Protection against dogs in the woods

Why so many dogs "off leash"? What about leash laws? Seems this would be easier to deal with if all dogs were leashed.....

I never walk into my back woods without a 5' walking stick, whether on my own or with a dog. I have 4 of them in a bucket by the back door of the garage, anyone wants to walk the trails they take a stick with them in case of dogs, coyotes, whatever. Ron

You do realize you are posting on northeast shooters right? I carry every time I leave the house so yes I carry a gun in the woods. Not specifically for protection against dogs but ......again......its my right to carry a gun. Now......I always have my dogs leashed in public......it just makes sense. If an off leash dog bites at me or my dogs its getting the escellation of force routine starting with my size 13 to the face.......you did the right thing by kicking it. Now here is my question for you.....you kick at the dog and it clamps hard on your leg.....knocks you down.......and goes for your face..........bet you'll wish you had that license to carry and a fire arm eh?

I have a LTC-A for hunting/target shooting not a conceent permit. I didn't kick the dog I punched it in the head. If it took me down I had my Expandable baton on me.

ill take a look at those stocks I like the looks of those things, and yes my dog is a female. The male dog wasn't trying to jump her it was trying to hurt her.

- - - Updated - - -

Why so many dogs "off leash"? What about leash laws? Seems this would be easier to deal with if all dogs were leashed.....

Its the woods everyone at this walking woods trail has their dogs off leash

No leash laws in my town and they damn well better not pass any. My dogs off leash are under better control than 99.9% of people's dogs with a leash.

Leash laws are pre-crime. If the dog attacks someone/something then there are consequences. Mandating a leash is statist bullshit

#1 - If you're that worried about your dog keep him on a f-ing leash! All sorts of bad things can happen off-leash, not just other agressive dogs.

I keep my dogs on a leash, and have a .38spl in my pocket.

There may be less crime if we didn't have guns too. [thinking]
The answer to anything is never "more laws"

#1 - If you're that worried about your dog keep him on a f-ing leash! All sorts of bad things can happen off-leash, not just other agressive dogs.

I keep my dogs on a leash, and have a .38spl in my pocket.

Not sure how keeping my dog on a leash in the woods would help reduce another persons dog that is off leash from attacking my dog.

Am I missing something here??

You guys are pussies.

TACTICAL ROLL
Grab animal.
Break its neck
Rip the heart out with bare hand and eat it on site
Make very tender jerky out of the dog or other offending attacking mammal.
Invite family and friends for great jerky and beers and hopefully there is some other activity planned.
FIFY [laugh]

Usually grab the ski pole just as Woodstock and Ron say. If I feel like it I grab one of the walking sticks I made for the kids. Think hickory shillelagh/stickball bat.

You guys are pussies.

Grab animal.
Break its neck
Rip the heart out with bare hand and eat it on site
Make very tender jerky out of the dog or other offending attacking mammal.
Invite family and friends for great jerky and beers and hopefully there is some other activity planned.

No tactical roll, hardblock or lighting of a Kool?

Amateur.

They don't recommend anyone carry an expandable baton in MA. The laws are murky on this point, but many think they're illegal. I carry a walking stick for dealing with poorly trained dogs.

Not sure who "they" are but damn that sucks. I guess I'll buy a walking stick just don't want to carry that I like the baton because I can put it in my pocket. I assume I can't carry a blackjack as well?

Not sure how keeping my dog on a leash in the woods would help reduce another persons dog that is off leash from attacking my dog.

Am I missing something here??

Keeping your dog on a leash isn't to protect it from other dogs. It is to cover your ass. When you go to town on an off leash dog's face. The owner will take you to court and the first thing they are going to ask is if any of the dogs were on leashes. If neither were on a leash then it becomes a he said she said situation.

If there are leash laws in your area. I recommend you get the appropriate length leash and not the ones that extend out to 20'. Proving your dog is under direct control is key. Plus if you have your dog directly under your control, I'd say you can do whatever is necessary to deter attacking animals, especially since the dog could be attacking you as well as your dog.

IANAL but I did see an episode of judge Judy where two dogs for in a scuffle and the victim sued for vet bills. The issue of leash length came to play. Don't mess with Judy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx JHO- not really that worried about VET bills, just trying to protect my dog. Again this dog is my wife's baby lol, thx for the reply. I always wondered who watched Judge Judy ;0)

Thx JHO- not really that worried about VET bills, just trying to protect my dog. Again this dog is my wife's baby lol, thx for the reply. I always wondered who watched Judge Judy ;0)

Lol I have a job it just happened to be a day off. Tv Is interesting when normal people are at work.

As I said it may also be for your dog's safety to keep it close. Running up to someone's dog to mace it is one thing. Macing a dog that is aggressive in your personal space is much more understandable.

I would recommend going to a pet store to buy dog mace. It's made by the same companies that make human mace and is probably the same exact thing but justifying the use of dog mace versus a "weapon" to the police or courts is easier. Perception is everything.

I know pet supplies plus in Brighton sells it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_huh___by_AngelinaHarijau.gif

a .22 would do it. Also a big stick, like a walking stick. dogs, for some reason, are all afraid of large sticks (unless you have a trained guard dog). a big man yelling...they have learned to ignore.

Are you guys really so scared of dogs in the woods that you walk around carrying clubs and thinking about what sort of firearm you should be using? Seriously, or is just the usual NES oh-yeah-well-look-how-prepared-I-am circlejerk? I've been walking my 20lb dog off leash in the woods and crossing paths with all sorts of dogs, friendly and otherwise, for years but have yet to come upon a situation where yelling or making an exaggerated move toward the other dog didn't stop it.

Are you guys really so scared of dogs in the woods that you walk around carrying clubs and thinking about what sort of firearm you should be using? Seriously, or is just the usual NES oh-yeah-well-look-how-prepared-I-am circlejerk? I've been walking my 20lb dog off leash in the woods and crossing paths with all sorts of dogs, friendly and otherwise, for years but have yet to come upon a situation where yelling or making an exaggerated move toward the other dog didn't stop it.
Yeah, but I'll get to shoot my gun, with less potential for legal hassle than taking a perp down.

when i was a paper boy i carried a bottle of lemon juice the one shaped like a lemon that squirts, it worked great and didn't do any long lasting damage. the dogs eventually learned to leave me alone.

Back
Top Bottom