1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Providence pass resolution to ban all semiautomatic guns!

Discussion in 'Rhode Island Laws' started by newportri, Jan 3, 2013.

1. newportri

newportri

http://www.foxprovidence.com/dpps/n...rov-city-council-wants-action-on-guns_5269561
    This resolution just passed this evening.

2. newportri

newportri

This is from Providence's website:
    http://council.providenceri.com/node/703

3. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

4. newportri

newportri

So the council must think that they have solved a problem if/when murders are done with knives and not firearms [thinking]
    Maybe they need to look at the criminals and not the law abiding citizens. They have gone full retard in Providence, and I will not spend another dollar in Providence or even set foot in that city unless I am testifying at the State House.
    The bill they refer to is a bill that was also introduced last year and that will take away state pre emption when it comes to firearms. That means that all gun owners can move to one town and elect their own council that will be PRO gun. Silencers, SBR/SBS, and machine guns will be legal and encouraged to own. Taxes will be low since we won't need a police force since the criminals don't dare come into town cause they know people are armed, but they will instead go to Providence where they know the average person is not able to defend themselves...

5. Rover51

Rover51

\\

I use to live in Newport and loved Rhode Island.. but over the years the anti gun attitude, the tax everything and the government trying to control everyones life made me chose to move to NH. Peoples gun rights have been taken away over the years by the RI state government and they will continue to taken away city by city. I feel sorry for those who have to live in RI and are gun owners. [sad]

6. newportri

newportri

Rover51, I hear what you are saying. It's too bad that the people in RI are not smarter than electing the people we have elected to govern our state, but I guess this is what we (not me, but those who vote the liberals into office that take our rights away) deserve for voting on them. It's a shame cause it is a beautiful State.

7. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

"Sledding" deaths yesterday have "lawmakers" trying to protect "kids". Seventeen isn't a kid in my mind. Maybe they will outlaw trees?

Providence trips will force me to wear my helmet with siren and flashing red light.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

8. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

[pics]

9. Gadsden

Gadsden

Glad I left that moonbat-cave.

10. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

Do you know if anyone is planning to sue the city over this?

11. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

The state has a preemption on firearms laws so this is dead in the water.

12. Gadsden

Gadsden

So does the federal government, but that has not stopped states and cities from ****ing folks over through "creative interpretation".

13. TheKingNothing

TheKingNothing

Every day I log onto these forums I see new legislation raping my rights and the rights of other Americans. When the **** is Go Time?

14. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=951&c=4571&f=937891

Here's a radio interview on the Matt Allen show with Seth Yurdin (Providence City Council Majority Leader). It's a little long, but worth listening to. Matt got some good ppints in, but you could tell he was getting nowhere. He couldn't even get him to admit that the byproduct of this law would be the confiscation of legally owned private property.

15. MA_Shooter

MA_Shooter

16. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

The city of providence cannot make a weapon illegal. They can lobby the state legislature to do it but the state legislature can barely wipe it's own ass. Every year 10 new gun laws (or varied ridiculous nature) pop up in Rhode Island and die in committee. From the statutes:

And too my knowledge the only "otherwise" is the ability to delineate a "compact area" discharge restriction.

1 person likes this.
  17. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

1 person likes this.
  18. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

No shit. I'll bet 99% of the country had no idea about NFA before, during and after it was passed and probably gave even less of a shit.

19. newportri

newportri

Part of the resolution is to re-introduce a bill (S2573 from last year) that takes away State Preemption and they can do whatever they want. At least they think they can, but they are probably not familiar with the US and RI Constitution and Heller and McDonald... It was nice of the Providence council to put in writing what their intent is (ban all semi automatic guns) since I think there is less of a chance the bill will pass when this is known.

20. Lank

Lank NES Member

i will make some harassing calls.

1 person likes this.
  21. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

You know better than I all the stupid gun bills they try to push through the legislature. Every single one dies in committee. RI killed the BOG because they took too many liberties. The legislature is not going to give any city more any authority than they have to.

22. newportri

newportri

You are right, but unfortunately many of them will be back again this session. I agree that the GA won't give up state pre-emption, but they might try to get an AWB and high capacity ban...

23. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

What we probably need to do is trick these stupid idiots by telling them that RI is one of the only states in the nation that already has an outright ban on machine guns. You cannot own an NFA item or silencer. Equate machine gun with "assault weapon", show them where it says it in the statutes and they are so ****ing retarded they may believe it and walk away.

1 person likes this.
  24. American 1

American 1 NES Member

Well put !! That's one state that historically can't get their shit together....This measure is another disorganized stab at appeasing
    the clowns in DC to benefit a select few on the state level.

25. American 1

American 1 NES Member

26. scottb

scottb

So the Providence police will be transitioning back to revolvers soon?

27. glennv

glennv

This is a great idea. Capitalizing on "low information legislators."

My prediction. The NRA/RI Pistol and Revolver Association gets the GA to wait until the Feds do whatever they do. If nothing passes on the Federal level then RI will act...and stupidly at that. Many of us have seriously discussed the idea of challenging every single weapon related piece in section 11-47 if they attempt to change our carry laws or pass an AWB. This includes RI class III restrictions. Imagine the look on the faces of the antis in the GA when they find that if they lose WE may gain more rights than we have now. The thought of legalizing machine guns in RI might be enough to get them to back off. We'll see.

28. newportri

newportri

Scott,that's what the resolution says, but it is clear that the Council does not know what they are talking about.There is no exemption for the police, and they state:"BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Providence City Council does hereby express its support for the ban on the sale, use, and possession of all semi-automatic firearms within Providence."The entire resolution can be read here.
    http://council.providenceri.com/efile/138

They also claim that single action, single shot firearms are the most effective firearms for hunring, personal and home defense and sport shooting...

29. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Not only does the bill as written do away with pre-emption, it grants exclusive authority over firearms, including carry and transport, to towns - which would mean a proliferation of "town carry permits" for those special enough to quality.

30. tk421991

tk421991

They also forgot revolvers.

The ban calls for a ban of guns "that fires, extracts, ejects, and reloads once for each pull and release of the trigger".

No one stopped to realise that you'll just have a bunch of people buying .38 snubbies, Webleys, and S&Ws.

I'm not saying they should include them, but the language and purpose of the resolution is just sad.