are we talking about guns again???

Back
Top Bottom