Quackenbush .458 LA Outlaw.

Yahoo! Yesterday i took possession of my new Quackenbush .458 air rifle. Designed to be filled with a scba or carbon fiber wrapped air tank. I'm afraid I'm still waiting for the air tank but I did have an opportunity to shoot it and boy is it gonna be fun. I'm expecting after a break in period to be able to shoot a 430 grain "Pellet" at 732 fps with 509fpe. I've ordered a bunch of ammo ranging from 200 grains up to 400 grains. I do need to pick out a couple styles and weights and order up some 45/70 molds and maybe a resizing die. You get two full power shots out of a charge and a couple more with decreasing speed and energy.
It is louder than you might think but from what I understand i can shoot off my deck all day long because it's NOT A FIREARM. I will look into the laws surrounding airguns but not until I roll the yote over that grabbed my dog. I've been told that this was the first airgun to kill a bear in North America and it did it with a heart and lung pass through. The pure lead pellets might not do so well on a shoulder but it's no daisy. These are a couple stock pictures. I was going to put a 2x7 Leopold on it but i can't spread the rings far enough to fit the integral bases but hopefully I can get a slightly longer 3x9 on it. It's a big learning curve but I'll get it. 2214.jpg

Nice, I was just watching a YouTube video about these high powered airguns on demolition ranch. One of the ones he showed was a integrally suppressed 45, very cool

Its air powered and recoils much like a smoker, the spring power plants are the scope killers.
As for shooting a air rifle like that in your yard be very careful all though not a firearm that's a big chunk of lead. Have a safe back stop and good nieghbors . also make sure you know your town laws
They are great rifles and airguns can be very accurate.

Some jurisdictions have changed the definition of firearm to include air guns so be sure you're not in violation of some local ordnance. It's aggravating that they make things mean anything they want but they get away with it.

Some jurisdictions have changed the definition of firearm to include air guns so be sure you're not in violation of some local ordnance. It's aggravating that they make things mean anything they want but they get away with it.
Also check your hunting regs and mind any distance from roads,dwellings and such. EP's don't care much if its not a "firearm" they will write you up for violating discharging with in XXX feet.
Now go blasting pest like red squirrels where discharging of anything is legal it changes things. Its fun spending 45 min with local PD and EP trying to figure out "is shooting non game pest hunting" well in mass it is not but you need your license if you venture out of your property.
So much fun.

Nice rifles.

Curious - you say it's louder than you think, but how loud is it? Surprising loud, or do you need ear protection? I hate hearing protection, and can't have a suppressor, I'd love to shoot a real chunk of lead without ears.

It's loud enough that shooting it in your back yard would get the cops called on you for shooting a rifle, but it lacks the sonic crack that hurts your ears. So you can shoot it without hearing protection, but like any loud sounds you are better off wearing hearing protection.

Mine has about 350 PSI coming out of a .308 hole in a split second. That's the sound. I took one shot at our indoor range and it totally obliterated my hearing for about an hour and I will NEVER do it again.

Yahoo! Yesterday i took possession of my new Quackenbush .458 air rifle. Designed to be filled with a scba or carbon fiber wrapped air tank. I'm afraid I'm still waiting for the air tank but I did have an opportunity to shoot it and boy is it gonna be fun. I'm expecting after a break in period to be able to shoot a 430 grain "Pellet" at 732 fps with 509fpe. I've ordered a bunch of ammo ranging from 200 grains up to 400 grains. I do need to pick out a couple styles and weights and order up some 45/70 molds and maybe a resizing die. You get two full power shots out of a charge and a couple more with decreasing speed and energy.
It is louder than you might think but from what I understand i can shoot off my deck all day long because it's NOT A FIREARM. I will look into the laws surrounding airguns but not until I roll the yote over that grabbed my dog. I've been told that this was the first airgun to kill a bear in North America and it did it with a heart and lung pass through. The pure lead pellets might not do so well on a shoulder but it's no daisy. These are a couple stock pictures. I was going to put a 2x7 Leopold on it but i can't spread the rings far enough to fit the integral bases but hopefully I can get a slightly longer 3x9 on it. It's a big learning curve but I'll get it.View attachment 219642

Hello I know this I kinda old but was looking around the net an found this I have daq 458 too I just got it last sept ,i know they are hard to get I found mine classifieds paid about $200.00 more with no wait,daq is getting up there in age so this may be the last to come out pos,mine is about 3 years old but was not shot,nice find for sure ,I started out with a.357 bulldog in pcp ,this an a 58 cal pistol that quackenbush makes too an one can buy right now on his site ,i got too shoot it about 60 times before winter ,I found most people don't know that such a powerful air rifles excist,its my understanding from talking to daq on the phone a few times ,that he may have some 50 cal comeing out soon ,he had said it can be tuned by the right person ,pretty simple to work on the seals can be got from local hardware stores ,I shot from 330hp to 505hp from mrhollowpoint ,its fun loud ,like said but not ear cracking loud ,hits with authority down range,has more of push then a kick ,but its there ,a blast I had so far ,

now one thing I have not been able to find out is ,like the extreme ranger 45 an others costing 2 x as much have low medium an high settings built in ,I know there was a guy who was tuning the daq 458,so I guess what I wonder is ,an will find out in the spring is I got some 122hp some 155 ,but mostly 200 to 500 grain pellets ,will it use the same 600 to 800 lbs of air that is uses for a 505 ,will get out to 200 yards or say 150 with the lighter pellets ,hard to find any info on them ,though I have learned a lot , will have chrony this spring too,as far as law I found not regulated in most states ,commen sence its not back yard friendly unless you on a huge lot with no one too close ,feds don't regulate them ,in NH there is one law about staying away from schools ,another commen sence thing ,I hope to hunt with mine next year I know Nh just passed small game air rifle hunting law ,so looks like we are on the way that an alot of plinking ,I have a 60 min 45 min an 30 minute air tank all 4500 psi ,I did go up to 3600psi in both the 458 an the 58cal pistol ,there both very unique guns an very much fun,an yes it seems to be equal to 45 acp with longer range an 330 grain bullet,i have 30.00 scope that works better then the more exspencive ones out to 90 yards ,,so there are ways to get more shots ,an also more power with the right tune ,though I am happy with mine just the way it is for now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom