Quality .22 handgun... does it exsist?

She does not like revolvers. She likes the look of the p22. Maybe im better off trying to get her to a 9mm. Thanks for the information as always.

I own a p22 and love the gun but it is a little picky on ammo. I am near the cape and if you want to meet at my gun club and let her try it please pm me. +1 for getting the wife shooting!

Another thumbs up for the Ruger Mark III Hunter. With the long fluted barrel its very Sean Connery era 007. And of course it shoots beautifully.

Mrs. Mike508 has a hard time manipulating the slide lock/release on our Mark III 22/45 just because her hands aren't that big. We haven't done any shopping for her yet, but the S&W 41 might be the ticket.

I love my Sig Mosquito. Many new female shooters I've let shoot the Mosquito find it to be their favorite until they get up the gumption to shoot something bigger.

Break it in with mini-mags for a while and eventually you can shoot bulk-pack for cheap.

I just went through this a few months ago, as I love to shoot pistols, but even 9mm ammo has gotten too damn expensive!

I was planning on getting a Sig Mosquito, because I love their 9mm and .45 pistols and the possibility that the Mosquito could be anything but another perfect pistol did not even occur to me...until someone warned me that it had issues, so I looked into it. The Mosquito was designed to use the Mini-Mags, it needs the extra powder to run reliably. Sometimes it can be reasonably reliable on good quality .22LR, but which brands work with which pistol is iffy. Since I already have a ton of cheapie .22 LR, buying all new (expensive) mini-mags was not an option.

I then looked at the Walther P22. It is more forgiving on ammo than the Sig, but still kind of picky and has quality issues. There are several revisions of the pistol and magazine out there, each one including minor improvements to function and quality. There is also a large and very nice write-up (.PDF file) on how to make the P22 better (where to polish and grind). In the end, I decided I did not like the quality (lots of plastic and die-cast metal). It is also just...tiny! I have small hands, but even in my hands, the P22 felt very small.

I then started looking for a Ruger Mark II/III, and a gun shop owner suggested the Browning Buck Mark instead. The Buck Mark has excellent quality (all steel) and great ammo tolerance (very hard to find anyone complaining about it), but is lower cost than the Rugers. I bought a Browning Buck Mark "Camper" and have been very happy with it. I have about 1500 rounds through it now and it is very accurate and rarely misfires, even on the cheapo 10-year old .22LR ammo I had. Cleaning consists of locking the bolt back (both sides of the chamber open) and scrubbing the area with a toothbrush, then maybe adding a little oil. I do not even bother cleaning it half the time.

I cannot say if the Buck Mark is better or worse than a Ruger, but I am very satisfied with the Buck Mark and the GF now claims it whenever we go shooting.

The sw 41 is a terrific target gun, but it'll sting the wallet.

I love my Browning Buckmark. If you can find one grab it up!

Any of the original High Standards are keepers. I had a slab side Citation2 and a Victor. I sadly sold both many years ago. Clean used Victors are in the 900 area. I have a very old Military with the box that is a safe queen. When Mitchell retooled the HS I bought one in stainless and was unhappy with it.

The Ruger MK 2 and 3 are very good guns for the money and you can add some great trigger kits to them.

I have a 41 that I bought as a back up comp gun and for the Mrs. She is very good with it. It was one of those great deals that come your way when you're not looking.

I shoot a Pardini in the winter league but I don't think your looking at that range of gun.

The Sig Mosquito is a very nice gun and their Trailside (if you can find one in state) is a very nice choice without getting into the 41 price range.

+1 to most comments here. I also own a MkIII and love it. I ironicaly I'm wondering what to get my wife. I'm currently leaning towards a P22, she can always use my MkIII, but if she were to have one it would be me cleaning it.

buy a 1911 and a .22 conversion kit, it's expensive but you get the best of both worlds, a great full size .22, and when you want to make bigger holes the best auto handgun design EVER.

Alright, this thread can be closed now. [laugh]

For a single action auto I would say the S&W Model 41 is one the best .22's. It seems to be the one that everyone trades up to.
For other single actions the Ruger Mk III is nice but it's overly complicated to breakdown. Sure if it's all you have you can get really proficient with breakdown and assembly. But even with my MkII's its like Ok now what's next, and the MK III's have an additional step or two.
Buckmarks are a really nice single action however they aren't available new in this corrupt state.
For used single actions the High Standards as mentioned earlier are nice but can cost almost as much as a M41 which becomes a no brainer unless you specifically looking for a High Standard.
For double action the Walther P22 is on the small side and if you are looking for something closer to full size check out the Sig Mosquito.

I noticed that no one mentioned the Ruger Single Six. Not knowing anything about the gun, is there a reason why it is not recommended. I love the looks of it and I guess you can get a mag cylinder for it, too.

I noticed that no one mentioned the Ruger Single Six. Not knowing anything about the gun, is there a reason why it is not recommended. I love the looks of it and I guess you can get a mag cylinder for it, too.
Slow to load and slow to fire. Easy to operate and easy to clean.

I own a couple of single action Blackhawks, one for 9mm/.357 and one in 44 mag, so I'm fine with not being able to squeeze off 10 quick rounds. Since 22 ammo is cheap, people often want the ability to shoot through it fast. With the single six, you pull back the hammer, then squeeze the trigger. Then you pull back the hammer again, and squeeze the trigger again. Not as fun for some folks.

Post #14
Not interested in revolvers.

Here are the ones I like.
Colt Diamondback, very hard to find in 22lr at a reasonable price.
S&W K22, gotta get an old 4 or 5 screw version
High Standard Citation, a made in CT version with the magazine release on the bottom of the grip.

Oh yeah, they do exist:

US Firearms ACE 22
ace22-highres.jpg

US Firearms 12/22
12-22-1.jpg

Sig Mosquito - Using Mini Mags, I've only had a couple of FTEs in over 10,000 rounds in the last 5 months. It feels very close to the same size as my P239, it shoots as accurate as hell too.

Their are many quality 22 pistols, however unlike most other calibers, high quality .22lr is made by very few manufacturers and is very hard to find since we "can't" buy this ammo online in Mass. It's the using of the less than high quality .22lr that can be found locally, that makes it seem as if the guns are flawed.

Last edited:
I have a 22/45 Hunter and it has been good. I do wish I got the regular mkIII hunter because it has more grip options.

My .02cents

I learned on a ruger and while it was accurate I never loved the design of the action ( I got bit too many times)

Of that same cost point I just tried a P22 with mini mags and found it really fun!

Of a higher quality pistol I shot many years competition rimfire with a Pardini. By far the best .22 I have shot and still have. Good luck finding one in MA though.

So...my vote is whatever she feels fits best and then find ammo that it eats!

Pardinis are available new in state. I know several owners of them, the last buyer has it with that $%^&#* electronic trigger.

If you think 20 round AR mags are expensive. Don't drop one of those five round babies.
High quility ammo is available by mail. Most shops won't buy it because the market is very limited it seems.

Walther is also available new in state. A friend may be selling his and I'm thinking about it.

Mrs. Mike508 has a hard time manipulating the slide lock/release on our Mark III 22/45 just because her hands aren't that big. We haven't done any shopping for her yet, but the S&W 41 might be the ticket.

Simple solution, don't use it. Just slingshot the bolt. It's what Ruger recommends anyway.

Back
Top Bottom