1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Providence pass resolution to ban all semiautomatic guns!

Discussion in 'Rhode Island Laws' started by newportri, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I don't think they "forgot" them. They are still doing exactly what they intend to do, which is for the police to have a better weapon advantage over us peasants while still saying, "We don't want to infringe on your rights. We just don't think there is a need for you to have that type of weapon".

2. newportri

newportri

I think they want people to ONLY use revolvers and no semi automatic firearms since it appears to me that they now have group all semi automatic firearms together with "Assault Weapons".
    They also say that they do not want to restrict the the ownership or use of conventional single action firearms. The 1911 is single action and has been around for over 100 years, so I guess we can keep those...

3. Bob J

Bob J NES Member

Drugs being against the law has certainly worked in Providence.....[rolleyes]

4. tk421991

tk421991

If you look at the definition they use of a semi-auto, the M1911 is included. So is a semi-auto trap or skeet gun. If it fires, extracts, ejects, and reloads with a trigger squeeze, its semi auto, and they want it banned. No mention of a 10-shot ban however.

I think they mean single action as in bolt action or break action. In a bolt action, the trigger does one thing. It releases the firing pin, and the shooter is responsible for the ejection and reloading. And in break actions, you have to open the gun.

The M1911 is single action, and they do "forgive" the single action. But its a semi auto. So I would say that they'd ban the M1911, along with EVERYTHING semi auto.

5. scottb

scottb

Sarcasm folks.

Think the police chief got a rocket from the patrol officers union? Don't think they'd be too happen to downgrade to revolvers (no disrespect to all you revolver guys out there!).

6. newportri

newportri

I don't think the council knows the difference between SA/DA and that there are revolvers and pistols of both types.

7. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Or between a void surrounded by a sphincter and a hole in the ground.

8. Lank

Lank NES Member

Hey Providence City Council-

GO F&CK YOURSELVES

1 person likes this.
  9. Jayblaze248

Jayblaze248

How long would it take from now 1/9/13 to get this law passed? IF THEY WERE TOO??

I'm asking because I have a AR on layaway and its due next week...Trying to hold off until next Friday if possible

10. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni

I wouldn't worry about your AR. This is DOA due to the Police having no exception in the resolution. But the Asian gangs in my area were selling their semis just in case so they could have legal weapons at their next shootout.

Dave

11. newportri

newportri

The resolution doesn't have any legality, it just says what they would like to do. However, it does ask a bill (S2573) to be re-introduced that will take away State Preemption and let the cities create their own guns laws. This will not happen since even the AG is against it.

12. Jayblaze248

Jayblaze248

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Rhode Island's Congressional delegation is working to help reduce gun violence in the wake of the recent tragic school shooting.

Senators Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse and Representatives Jim Langevin and David Cicilline will hold a news conference Friday morning at Federal Court.

Story continues below

The delegation is expected to discuss banning military assault weapons, limiting access to ammunition clips and strengthening background checks required to purchase a gun.

13. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

At the Federal level... Those jackasses can't do squat for RI law.

14. Sergeis64

Sergeis64

We have plenty of jackasses at the state level- Fox, Paiva-Weed and Chafee... Thats where the hurt is going to come from...

15. newportri

newportri

Maybe the Feds should do their job keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and not let the guns walk like in Fast and Furious!