• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please consider other towns than Foster.

I hope people consider not applying to Foster for the time being. Some of us have tirelessly worked on this issue for a couple of decades with very limited resources.

Foster is a small town with a small PD. While Gadomski said they need to issue in 90 days, I don’t see them holding a small PD like Foster to that, especially if they explain that they are backlogged.

So if you live in RI and don’t have a business or home in Foster, PLEASE consider applying to your city/town. If you currently have a Foster license, please apply for a new license in your town 1 year before your Foster license expires. This way if they drag their feet or complain, it will likely be resolved before your Foster license expires and nothing in the law prevents you from having multiple or overlapping town permits.

If this keeps up, they are likely to end town shopping for RI residents and/or make it so non-residents have to apply for a “town permit” to the State Police and that would be a nightmare. They would also likely increase the licensing fee too.

Please don’t ruin it for us. Many of us have put a lot of blood and sweat into this issue over the past 20 years and we are in a better place than we used to be. The only way for other towns to get better is to have more people apply to them.

I agree, all towns, including Foster, are doing WAYYYYYYYY too much before issuing a license and most of their application questions are irrelevant and improper. They could also have an online system like Texas, Oregon, Washington, Indiana, South Carolina, and many many other states.

Please consider what I have said. Thanks.

Foster is not the best choice. They are so small, their police station is an old house.

Having said that, seeing how my non-resident Pennsylvania permit was issued online, 1.5 hours after finishing the online application, and the in-person permit handoff took 10 minutes, the fact that it takes Mass, or RI months to do the same thing is absurd.

Foster is not the best choice. They are so small, their police station is an old house.

Having said that, seeing how my non-resident Pennsylvania permit was issued online, 1.5 hours after finishing the online application, and the in-person permit handoff took 10 minutes, the fact that it takes Mass, or RI months to do the same thing is absurd.
Yes. Washington is also painless. It’s a 1 page application, they only ask biographical information, they don’t illegally ask for you SSN, they don’t ask where you work as it’s irrelevant, and they don’t ask for references as they are pointless and irrelevant anyway.

You apply, they roll your prints and the license shows up in the mail. You can also renew online as most licensing authorities use permitium. You never have to show up in person on renewal and it’s all automated when you renew online.

I applied to Foster (non-resident) because I drive through there all the time from Mass and the application was less of a pain. I knew it was going to take a while. April will be 8 months. I'm not going to call them as I know they are backlogged. I heard Mass is taking up to 10 months on their non resident permits so I guess this is the new normal in Southern New England.... :(

I applied to Foster (non-resident) because I drive through there all the time from Mass and the application was less of a pain. I knew it was going to take a while. April will be 8 months. I'm not going to call them as I know they are backlogged. I heard Mass is taking up to 10 months on their non resident permits so I guess this is the new normal in Southern New England.... :(
It’s not the norm in Rhode Island. It’s simply because people will not stop bombarding the crap out of a tiny town.

I'd consider another town if it was on-par with the simplicity of Foster, but mine is just silly. Notarized letters of reference and medical releases (tell me where that is in the law) to to apply.

How soon might we see one clear, consistent app without all the extra BS?

Possibly because it’s one of the few towns that will issue?

I think you need to work on your messaging.
For months, I have been imploring people who live out of state to go to other towns.
I'd consider another town if it was on-par with the simplicity of Foster, but mine is just silly. Notarized letters of reference and medical releases (tell me where that is in the law) to to apply.

How soon might we see one clear, consistent app without all the extra BS?
I agree it’s BS. The Foster application itself is illegal too. For example, they violate federal law by asking for your Social Security number for something that is not exempt from section 7 of the Privacy Act of 197. Furthermore, the mere fact that they ask for it without stating it is voluntary is a violation. They also asked for more nonsense like notarized copies of every out-of-state permit (they only need 1) that you have as well as your employer, and if you’re not obtaining the license for a work related issue, then it’s quite frankly none of their business.

The only way other cities will get better is if more people apply to them. And there are a handful that issue even though upfront, they ask for a lot of nonsense and I agree it is a pain.

Last edited:
For months, I have been imploring people who live out of state to go to other towns.

I agree it’s BS. The Foster application itself is illegal too. For example, they violate federal law by asking for your Social Security number for something that is not exempt from section 7 of the Privacy Act of 197. Furthermore, the mere fact that they ask for it without stating it is voluntary is a violation. They also asked for more nonsense like notarized copies of every out-of-state permit (they only need 1) that you have as well as your employer, and if you’re not obtaining the license for a work related issue, then it’s quite frankly none of their business.

The only way other cities will get better is if more people apply to them. And there are a handful that issue even though upfront, they ask for a lot of nonsense and I agree it is a pain.
How does one challenge the BS though? People have been applying in my town for a long time and until recently a fair number were denied. Their app process has never changed. So what apply, get denied, and challenge in court?

Notarized letters of reference and medical
Releases is absolute BS….and a few towns do it. I happen to live in one.

Or just “comply”?. I’m not good at that

How does one challenge the BS though? People have been applying in my town for a long time and until recently a fair number were denied. Their app process has never changed. So what apply, get denied, and challenge in court?

Notarized letters of reference and medical
Releases is absolute BS….and a few towns do it. I happen to live in one.

Or just “comply”?. I’m not good at that
I spent a little over $1000 to fight for the denial of my AG renewal. I’ve had the license for almost 20 years now.

Without knowing what town you’re in I can’t offer any recommendations.

Me too. Lol

This is why I told the guy to work on his messaging. All I got from his post is that Foster will issue a Non-resident license and I shouldn’t apply because he asked nicely.
My original post explained it. It’s up to you to either understand it or misunderstand/dismiss it.

Me too. Lol

This is why I told the guy to work on his messaging. All I got from his post is that Foster will issue a Non-resident license and I shouldn’t apply because he asked nicely.
Makes me think maybe Foster is actually the best place to apply. It’s like telling someone dont look on this part of the beach with your metal detectors…Nothing to see here.

My original post explained it. It’s up to you to either understand it or misunderstand/dismiss it.
Why are people applying to Foster? I assume it’s because the process is easier or the success rate is higher than going to the AG or a different town?

Instead of advertising this, maybe offer alternatives?

Makes me think maybe Foster is actually the best place to apply. It’s like telling someone dont look on this part of the beach with your metal detectors…Nothing to see here.
I found this awesome spot to surf off Ruggles in Newport, RI. Please don’t go there or it might ruin it for me.

Why are people applying to Foster? I assume it’s because the process is easier or the success rate is higher than going to the AG or a different town?

Instead of advertising this, maybe offer alternatives?

I found this awesome spot to surf off Ruggles in Newport, RI. Please don’t go there or it might ruin it for me.

I’ve offered alternatives for months. I mean, you all can apply and then call them after 90 days and say it’s your right and you shouldn’t even need a license (all true) and threaten to sue them (no one will anyway) for not issuing in the timeline outlined by Gadomski, while coming on here to say it’s been 240 days or whatever too…that’s always an option as well.

I’ve offered alternatives for months. I mean, you all can apply and then call them after 90 days and say it’s your right and you shouldn’t even need a license (all true) and threaten to sue them (no one will anyway) for not issuing in the timeline outlined by Gadomski, while coming on here to say it’s been 240 days or whatever too…that’s always an option as well.
I found the thread you’re referencing and feel like I’m late to the party. That’s a lot of applications per month.

You must realize that's not particularly helpful. "Go someplace else" without suggesting places that only require YOU to take action (specifically, places that don't require you to bother 3 non-relatives to write and sign letters) will achieve nothing.

But perhaps I'm being overly cynical. What other places would you suggest that impose actions only on the applicant?

You must realize that's not particularly helpful. "Go someplace else" without suggesting places that only require YOU to take action (specifically, places that don't require you to bother 3 non-relatives to write and sign letters) will achieve nothing.

But perhaps I'm being overly cynical. What other places would you suggest that impose actions only on the applicant?

Nope you’re not. Foster has the least requirements and seems very gun friendly. Other than the waiting period why would you go somewhere else and get dicked around.

Nope you’re not. Foster has the least requirements and seems very gun friendly. Other than the waiting period why would you go somewhere else and get dicked around.
I’ve listed numerous options in multiple threads, you can find them with the forum search function. Foster is well over a year wait for non-residents. Do what you think is best for you.

I’ve listed numerous options in multiple threads, you can find them with the forum search function. Foster is well over a year wait for non-residents. Do what you think is best for you.
OK, that answer is of even less value. No one (OK , at least me) is going to take "I've posted it elsewhere, go find it" as anything other than an indication that you really don't mean to do much past complain about people doing stuff you don't like.

Do any of your options list towns that don't require 3rd party letters? Beats the hell out of me, Roy.

Am I going to burn time trying to find out in the hopes that it might be there when you can't even trouble yourself to reply in your own "Please Consider Other Options" thread? Nope, not a chance.

Post a link to all this supposedly valuable information or stop whining about outsiders inconveniencing your plans. Seriously, pick one. Preferably the one that's actually helpful.

This is not the First World Problems Horror Stories thread. Solutions ARE welcome (ex. what towns TO apply to).
Exactly.

Last edited:
OK, that answer is of even less value. No one (OK , at least me) is going to take "I've posted it elsewhere, go find it" as anything other than an indication that you really don't mean to do much past complain about people doing stuff you don't like.

Do any of your options list towns that don't require 3rd party letters? Beats the hell out of me, Roy.

Am I going to burn time trying to find out in the hopes that it might be there when you can't even trouble yourself to reply in your own "Please Consider Other Options" thread? Nope, not a chance.

Post a link to all this supposedly valuable information or stop whining about outsiders inconveniencing your plans. Seriously, pick one. Preferably the one that's actually helpful.

Exactly.
What plans? What am I “whining about” here? I’ve been carrying in RI for almost 20 years now, and who is Roy?

What plans?
"Many of us have put a lot of blood and sweat into this issue over the past 20 years and we are in a better place than we used to be. The only way for other towns to get better is to have more people apply to them."
"For months, I have been imploring people who live out of state to go to other towns."

What am I “whining about” here?
"If this keeps up, they are likely to end town shopping for RI residents and/or make it so non-residents have to apply for a “town permit” to the State Police and that would be a nightmare. They would also likely increase the licensing fee too.
Please don’t ruin it for us."

who is Roy?
It's a quote from an old song where the locals are complaining about a busload of out-of-towners ruining their town.

Again, you notice that you STILL haven't posted anything useful in your thread suggesting people take an action you prefer. If you, perhaps, listed one or more towns with a process not involving 3rd party letters, people might be more amenable to your suggestions.

"Many of us have put a lot of blood and sweat into this issue over the past 20 years and we are in a better place than we used to be. The only way for other towns to get better is to have more people apply to them."
"For months, I have been imploring people who live out of state to go to other towns."

"If this keeps up, they are likely to end town shopping for RI residents and/or make it so non-residents have to apply for a “town permit” to the State Police and that would be a nightmare. They would also likely increase the licensing fee too.
Please don’t ruin it for us."

It's a quote from an old song where the locals are complaining about a busload of out-of-towners ruining their town.

Again, you notice that you STILL haven't posted anything useful in your thread suggesting people take an action you prefer. If you, perhaps, listed one or more towns with a process not involving 3rd party letters, people might be more amenable to your suggestions.
It’s because you’ve been obnoxious and appear to be lazy. I don’t say this to be mean as that’s not my intention, but many southern New England gun owners sit on their butts and do nothing. If one is too lazy to search previous postings (or go to handgunlaw and look at the RI page with over a dozen applications for numerous towns) on this forum then they are too lazy to get a license. It’s been this way for over 20 years in RI. Most people in this category never get a license.

Many people here have applied to Foster and now they are on RIguns Reddit complaining that it’s been over a year and Foster told them they will get to it whenever.

Those people can either sue or complain on the internet, most people choose the latter.

Drove through Foster today. Was hoping to get pulled over so I could "Oh, by the way" to the officer..... :)
That would be 😆.

PD: What’s your name?

You: Why don’t you go process my application in violation of Section 7 of the Privacy Act of 1975 and with useless info like where I work and the names of 3 people who will only say good things about me.” 😆😆

Back
Top Bottom