• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foster Permit received - 267 days

They do exist! Took me 267 days to get this one. Submitted 5/31/2022, picked up 2/21/2023.

Some information I found out:
- They process 500-750 per month
- Current Chief just retired so while they find a new one no new apps can be approved
- PD may be disbanded within the year as it’s costly to run the department
- Raymond Peters is a very cool guy

Attachments

• 7B0D4F5B-D346-4BE2-AD86-0F1A83216666.jpeg
    7B0D4F5B-D346-4BE2-AD86-0F1A83216666.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Interesting. If I posted a photo like that of my RI AG issued permit, it would be grounds for revocation if I took a photo or make a scan/copy of it - ways so right on the back.

Congrats. I go in early March to pickup mine

I’ll be sad if Foster disbands. Means I might have to renew in Cumberland. Has the same foolish 20 page app as Westerly. No I don’t care to sign a bunch a medical releases. When did police become qualified to read medical records?

I’ll be sad if Foster disbands. Means I might have to renew in Cumberland. Has the same foolish 20 page app as Westerly. No I don’t care to sign a bunch a medical releases. When did police become qualified to read medical records?
RI legislature is considering legislation to abolish town CCW and make everyone apply through AG. Who knows what the process will be like in 4 years. Hell, who knows if the USA will still be here in 4 years. I’m sitting here worried I’m going to get drafted to fight in Ukraine. Ya’ll thinking WAYYYY too far down the chess board.

RI legislature is considering legislation to abolish town CCW and make everyone apply through AG. Who knows what the process will be like in 4 years. Hell, who knows if the USA will still be here in 4 years. I’m sitting here worried I’m going to get drafted to fight in Ukraine. Ya’ll thinking WAYYYY too far down the chess board.
You’re the second person I’ve heard say that this week. I’ve heard nothing about it.

I know someone from 2nd amendment coalition is suing AG over the “showing of need” in his denial. Hope the whole hybrid shall issue/may issue BS goes away. Be nice to have one simple process but that’s a lot to hope for in RI

Last edited:

Loil I predict that will last right up until a democrat political donor with a town license says the politician "What the f*** are you doing?" [rofl] People keep forgetting that all these licensing systems were originally set up only to support annointed people to carry, not the other way around. A lot of people with pull still have these licenses.

Forgot to mention, I drove nearly 11 hours each way just to pick up this permit. I’m in Michigan. I drove through Ontario, Canada to save a little time. I was so worried how I was going to explain to Trudeau’s minions at the border what I’m doing. Thankfully, they didn’t even care to ask me any questions beyond the standard declaration form.

I legit was staying up the night before practicing my explanation on how it’s totally normal to drive 11 hours to pick up a CCW in some micro penis State I’ll likely never visit again and that I promise I’m not smuggling drugs or guns 😅

Forgot to mention, I drove nearly 11 hours each way just to pick up this permit. I’m in Michigan. I drove through Ontario, Canada to save a little time. I was so worried how I was going to explain to Trudeau’s minions at the border what I’m doing. Thankfully, they didn’t even care to ask me any questions beyond the standard declaration form.

I legit was staying up the night before practicing my explanation on how it’s totally normal to drive 11 hours to pick up a CCW in some micro penis State I’ll likely never visit again and that I promise I’m not smuggling drugs or guns 😅
Why did you want the RI permit?

They do exist! Took me 267 days to get this one. Submitted 5/31/2022, picked up 2/21/2023.

Some information I found out:
- They process 500-750 per month
- Current Chief just retired so while they find a new one no new apps can be approved
- PD may be disbanded within the year as it’s costly to run the department
- Raymond Peters is a very cool guy
So what should someone do, who has a Foster application pending, and they have cashed the check?

So what should someone do, who has a Foster application pending, and they have cashed the check?

File a federal civil-rights suit.

Seriously. I know what an expensive pain that'll be, but it's what the law allows.

They're denying you a constitutional right. Post-Bruen, that's serious.

Here's the update on Foster.

The chief is retiring in April. They expect to have a new chief shortly, and the approval process keeps moving forward. There is one sergeant who is handling all the processing work, and he's swamped. Budgetary limitations preclude hiring more staff, and he has patrol responsibilities as well. The person on the phone was exceedingly polite, and very helpful. She sounds like your mom when you call. She's awesome.
I WOULD advise applying to a department with more staffing resources if you are filing in the future.

You’re the second person I’ve heard say that this week. I’ve heard nothing about it.

I know someone from 2nd amendment coalition is suing AG over the “showing of need” in his denial. Hope the whole hybrid shall issue/may issue BS goes away. Be nice to have one simple process but that’s a lot to hope for in RI
Yes. There is a lawsuit against the AG, and it’s as poorly written as the magazine lawsuit was. It’s terribly written and the AG will win the lawsuit.

There is a bill to limit town permits to people with a residence or business in the town.

If passed, a lawsuit targeting the residency/business requirement would have to be filed.

Last edited:

Foster is still obligated to issue licenses. It doesn’t matter if the PD is disbanded.

11-47-2 says the town clerk is the licensing authority if there is no police department.The town clerk of Exeter issues pistol permits. The Foster town clerk can do the same.

Foster is still obligated to issue licenses. It doesn’t matter if the PD is disbanded.

11-47-2 says the town clerk is the licensing authority if there is no police department.The town clerk of Exeter issues pistol permits. The Foster town clerk can do the same.
Oh that's good to know

I saw there was a bill to do away with shopping around for a different towns. That has been rumored in my local gun shop for a while.
They bought this on themselves. When courts said towns had to issue permits, the assembly didn't say "Ok, this is how we're going to ask towns to do it". As best I can tell they punted, and city councils pointed at the local PD's....ad they wanted no part of it (probably still don't)

But I also saw this, which I've been begging for since I moved to this little lsice of heaven
It's basically to do away with all the fiefdom mandates. All towns use the same application, without twisting words and without the blood sample,colonoscopy and character reference from your 3rd grade teacher.

I believe there is also a requirement to have an appeals process.

Now realistically it's sponsored by the GOP state reps that represent (mostly) the towns that have declared themselves 2a sanctuary towns, so it will probably die in committee somehwere.

Oh that's good to know

I saw there was a bill to do away with shopping around for a different towns. That has been rumored in my local gun shop for a while.
They bought this on themselves. When courts said towns had to issue permits, the assembly didn't say "Ok, this is how we're going to ask towns to do it". As best I can tell they punted, and city councils pointed at the local PD's....ad they wanted no part of it (probably still don't)

But I also saw this, which I've been begging for since I moved to this little lsice of heaven
It's basically to do away with all the fiefdom mandates. All towns use the same application, without twisting words and without the blood sample,colonoscopy and character reference from your 3rd grade teacher.

I believe there is also a requirement to have an appeals process.

Now realistically it's sponsored by the GOP state reps that represent (mostly) the towns that have declared themselves 2a sanctuary towns, so it will probably die in committee somehwere.
Don’t listen to the gun shops. Some are good and some are ran by dopes.

20 years ago, a bunch told me town permits didn’t exist. Then when they figured it out, they were to scared to waive the purchase requirements. Some even called the AG’s office to ask if it was ok 😆. 2004 was quite frustrating for me to say the least.

I wrote the bill you reference with Archer (from Archer v McGarry) back in 2017. The current version has some modifications that I never made; however, it’s not like it’s becoming law anyway.

Most city councils have no idea about RI gun laws or pistol permits or any of that. Some chiefs whine because of town shopping but others just don't care.

Talked to Foster today. They told me that I had been approved and I was in the next group of phone calls to be made for setting up interviews "as soon as the block of times is assigned". They then said "you should hear from us the first week of April for an interview date". If they actually issue it in Mid April it will be 7 months as I applied on September 16th.

I seriously doubt the town permits are going away as the goal of them isn't to put everyone thru the ringer, it's to make the ones in North/East Providence, Providence, Cranston, Warwick, Central Falls, Pawtucket as much of an ordeal as possible as the goal is to keep the lower classes (who largely are stuck in those places) from being able to carry. If they're not able to run out to Foster or Burrilville to do their paperwork (cuz RIPTA sucks) and are being put thru unfriendly local PD's, they're going to throw up their hands and the anti's mission is accomplished.

Removing that barrier and making all applications go thru the AG means they have to follow Bruen, which means shall issue.

Rhode Island is playing a game with the permits. The AG's office says they're not shall issue because the towns are shall issue, then you go to the towns and you end up with all different criteria with carrying (prostate exam, kidney stone sample, mushroom stamp printing) or differing qualification requirements (if the rumor about one town requiring yearly quals, fukk that bullshit) and then in the case of Foster where they're pretty relaxed, you end up waiting 9 months cuz they have one guy doing 7000 permits a year and the town isn't going to hire more people, but they'll gladly make you pay $200 more for a permit to help facilitate a faster processing time.

"Rot" Island is a festering shithole.

I seriously doubt the town permits are going away as the goal of them isn't to put everyone thru the ringer, it's to make the ones in North/East Providence, Providence, Cranston, Warwick, Central Falls, Pawtucket as much of an ordeal as possible as the goal is to keep the lower classes (who largely are stuck in those places) from being able to carry. If they're not able to run out to Foster or Burrilville to do their paperwork (cuz RIPTA sucks) and are being put thru unfriendly local PD's, they're going to throw up their hands and the anti's mission is accomplished.

Removing that barrier and making all applications go thru the AG means they have to follow Bruen, which means shall issue.

Rhode Island is playing a game with the permits. The AG's office says they're not shall issue because the towns are shall issue, then you go to the towns and you end up with all different criteria with carrying (prostate exam, kidney stone sample, mushroom stamp printing) or differing qualification requirements (if the rumor about one town requiring yearly quals, fukk that bullshit) and then in the case of Foster where they're pretty relaxed, you end up waiting 9 months cuz they have one guy doing 7000 permits a year and the town isn't going to hire more people, but they'll gladly make you pay $200 more for a permit to help facilitate a faster processing time.

"Rot" Island is a festering shithole.

There is a lot that makes sense in what you said but there are glaring exceptions that make me also think that history (and probably the chief or past chief) has strong influence in the process. Westerly, a town that is about as far away from Providence or any city as one can be (and fairly affluent), is the poster child for the pedantic application complete with rubber glove. At the Northern edge, Cumberland (sleepy town between Woonsocket and Central Falls) is the same way. They are not a hot-bed for gang and criminal activity. Providence's application looks like Foster's....pretty simple, no stool sample required. Their only hitch is they want letters of reference, not just reference contacts. Now how many thre approve vs deny I don't know.

I'm sure there's a lot of puposeful dissuasion in some areas as you state, but it seems every town has their own take. Its obvious some towns want to discourage people from applying. The question in my mind is it because they don't want people to HAVE permits, or they can't be bothered with the effort for $40 they net. I always wonder how much money plays into their process.

Last edited:
There is a lot that makes sense in what you said but there are glaring exceptions that make me also think that history (and probably the chief or past chief) has strong influence in the process. Westerly, a town that is about as far away from Providence or any city as one can be (and fairly affluent), is the poster child for the pendantic application complete with rubber glove. At the Northern edge, Cumberland (sleepy town between Woonsocket and Central Falls) is the same way. They are not a hot-bed for gang and criminal activity. Providence's application looks like Foster's....pretty simple, no stool sample required. Their only hitch is they want letters of reference, not just reference contacts. Now how many thre approve vs deny I don't know.

I'm sure there's a lot of puposeful dissuasion in some areas as you state, but it seems every town has their own take. Its obvious some towns want to discourage people from applying. The question in my mind is it because they don't want people to HAVE permits, or they can't be bothered with the effort for $40 they net. I always wonder how much money plays into their process.
Money is apparently the reason for the delay thru the towns because Coventry tacked on an extra $250 for an "administrative fee" on top of the base $40.

That's from 2018, but the killer line that got me was...

“We’re up from maybe a handful per year during Chief [Bryan] Volpe’s time to now I’m doing 30 to 50 per year.”

They got an extra 30 to 45 apps a year and the fee had to go up 600%.

Fukk you a**h***s. Go to other states and the cost for lifetime applications is like $50. In Coventry it's $290 to start and $50 every 4 years after that.

So, the money part of it is not only to dissuade poorer people from applying (cuz factor in the range quals and ammo/gas costs and it's like $400 thru some towns) but also to speed up the process because the towns are making applicants foot the bill and not local taxpayers because I'm sure if some elderly Woodstock bitch found out part of her local taxes was going to carry licenses she would be having a pearl clutching moment at the next town council meeting.

I will say this tho, if the towns are going to make people pay almost $300 for the license, then anything more than a 30 minute wait is unacceptable. You go to any state that pre-Bruen was already a shall issue state, it's a 30 minute process where they fingerprint you, photo ID, print up the license and hand it to you and out the door you go.

Only in Retard Island does it take them months to do what takes a normal person less than an hour to do.

Money is apparently the reason for the delay thru the towns because Coventry tacked on an extra $250 for an "administrative fee" on top of the base $40.

That's from 2018, but the killer line that got me was...

They got an extra 30 to 45 apps a year and the fee had to go up 600%.

Fukk you a**h***s. Go to other states and the cost for lifetime applications is like $50. In Coventry it's $290 to start and $50 every 4 years after that.

So, the money part of it is not only to dissuade poorer people from applying (cuz factor in the range quals and ammo/gas costs and it's like $400 thru some towns) but also to speed up the process because the towns are making applicants foot the bill and not local taxpayers because I'm sure if some elderly Woodstock bitch found out part of her local taxes was going to carry licenses she would be having a pearl clutching moment at the next town council meeting.

I will say this tho, if the towns are going to make people pay almost $300 for the license, then anything more than a 30 minute wait is unacceptable. You go to any state that pre-Bruen was already a shall issue state, it's a 30 minute process where they fingerprint you, photo ID, print up the license and hand it to you and out the door you go.

Only in Retard Island does it take them months to do what takes a normal person less than an hour to do.
Coventry is back to $40 a year. They received a lot of pushback.

They kept changing chiefs like candy. 18 years ago, my brother asked for a permit and they developed an application and issued. His permit number was the year and #1. That Chief was not a problem at a time when almost the entire state was a problem.

After he retired the next chief was some jerk from the state police welfare racket. He renewed after i wrote him a scathing letter. He kept throwing out low IQ democrat talking points to no avail.

After that, he went through a different town. It’s very frustrating; however, I hear from a local attorney that Coventry does what they are supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom