Quality Affordable .357 Revolver?

I was looking to get a 357 revolver earlier this year. Did my research online and then went to a couple of stores looking. I went up to Shooter's and dry fired some S&W's as well as the Ruger GP100. From what was in the case (brand new) the trigger on the Ruger was MUCH better. I ended up getting the revolver from Shooter's and don't regret it.

Sent the OP a PM... If he wants to send some rounds thru a GP100 to see how he likes it, we can... I'm a short distance from PF&G (I can see the old clubhouse from my home office window) and am a member there. [smile]

IDK were you are located but I remember seeing Shooting Supply in Westport had 1 or 2 Security six for sale not to long ago. Worth a call

I got my Ruger Redhawk there last Father's day for a very reasonable price. Great gun, my favorite shop last couple years.

Just saw this in the OP, might be too far to hike there.

MA area (within 40-70 miles of Haverhill)

Funny thing, this 80s Taurus locks up tight and is a tack driver. YMMV

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 286
I was looking to get a 357 revolver earlier this year. Did my research online and then went to a couple of stores looking. I went up to Shooter's and dry fired some S&W's as well as the Ruger GP100. From what was in the case (brand new) the trigger on the Ruger was MUCH better. I ended up getting the revolver from Shooter's and don't regret it.

Sent the OP a PM... If he wants to send some rounds thru a GP100 to see how he likes it, we can... I'm a short distance from PF&G (I can see the old clubhouse from my home office window) and am a member there. [smile]

Yeah I got your PM, trying to restrain myself from taking you up on it immediately if only to avoid ending up buying one on the drive home before I even plan where I am requisitioning the money from[rofl] I can't prove the wife right again.

Yeah I got your PM, trying to restrain myself from taking you up on it immediately if only to avoid ending up buying one on the drive home before I even plan where I am requisitioning the money from[rofl] I can't prove the wife right again.

This is just "research" time though. [wink] Grab a box (or two) of ammo and it's a short spend... At least THAT day. [rofl2]

The only thing I've changed on mine is the front sight. I might change it back to factory though.

Went to the range with my SP101 in .22 and my lcr. There is definitely a dissimilarity when going from 4.2" barrel in .22 to 1.87" barrel shooting .38+p.
5ae417b64de5f05091907bf701c2e6a8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I got rid of an older Taurus 66 that was a really nice revolver, if you can ignore the name.

My last remaining S&W is a 15-3 that has the pinned barrel and firing pin on the hammer. I find anything newer, meaning with a flat hammer (or God forbid a LOCK) to be crap. Since you're looking for used, you might still be able to find deals on 19s and 66s that were police trade ins from the "Wonder9 revolution".

Rugers are Rugers. They are (in my opinion) consistently overbuilt, solid, dependable guns. They're boring since they don't tend to offer surprises. I'm tending to dislike surprises in my guns and seem to have a collection of guns that are all Rugers if they're not older than 60.

I got rid of an older Taurus 66 that was a really nice revolver, if you can ignore the name.

My last remaining S&W is a 15-3 that has the pinned barrel and firing pin on the hammer. I find anything newer, meaning with a flat hammer (or God forbid a LOCK) to be crap. Since you're looking for used, you might still be able to find deals on 19s and 66s that were police trade ins from the "Wonder9 revolution".

Rugers are Rugers. They are (in my opinion) consistently overbuilt, solid, dependable guns. They're boring since they don't tend to offer surprises. I'm tending to dislike surprises in my guns and seem to have a collection of guns that are all Rugers if they're not older than 60.

I am currently considering trying to seek out a good Ruger Security Six. Will have to start pounding the pavement looking for a good deal on one, have the provisional funding planned out for it. I need to start figureing out what the current going rate on one is by trying to find out some completed auctions and such.

Lady Radtekk and I have a pair of GP100's, 6". Awesome guns. Flawless. She has an SP101 snubbie in 357, 5 shot, cool as hell, fun to shoot. She plinks with 38 in it. If you're near Westford (our club) you're welcome to shoot them, ammo is on us.

686+... love shooting this gun. Accurate, fun to shoot, good looking and has a huge cool factor - IMO. A lot of younger shooters at my club like it and they're all auto loader type guys. They think revolvers are old school guns for old school guys. I always tell them that the one thing you can always depend on (barring bad primer/ammo) is that a revolver will always go "BOOM" when you pull the trigger. 7 rounds should be able to get the job done in most cases.

GP100 all day long. Looks badass, good trigger, built like a damn tank - you can't go wrong with one.

I could leave it there but I never miss an opportunity to crap on S&W so here goes: poor customer service, spotty quality, silly locks... Honestly, do yourself a favor and stick with Ruger.

my favorite is the new production S&W 66 with 4.25" barrel. it's a real gem. K-frame sits low in the hand. feels like the G19 of revolvers. they are using a newer sleeved barrel design which allows them to get much more precision cylinder gap as opposed to the older design barrels which their current low skilled workers are building like crap.

my second pic is the 627 although at N-frame it's a tad taller. i know everyone loves the L-frame 686 but i personally see no point. it feels just as large as the N frame but holds 7 (or 6) and my brain simply cannot wrap itself around having 7 shots. it's forever confusing me. so i sold the 686.

the GP100 is nice but i find them overpriced for what they are. the upside is they're easy to disassemble and work on. their QC is also garbage. both of my GP100's (357 6 inch and 22LR 4 inch) made double trips to ruger before they were completely replaced. the 357 model ended up peening the cylinder star and hand after ~1000 rounds to the point it wouldn't rotate. the 22LR model had a giant gouge on the muzzle which affected POI to the point that the sights couldn't correct for it. the cylinder also bound up on a specific spot of rotation. basically both were unusuable in the shape they left factory. however both replacement guns have been perfect. just go look through like a dozen NIB GP100's and tell me their QC is kosher, cuz it ain't.

the notion that rugers are "built like tanks" is sort of old thinking. they're cast steel rather than forged which is why they are gigantic. i still like them however. if they produced a GP100 in 44 mag I would be all over it.

i vote S&W 66

Last edited:
686+... love shooting this gun. Accurate, fun to shoot, good looking and has a huge cool factor - IMO. A lot of younger shooters at my club like it and they're all auto loader type guys. They think revolvers are old school guns for old school guys. I always tell them that the one thing you can always depend on (barring bad primer/ammo) is that a revolver will always go "BOOM" when you pull the trigger. 7 rounds should be able to get the job done in most cases.

I have found that I am definitely more comfortable/satisfied with old school. I figure it's symbiotic my favorite guns are my revolvers, 1911, wingmaster, and O/U not that enthused by my polymer 9mm as it leaves room in the ecosystem for the polymer/modern lovers to buy their favorite guns without competition for me.

I am pretty excited to get it to the range and try it out. I have been dry firing the speed six I got most of the day and really like it. Hopefully it will earn it's place for home defense spot.

GP100 all day long. Looks badass, good trigger, built like a damn tank - you can't go wrong with one.

I could leave it there but I never miss an opportunity to crap on S&W so here goes: poor customer service, spotty quality, silly locks... Honestly, do yourself a favor and stick with Ruger.

I thought about getting a new GP100 but for $100 less I got a solid Ruger that is a nice old gun.

my favorite is the new production S&W 66 with 4.25" barrel. it's a real gem. K-frame sits low in the hand. feels like the G19 of revolvers. they are using a newer sleeved barrel design which allows them to get much more precision cylinder gap as opposed to the older design barrels which their current low skilled workers are building like crap.

my second pic is the 627 although at N-frame it's a tad taller. i know everyone loves the L-frame 686 but i personally see no point. it feels just as large as the N frame but holds 7 (or 6) and my brain simply cannot wrap itself around having 7 shots. it's forever confusing me. so i sold the 686.

the GP100 is nice but i find them overpriced for what they are. the upside is they're easy to disassemble and work on.

i vote S&W 66

I got my gun at Patriot Arms in Ipswich and they had a used M66 listed for about $589, had actually thought about it when I was heading over but the speed six in the case was just crying to me. Plus I just have to keep my 100% Ruger handgun fanboi status.

Ruger vs S&W and "tank" debate... Buffalo Bore 44mag is labeled "not for S&W".

I do like that aspect of the Ruger plus the perspective that the Ruger are less likely to have the random homeowner gunsmith treatment than the s&w.

My brother in law picked up a sp101 in 3" in December, looked nice but I am happy to have the 6 rounds vs 5 of an sp101.

My very first gun was a GP100 that was awesome! 3" and heavy as f***, could double as a club if I were to ever run out.
Traded it for a Beretta but I missed it so much I bought another...
mybaby.jpg

I'm even wearing it as I type this, need a better belt than those cheapo kohls "genuine leather" types... Get the GP100

Oh, and talk to Steve over at Northeast Arms in Peabody! Right on Rt.1 south and while he doesn't have a revolver currently in the case he'll certainly order one!

Was out today and decided to check out a local shop to see what they had, found a stainless speed six and decided it was too good to pass up!

View attachment 217944

I was originally looking for a 4" but even with a 2.75" barrel I am pretty happy with it.

Ooops, that's what I get for posting before reading. Good get! Although I wouldn't feed it too many 38s... I did that to mine and the cylinder started not easily taking 357s anymore, spend an afternoon scrubbing with Carbon killer to get everything right again...

I have a Smith 686Plus 2.5” barrell and a Ruger GP100 Match Champion w a 4” barrell. Overall I’d have to say the quality in the Ruger is a little better, beefier in spots you want it to be. I love the single action on the 686 but hate the double action. I love the double action on the GP100 but hate the single action. The biggest difference shooting wise between the two is the double vs single action. Go to a gun shop and dry fire each side by side and make your decision (or dry fire whichever models you’re looking at side by side).

My very first gun was a GP100 that was awesome! 3" and heavy as f***, could double as a club if I were to ever run out.
Traded it for a Beretta but I missed it so much I bought another...
View attachment 218042

I'm even wearing it as I type this, need a better belt than those cheapo kohls "genuine leather" types... Get the GP100

That is a real nice looking GP100. It looks pretty sharp in black.

Back
Top Bottom