Quality Affordable .357 Revolver?

I have been pondering the idea of getting a .357 revolver (4" barrel) in the past few days and I have been trying to figure out what would be a good model to go after.

Usage would be range use and possibly HD. My carry gun is a LCR and my current HD is an SR9 (with 10 rnd neuter mags) which is sufficient for its job but is fairly boring to take to the range.

While I was getting some needed practice with the LCR I was thinking that I should probably get some overall practice with a DA revolver with a better sight picture. I have a SP101 in .22 which would help with the practice with a DA revolver trigger, however the .22 is not that much of a substitute for shooting a full power round.

So I have been looking around and I like the look of the GP100 and it had pretty good reviews and numerous positive posts on here, but I didn't know what other models I should look at. Specifically on the used end (which would run less than a GP100 new), as I am not tied to the idea of getting it new and there have been good .357 revolvers around for decades.

I would likely shoot mostly .38 out of it but I would want it to be well built and strong so that it would hold up to decades of a mix of .38 and occasional .357 rounds.

What would people recommend, or in parallel what are good shops in the MA area (within 40-70 miles of Haverhill) for finding good used revolvers?

I think I saw some recommendations around for looking at the Ruger Security Six which would fit what I am looking for in my mind, but I couldn't tell how much they usually run.

Basically anything in a Mid sized frame in a Ruger or S&W is what you should be looking at.
In the Smith, model 65, 66,13,19,586,686...will get you a well built revolver that will take varing amounts of standard pressure 357 and a lifetime of 38's. Go with the larger 586/686 if you plan to shoot allot of 357 or want to venture into +P 357 loads.
In a Ruger service six, speed six and security six and GP 100 are worth a look.
Couple of thoughts:
Affordable is a variable term. Any of these guns above is going to run $350 to $600 used. If you want to spend less, you'll need to go to 38 special only (which can save $50-$100) models and or a second string brand like Taurus, Rossi, etc. (Which saves you nothing in the end)
Second, do some research on what to look for in a used revolver. Even the best brands/models can suffer excessive wear/issues from previous owners. IT's not hard to find a good one but you need to know what to watch.

they haven't made a security six for a while, right? like 25 years? so it's gotta be used. i like the speed six myself (fixed sight version of the security line) and have a few but i won't pay more than $325 for one in good shape. i recently got a gp 100 with a 3" bbl which i like a lot.

i don't remember seeing if you have a budget or not. s&w make nice revolvers but new or used they ain't cheap.

any shop can have a nice revolver in the showcase. besides telling you the obvious, four seasons in woburn along with collectors in stoneham, i'd start looking at smaller shops around your area and work down into woburn. i know b&k has some really nice stuff, also. i've only met them at gun shows, never been to the shop. not sure where it is, watertown maybe?

What about an SP101 in .357 magnum? I have one with the 4.2" barrel and love it. It will have the same feel as your .22 for weight and trigger.

they haven't made a security six for a while, right? like 25 years? so it's gotta be used. i like the speed six myself (fixed sight version of the security line) and have a few but i won't pay more than $325 for one in good shape. i recently got a gp 100 with a 3" bbl which i like a lot.

i don't remember seeing if you have a budget or not. s&w make nice revolvers but new or used they ain't cheap.

any shop can have a nice revolver in the showcase. besides telling you the obvious, four seasons in woburn along with collectors in stoneham, i'd start looking at smaller shops around your area and work down into woburn. i know b&k has some really nice stuff, also. i've only met them at gun shows, never been to the shop. not sure where it is, watertown maybe?
Budget for general terms would be less than $600 (rounded cost of what I could possibly get a gp100 new)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Basically anything in a Mid sized frame in a Ruger or S&W is what you should be looking at.
In the Smith, model 65, 66,13,19,586,686...will get you a well built revolver that will take varing amounts of standard pressure 357 and a lifetime of 38's. Go with the larger 586/686 if you plan to shoot allot of 357 or want to venture into +P 357 loads.
In a Ruger service six, speed six and security six and GP 100 are worth a look.
Couple of thoughts:
Affordable is a variable term. Any of these guns above is going to run $350 to $600 used. If you want to spend less, you'll need to go to 38 special only (which can save $50-$100) models and or a second string brand like Taurus, Rossi, etc. (Which saves you nothing in the end)
Second, do some research on what to look for in a used revolver. Even the best brands/models can suffer excessive wear/issues from previous owners. IT's not hard to find a good one but you need to know what to watch.
This. Also, consider the model 27 and 28.

I think your best bet is a K frame revolver. I don't think your into L frames for $600. I actually have a model 19 in 6", which I think is a great all around revolver. I think you could get a nice prelock used model 19 or 66 with a 4" barrel in that range. Revolvers are one of those things, best bet I have found is when you travel to an unfamiliar area, always see whats around for gun shops. You'll find good deals randomly because there is no shop on the north shore that has any better selection than another.

I dont know why but im drawn to the earlier models.... I generall dont keep any revolvers though. I like the model 19s for some reason

Be careful when buying a smith and wesson. They are the best from a smoothness and aesthetics perspective, but many owners fancy themselves pistolsmiths and have screwed with the mainspring and adjustment screw or other stuff. Theres not much to change with a Ruger, so Bubba usually leaves 'em be, or you can easily see what's been filed, bent or cut.

perform checks like these....http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-revolver-buyers-checklist/

I have an old ruger security six, the thing is built like a tank and you could find one for about $300
That sounds really attractive. There is something wonderful about being able to get a quality used gun with some history for less than the flashy new offerings.

What about an SP101 in .357 magnum? I have one with the 4.2" barrel and love it. It will have the same feel as your .22 for weight and trigger.
How is the recoil relative to a beefier model like the GP100? I would be worried that the SP101 is just a carry revolver with a longer barrel so there would have been sacrifices to the weight and capacity (5 vs 6) that wouldn't be as beneficial since I don't plan on carrying it.

I may be a cranky old guy yelling at clouds, but I think the build quality of revolvers have gone to he!! over the past 5 years or longer. I'd buy a used 1980-2000 Smith and Wesson or if you want new get a Ruger GP100 and have someone like Tim Gostling at Gartman Arms finish off the trigger work and lock up.

That sounds really attractive. There is something wonderful about being able to get a quality used gun with some history for less than the flashy new offerings.

Then you should definity look around for one. The security six was definitely built to last. Some would say built better than today's standards. Shooting .38 feels like a .22, if that.

Budget for general terms would be less than $600 (rounded cost of what I could possibly get a gp100 new)

Keep your eye peeled for a Smith. I recently got a 3" k frame 357 for $350 in good shape. I've seen used 686 advertised for under $600 on armslist. The Rugers are cheaper but they aren't as pretty.

I may be a cranky old guy yelling at clouds, but I think the build quality of revolvers have gone to he!! over the past 5 years or longer. I'd buy a used 1980-2000 Smith and Wesson or if you want new get a Ruger GP100 and have someone like Tim Gostling at Gartman Arms finish off the trigger work and lock up.

I agree. I look for and buy NIB Rugers made in late 70's or 80's. They are out there, but you have to hunt for them...

I agree. I look for and buy NIB Rugers made in late 70's or 80's. They are out there, but you have to hunt for them...

Oh great so I have you to compete with in finding something? Granted I am not looking for NIB, just something in decent shape. Have any tips you would share in how to hunt them down or is that something that you would prefer to keep close to the vest?

Oh great so I have you to compete with in finding something? Granted I am not looking for NIB, just something in decent shape. Have any tips you would share in how to hunt them down or is that something that you would prefer to keep close to the vest?

Most good shops will work with you on finding something you are interested in. If you speak with the owner/manager and tell them you are seriously in the market for a specific used gun they'll take your email and phone number....and contact you if they get one in on a trade. I have many friends that have found what they are looking for this way.

IDK were you are located but I remember seeing Shooting Supply in Westport had 1 or 2 Security six for sale not to long ago. Worth a call

Back
Top Bottom