• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 Assault Weapon Ban Questions

Very sad to see this horror show finally materialize. I may have a partial way out due to long term plans.

What happens if I as a RI resident wish to register only a part of my so called assault weapons in the state of RI, but then store the rest at a friend's house who is a resident in another state in this case New Hampshire. Long term I would still continue working in RI but acquire a second home up in NH. The reason I would wish to store them with a friend for a few years is that its not in the cards for me to acquire property up North just yet for a variety of circumstances. This would be a very long year plan, like a 10 year plan. In the meantime I would wish to store my "unregistered" assault weapons out of state without actually legally transferring them to my friend who would merely keep them in a safe I would give him for such storage to which he would have no access. This would remain the case for a few years until the time I get my dream property in NH and take them back. Would the AWB allow me to own such unregistered guns out of state if I were to never bring them back to Rhode Island and only use them up there in New Hampshire as long as I remain a RI resident?

AWB will be sorted out in the courts before then, Let's not forget the huge victories the 2A has been getting in the past few months. The 5 cases from NY where hered last week and a decision should be out any time...

So far this is just an idea that has been floating several time. I believe McGee filed a bill at the end of January, but it hasnt gone anywhere that I know of. It has been bounced around since before Gina was in office. I think well hear more from the courts before this get traction

AWB will be sorted out in the courts before then, Let's not forget the huge victories the 2A has been getting in the past few months. The 5 cases from NY where hered last week and a decision should be out any time...
Will it though? AWBs vary state to state. Our AWB is much different than CA’s for example. Unless our own AWB case of NAGR v. Campbell gets to SCOTUS, I would be wary of depending on another state’s AWB getting struck down. We still have safe storage requirements Post-Heller and suitability post-Bruen. Heck, even our own case of Caetano still hasn’t completely resolved the stun gun issue here.

Also, I wouldn’t hold your breath on those 5 NY cases. One of the plaintiffs’ attorneys said before the hearing that they expect the CA2 to hand down a decision in about 6-9 months. The wheels of justice turn slowly.

6-9 months I think the the scotus will step in. They got the hearing in 2 months Give it some time bruen is less than a year old……

I do happen to think that RI will get an AWB this year. The legislature, which is around 80% democratic, was emboldened by their successful mag capacity law that they passed last year. And if, and when an AWB does go through, I expect it will take a long, long time to get it overturned, just like I don't get the sense that the magazine ban will be going away anytime soon. I would bet that many pushing for the ban know that it contradicts Bruen, but they also know that they can push it through at the local level and that it will take a long time to undo it. In the meantime, they win...at least temporarily, and that's all they care about.

To the OP, the above obviously doesn't address your question at all, but I figured I'd throw in my $.02 worth just to say that you should probably make your plans on the assumption that the AWB will more than likely go through this year. And if it doesn't...we'll all be happy. Until they take it up again next year.

Frank

Every gun regulation bill in the legislature right now is a done deal. Once the knob gobbler got put in as Speaker and the Bloomberg checks started coming in all they were waiting for was a shooting and they got it last year.

Bruen is the antidote, but it's a slow release medicine.

Every gun regulation bill in the legislature right now is a done deal. Once the knob gobbler got put in as Speaker and the Bloomberg checks started coming in all they were waiting for was a shooting and they got it last year.

Even the pro gun bills?

Yup. Who knew that Nicholas Mattiello was the only thing standing in the way of unconstitutional anti-gun laws in this garbage state. Now this fat scumbag from Warwick takes over and is obviously an Everytown Bloomberg loser. And let's not forget that criminal Rubbers Ruggerio who pulled that shady shit last year on the mag ban, you know he's waiting to sign anything to destroy the 2A. Just hoping SCOTUS has a backbone and becomes livid that all these blue turd states are spitting in their faces and males them pay soon

I wouldn't settle in on the idea that all the bills are a done deal. Most of the Democrats in the GA hate the progressive wing of their party more than they dislike Republicans. Judging from the head sponsors of the bills we get a general idea of where things are going. What happened last year isn't really a gauge either since it was a dead bill until the shooting in TX. Sadly that's how things operate.

Democrats in RI have learned that gun bills help nor hurt them come election time. Every single Dem who voted against the mag ban was releected in 2022 and the same runs true for the ones who voted for it. This MIGHT slow the tide of gun bills but longterm we either win more seats or we're toast. Several of us already working on 2024 campaigns however it's a daunting task given how few gun owners step up to help.

I wouldn't settle in on the idea that all the bills are a done deal. Most of the Democrats in the GA hate the progressive wing of their party more than they dislike Republicans. Judging from the head sponsors of the bills we get a general idea of where things are going. What happened last year isn't really a gauge either since it was a dead bill until the shooting in TX. Sadly that's how things operate.

Democrats in RI have learned that gun bills help nor hurt them come election time. Every single Dem who voted against the mag ban was releected in 2022 and the same runs true for the ones who voted for it. This MIGHT slow the tide of gun bills but longterm we either win more seats or we're toast. Several of us already working on 2024 campaigns however it's a daunting task given how few gun owners step up to help.

Dimwitted dems never let a tragedy go to waste !!!!

This is because majority of RI voters are clueless which is why RI is the worst in every category that matters. Taxes, jobs, infrastructure and so on. Ironically the only thing RI is actually really good on is gun crimes. We're one of the best states when it comes gun deaths which makes it even more moronic that politicians even make it an issue. So the things that are a problem they ignore and the things that are actually okay are the things they feel they need to address. Stupid. Yet the idiot RI voter will continue to elect incompetent, useless people to office. That's what makes this state a joke

It is by no means a done deal. The bill got stuck in Senate committee so unless it's re-visited I think it's dead/sleeping for now.
"Recommended for further study" is where ideas both good and bad go to die

But not worried. It will be re-introduced every legislative session and in time I'm sure they'll push it through. Unless of course we have a ruling from SCOTUS before then

Correct with repect to SCOTUS moving on this soon. The Speaker knows AW and mag bans are toast which certainly has influenced his decision to move it or not. Progressives know this too but they're only concern is a win, not public safety. The actual text of the bill is formatted incorrectly so if that gets reconciled then it's time to start sweating.

Just received this in an email from NRA-ILA, which is good news (for now) for those of us in RI:

"Ocean State gun owners got a reprieve this session as the Legislature recessed its regular 2023 session without a significant gun bill passing. After passing a magazine ban last year, anti-gun politicians were more determined than ever to pass a semi-auto “assault weapon” ban this year.

One of the other bad bills being pushed by gun grabbers was a bill to require mandatory storage. Neither bill advanced as the final gavel dropped this week. In the wake of last year’s Bruen decision, courts across the country have been flooded with Second Amendment challenges to these type of anti-gun laws passed by anti-gun states. Despite the good news in Providence this week, we fully expect that the gun control zealots will be back again next session."

Frank

Every year they attack and we got REALLY lucky this year. With Nicholas Mattiello not running the house anymore and that fat scumbag from Warwick taking over, I am very surprised we got through 2023 w/o anymore unconstitutional BS gun laws but next year is another uphill battle

With one rainbow boy retiring from Congress, I hope to see the other rainbow slob run for his seat so RI can get a better speaker. I honestly can't think of who would be worse except maybe the BLM twerker, who I expect will be governor in the next 10-20 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom