• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Protection against dogs in the woods

So I walk my wife's dog in the woods quite often, the dog is very very submissive to the point if another dog attacks she would just take it and sit down. She's been attacked before at a park.

the other day I was walking in the woods with my dog off leash and two dogs came up to my dog I knew one dog was going to be aggressive and try to go after my dog so I waited. Of course the dog ran after my dog and tried to latch on to her while the other dog was circling so I just walked up to the dog and Socked it right in the head. He didn't know what hit him and they ran off the owners was sorry but kinda played it off.

i have a question what would you carry in the woods to protect your dog from another aggressive dog, btw I don't have a license to carry and don't think a gun is necessary. Any other legal options??

thx

A cell phone to alert the local authorities.

How many threads do we have on this topic?
They usually get locked too.

In before this turns into a cat thread.

Bear spray, pepper spray with a boost. If your goal is not to kill the offending animal, it's far more effective than a firearm in context.

I actually own one of those a Smith and Wesson police expandable Baton, is that legal to carry in MA?

People who own guns own cats?! Lol. I hate cats, they are either shitting in the house or coughing up hair balls and puking in the house..nasty little animals Haha

Check 269 Section 10 (b), it is only illegal to carry a baton while doing something illegal: "or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph"

option #1 is not to show that the human is scared. dogs pick up on our fear and they react to it. the best tactic is to keep moving and force your dog to follow along with you, so as not to engage the other dogs. the biggest mistake is people stop walking, stare at the other dogs and start making scared noise like "go away!" or some other fearful sounds. dogs don't speak english so there's no point in yelling in English at a random dog. these animals understand tone and body language, which is what the human must practice to successfully lead any animal.

option #2 is that if the dogs continue to follow the best tactic is loud noise. these are worth every penny:
http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety...UTF8&qid=1423616551&sr=8-1&keywords=horn+boat

option #3 is pepper spray or lemon juice in the eyes/mouth - works EVERY time

i suggest practicing option #1 so #2/3 aren't necessary

Check 269 Section 10 (b), it is only illegal to carry a baton while doing something illegal: "or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph"

That's good to know. I'll continue to carry my Baton while I walk the dog then ;0)

i had it in my pocket when the dog attacked my dog, was waiting to see if he would retaliate before I pulled it out. Luckily for him he just backed down, good to hear I can use it in just in case(legally)

To the person who said to just keep walking and don't stop/show fear. It's really not me I'm worried about it's my dog I'm worries about, my wife loves this dog more than she loves me! Lol

Elin Nordegrin recommends a driver for pit bulls and a putter for Yorkies.

Kidding aside, one of my neighbors who was terrified of dogs carried a short iron as a deterrent / protection. Plenty effective and looks less 'Clockwork Orange' than carrying a baseball bat.

If you are walking in the woods, watch out for the NESr Fudds who are itching to shoot dogs running deer.

IBTL

I carry an old ski pole year round. It's light, gives some support, and you can swing it faster than most other sticks. It has no basket, so if things go totally fubar, you can shishkebab whatever is attacking. The .38 on my hip is just insurance. [grin]

I would not hit, club, or spray someone else's dog unless yours is on a leash. If all dogs involved are off leash you could be held liable for any vet bills for the other dog. I get this info from my local dog catcher. Her quote was dogs will be dogs.

My Siberian was attacked by a pitbull, the pit had to got to the vet for several stitches and two puncture wounds. The owner wanted me to pay, but i didn't have to because my dog was on a leash and the pit wasn't. Also remember that is someone's pet so be careful they may not be so accepting of your actions, right or wrong.

I would not hit, club, or spray someone else's dog unless yours is on a leash. If all dogs involved are off leash you could be held liable for any vet bills for the other dog. I get this info from my local dog catcher. Her quote was dogs will be dogs.

My Siberian was attacked by a pitbull, the pit had to got to the vet for several stitches and two puncture wounds. The owner wanted me to pay, but i didn't have to because my dog was on a leash and the pit wasn't. Also remember that is someone's pet so be careful they may not be so accepting of your actions, right or wrong.

Interesting point, not too worried about the Vet costs.

what is more interesting is people who have aggressive dogs and let them off leash. If you own a dog off leash and it's aggressive I shouldn't/won't be punished for letting my dog submissive dog off leash and I will protect it at all costs regardless of the owners feelings.

You guys are pussies.

Grab animal.
Break its neck
Rip the heart out with bare hand and eat it on site
Make very tender jerky out of the dog or other offending attacking mammal.
Invite family and friends for great jerky and beers and hopefully there is some other activity planned.

Latch on as in bite or hump?

The dog stopped on the trail had that aggressive hunt look in it's eye ran over to my dog my dog ran to the side of the trail and sat in a submissive manner and the dog was growling loudly and bit and held on to my dogs neck luckily my dog had a coat on her.

The dog stopped on the trail had that aggressive hunt look in it's eye ran over to my dog my dog ran to the side of the trail and sat in a submissive manner and the dog was growling loudly and bit and held on to my dogs neck luckily my dog had a coat on her.

Hmmm. Is your dog female?

Seriously, you might consider a shillelagh with a ball handle. A very effective weapon with plausible deniability.

Last edited:
So I walk my wife's dog in the woods quite often, the dog is very very submissive to the point if another dog attacks she would just take it and sit down. She's been attacked before at a park.

the other day I was walking in the woods with my dog off leash and two dogs came up to my dog I knew one dog was going to be aggressive and try to go after my dog so I waited. Of course the dog ran after my dog and tried to latch on to her while the other dog was circling so I just walked up to the dog and Socked it right in the head. He didn't know what hit him and they ran off the owners was sorry but kinda played it off.

i have a question what would you carry in the woods to protect your dog from another aggressive dog, btw I don't have a license to carry and don't think a gun is necessary. Any other legal options??

thx

You do realize you are posting on northeast shooters right? I carry every time I leave the house so yes I carry a gun in the woods. Not specifically for protection against dogs but ......again......its my right to carry a gun. Now......I always have my dogs leashed in public......it just makes sense. If an off leash dog bites at me or my dogs its getting the escellation of force routine starting with my size 13 to the face.......you did the right thing by kicking it. Now here is my question for you.....you kick at the dog and it clamps hard on your leg.....knocks you down.......and goes for your face..........bet you'll wish you had that license to carry and a fire arm eh?

Back
Top Bottom