Python Season Was A Bust

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=129967&catid=250

Florida's python hunting season ending with no snakes killed or captured

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) -- Florida's first python hunting season ends Saturday with no reptiles being reported captured and killed.

The season opened March 8 for anyone with a hunting license who paid a $26 permit fee to hunt down the nonnative reptiles on state-managed lands around the Everglades in South Florida.

In addition to Burmese pythons, hunters also were allowed to kill Indian and African rock pythons, and green anacondas and Nile monitor lizards.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says no snakes were caught. FWC officials say the state's unseasonably cold winter weather is believed to have killed up to 50 percent of the pythons. The public hunt will resume in the fall.

Officials believe there could be tens of thousands of pythons around the Everglades.

I wonder how many people actually spent the $26 for the reptile license?

I wonder if anyone hunts Pythons WITH a Python.

I don't understand the need for a "season" for this - they are a massively invasive, non-native species that are doing a huge amount of damage to the ecosystem there, and spreading quickly. I say kill all of them, all the time. If the state wants a nominal $26/yr for a tag, whatever. Are they concerned about overhunting?? It's not like killing all of them would have a negative effect.

I don't understand the need for a "season" for this - they are a massively invasive, non-native species that are doing a huge amount of damage to the ecosystem there, and spreading quickly. I say kill all of them, all the time. If the state wants a nominal $26/yr for a tag, whatever. Are they concerned about overhunting?? It's not like killing all of them would have a negative effect.

I agree about the nonsense of a 'season'.

What's the point, to cull the 'herd'? I would have thought the objective was total elimination as quickly as possible.

They are probably concerned with not getting piece of the cake (fees!).

Exactly, Keystone. They are the worst kind of vermin and should be exterminated at every opportunity.

I wouldn't go anywhere near them damn things. I'm terrified of snakes. Thats why I don't fly on planes anymore.

They Did A Bit Better This Year

Adult deer found inside python in Everglades

An adult deer was found intact inside a huge Burmese python Thursday, after the snake was captured and killed in the Everglades.

Contractors for the South Florida Water Management District encountered the python on a tree island in western Miami-Dade County, according to the district. It was killed with a shotgun blast.

The 15.7-foot snake had a massive bulge from a recently consumed 76-pound female deer, the largest intact prey ever found in a Burmese python in Florida,

Full Story >>> http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/adult-deer-found-inside-python-in-everglades-1939553.html

python_deer_evergl_1175926e.jpg

[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom