• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Season recap

peterk123

NES Member
I have thirteen days left but other than maybe one or two more times out, I'm done. I'm only shooting if it's a large buck.
I measure my success these days as a family. Me, my son in law and now my wife, Cathy. We hunt together, often times sacrificing one's own hunt to help the other. We are a team.

We have been hunting hard. Personally, I have about 30 days in total. I'm sure I have walked over 180 miles. Most times with at least 27 pounds on my back. At times 80. I'm tired, beat up and probably have dropped ten pounds. But I couldn't be happier. What a drain it's been. Love it... type 3 fun I think is what they call it.

As a family we got an antelope, two bull elk, a whitetail buck, a muley buck and three whitetail does. Also, 4 grouse and 92 kokanee salmon.

We have never experienced a season like this. I don't ever expect a repeat. The elk were incredible, and lucky (us, not the elk). 11 degree temps, snowing, a foot of it on the ground. A day and a half and ten miles of hiking to get those animals out. A true test of will. But the most special moment was the hunt with Cathy. We found the buck. We lost the buck. An hour later we found him again. We played the wind perfect. Got to 150 yards and she got the job done. She is hooked for life. Truly special. A bonding moment. Even after 33 years of marriage

The next couple times out will be the first time in my life I'm "trophy hunting". I have mixed feelings about it. I guess I can justify it because it places limitations on me. No, " brown it's down". But I'm happy to burn a tag.

This was the first year in 30 years I did not shoot an animal with a bow. But I have to admit, Rifle hunting is fun. I will always cherish bow season and hope to tag out before rifle hits but it is certainly a different challenge out here. Especially since I will probably devote all of bow season to elk. My goal next year is to step up my scouting game.

The challenge of the rifle is exciting. The distances are quite different. I never thought that a 200 yard shot would be close but it is. The doe I shot two days ago was at 203 yards. I went for the front shoulder. I knew it would cost me some meat if I was accurate. But I also knew it wouldn't run away and the hit would be quick and fatal. It was very satisfying to approach the animal and see the bullet enter exactly where I aimed. I made it about 50 feet from where I shot it. I guess it's a new chapter in my life. It isn't any easier, trust me. I have logged a lot of miles this year, and I'm not 25 years old anymore (or 35 or 45 or 55). I feel really happy that I can do it. And I'm thrilled that I have family that enjoys doing it with me. One of my other goals next year is to become comfortable shooting out to 600 yards. I will never hunt at those distances. But have a new fondness for rifles, one I never had the chance to appreciate in Mass, where my limits due to the environment where I shot, were at a 100 yards. I never understood why anyone would put a $1,000 scope on a $500 gun. Today I do. I took the elk at 277 yards. I was seated on a steep hill. I used my pack as the rifle. I was locked in. I held the cross hairs 6 inches above my intended kill zone. The plan worked. It was 77 yards further than I thought I would ever shoot. But I felt good about it, I have been practicing at 300 yards and everything felt right. It's an incredible way to hunt. It's very effective, as long as you are shooting within limits that put you at near 100 percent success. Santa is bringing me a new scope. It will allow me to dial for my yardage. Never thought I would but if it helps me not injure an animal, I'm in. And if it helps me shoot targets at 600 yards, I'm totally in!

I hope that as the season winds down for others they will pop on this thread and share their season. A good season doesn't have to mean you killed anything. You just had to have fun, and maybe even learned something for next season. Me, I learned a lot. I learned my body can still handle some strain. Heck, my son in law's friend that came on the elk hunt thinks I'm a freak. I learned I absolutely love hunting with a rifle and I am looking forward to the new experiences it will provide. I learned my wife is totally into the experience. She even loved hauling meat on her back. Taking her over a week to recover but that's okay. Her goal.... she wants to train for it during the summer. How cool is that??? I also learned I need to scout more so I can log less miles while hunting. House projects have taken their toll the last two years, but that should change next year. Hope to do a bunch of backpacking next summer.

You guys have a month and half left, but as things wrap up, please post up a story of your season. Pete

Now I need a few days rest.

Back
Top Bottom