• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are any SW RI towns better for CCW?

I'm a CT resident, and the wife wants to move closer to the shore of either SE CT or SW RI. CT is pretty horrific w/ our new guns laws, but would like to know if any towns in SW RI are reasonable for obtaining a CCW. I know you guys currently have it better on the AW restrictions, though subject to change w/ proposed bills. I'm going to veto an RI move if ARs and carry are off the table.

What about Middletown RI? I have a CCW permit issued by the town recently, we have a gun club in town, and 3 within a 20 minute drive. We have good beaches and the town is close enough to Newport, but not to close. PM me for any info.

Hopkinton, West Greenwich, North Kingstown and East Greenwich have been known to issue recently. Exeter is a bit problematic with their issues over licensing authority. South Kingstown and Charlestown are thought to issue, but there has been some mixed feedback lately, so maybe they don't. Westerly, Narragansett, and Richmond are unknown.

I think that's a tour of Southern RI for you.

We looked at a house in Bradford that we liked. Any sense of CCW approvals in that town?
i thought Westerly had a bad track record?

Geez, I can't remember exactly. I would say January 2012 if I had to guess. The last chief got jammed up for a bunch of civil rights abuses and the Town was not pleased about the very large federal lawsuit it still has to foot the bill for. That and a whole bunch of corruption in the HPD. The new chief is a former trooper who is very well connected. Keep in mind, once you have a permit you have a "property-interest" in the permit. If they decide to give you a hard time, I think a lawyer would have fun forcing them to reissue. The case law already exists for drivers licenses. They probably already know that. A reissue is going to be less of an issue than a new permit. Especially because they have also let you have it for 4 years and you have not killed anyone....

Back
Top Bottom