Quality .22 handgun... does it exsist?

btnh6668

NES Member
I was looking to buy my wife a .22 which she wants when she gets her class A. Ive read nothing but bad things on the p22 and not much better things on the s&w a22. Anyone here know of any quality .22 handguns out there?

Smith & Wesson Models 17, 18, and 617. They reek of quality and are made exactly like their centerfire brothers.

Ruger's Mark II and Mark 3 and Single Six also qualify.

I was looking to buy my wife a .22 which she wants when she gets her class A. Ive read nothing but bad things on the p22 and not much better things on the s&w a22. Anyone here know of any quality .22 handguns out there?

I might as well continue the Ruger love-fest. I have a MkII that is an excellent plinker. I have also had excellent luck with Browning Buckmarks. My competition gun is a S&W Model 41

Last edited:
I love my S&W 22A. I haven't had ANY problems with it. Bought it used in March and have put probably 2000 + rounds through it. It eats anything, but didn't like the Federal Champion I tried the other day.

Autoloader or revolver?

For autoloaders, I think the Ruger MKII/III is the gold standard since it eats almost any .22LR brand without FTF or FTE. Personally, I like the Sig Sauer Mosquito. I experience a FTF once for every hundred or so using the recommended CCI Mini-Mags (hottest you can find).

She does not like revolvers. She likes the look of the p22. Maybe im better off trying to get her to a 9mm. Thanks for the information as always.

130511_large.jpg

Model 41.

There is no better standard production .22 pistol in the world.

My MK III keeps getting better with time. In the beginning it had some FTE issues but those have gone away totally as the gun gets warn in. The trigger is crisp and light and it's a laser. Every couple of thousand I break it down and give it a hot water bath and oil it up. I shoot it more than any gun I own. The only problem I had was the front sight screw came loose but a little locktite fixed it. I highly recommend the gun and the price is well worth it. I think there are a couple on sale now in the classifieds.

Is she looking for something to plink or carry? I have a Mark II for plinking and a Beretta 21A for carry. The only issue I have with the Mark II is if I fire bullets with no jacket it will start jamming after a while. The Beretta will not eject after a while if the bullets aren't jacketed also, CCI stingers work the best.

I would have suggested the S&W 34 as I like it better than the other S&W revolvers I've shot. I have a S&W 41 and it's a great gun but if you want to save some money check out one of the Ruger semiautos.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I have a model 41,mk1 and mk2 you're welcome to borrow to give her some trigger time. The 22/45 might not be a bad bet since your new found love of 1911's.
I also have several revolvers she could try. I know you said she didn't like them, but thats just silly.

I have a S&W 41 as well and love it. But for a lot less money I picked up a High Standard Military Citation 107 and it is dead accurate and very reliable. It has become one of my favorite range guns. My son and I can hit a 10" metal plate with some regularity offhand at 100 yards with the High Standard, and we're relative noobs at all this. It just feels good.

If we're talking CCW the Sig Mosquito is a good choice, too. Not quite up to the quality standards of its bigger brothers and sisters in the Sig line, but once past the break-in period it has run virtually flawlessly.

I don't have a .22 revolver yet, but I've had my eye on the S&W 617. It is a gorgeous piece of engineering.

Good luck!

Rich

RUGER MKII standard, the gun is a tank, and a nice used one wont cost you a arm and a leg, and with the 4 inch tapered barrel it should work nice for your wife.

She does not like revolvers. She likes the look of the p22. Maybe im better off trying to get her to a 9mm. Thanks for the information as always.

My wife and daughter both shoot and occasionally carry P22s and love them. They have no problems at all using CCI Mini-mags. There were some problems with earlier versions of the P22 and they got a lot of press for a long time.

I think any model bought in the past two years is very solid, from my family's experience and other word of mouth.

My recommendation is to place a lot of weight on what SHE likes.

Back
Top Bottom