Protection against dogs in the woods

Are you guys really so scared of dogs in the woods that you walk around carrying clubs and thinking about what sort of firearm you should be using? Seriously, or is just the usual NES oh-yeah-well-look-how-prepared-I-am circlejerk? I've been walking my 20lb dog off leash in the woods and crossing paths with all sorts of dogs, friendly and otherwise, for years but have yet to come upon a situation where yelling or making an exaggerated move toward the other dog didn't stop it.
And when you find yourself and your pooch in the situation where yelling doesn't make a difference, what then?
Where we walk there are some damn big coyotes that take down full-grown deer, and that's the main reason for packing a gun. I love dogs and would hate to injure or destroy one, but here and there you run across a mean mutt that thinks he/she has to attack every other creature that walks. The owners are idiots to let them off leash. I'm not going to let my good-natured, non-aggressive dog get mauled or killed if I can do anything about it. The ski pole is mostly a walking aid, but it's a decent first-line defense tool that doesn't look like a weapon, and can be deployed very quickly as it's already in hand.

You don't want to get in the middle of a full blown dog fight, especially if the dogs are large.

I did once, and ended up with a broken hand, dozens of stiches, and out of school for 3 weeks.

Are you guys really so scared of dogs in the woods that you walk around carrying clubs and thinking about what sort of firearm you should be using? Seriously, or is just the usual NES oh-yeah-well-look-how-prepared-I-am circlejerk? I've been walking my 20lb dog off leash in the woods and crossing paths with all sorts of dogs, friendly and otherwise, for years but have yet to come upon a situation where yelling or making an exaggerated move toward the other dog didn't stop it.

I was attacked by single dogs 3x so far. One time walking along a street in a crappy part of town I was luckily carrying a big auto body steel shapers anvil in a bag--put that in my hand and raised it over my head to throw at the dog's head, he saw the look of death in my eye and ran away. Another time, same crappy town, dog started barking in my face...saw a long tree branch on the ground, as soon as I picked it up it ran. The 3rd time I was deep in the woods, winter camping, hiking solo catching up to some friends, and out of nowhere a big one ran up and was barking in my face, I was getting out my knife when the dumb biyatch owner came around the corner on skis.

In each case, the dogs would not back down until I used something other than just my body or shouting at them.

So yeah, if I was in the woods and two or more dogs came at me, especially if they were wild dogs, it would shoot them without a 2nd thought or hesitation. But this time of year, I would be carrying more for the odd coyote or sick black bear starving in the woods.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Seriously? You think yelling 100% of the time is going to stop a dog from attacking?

Come to think of it I don't need my CCW after all because in my experience all I ever had to do was use reason and dialog with a robber and they turned around and left me alone.

some sort of defensive spray and a walking stick would do it more often then not.

if there is a dog fight don't get in the middle although thats the first reaction for most (myself in the past as well). Best to get behind one of the dogs and grab the back legs or hips and pull as far away as you can. preferably the lesser aggressive of the two for your own safety. Once there is some separation it would be easier to dissuade the dog from re-engaging

some sort of defensive spray and a walking stick would do it more often then not.

if there is a dog fight don't get in the middle although thats the first reaction for most (myself in the past as well). Best to get behind one of the dogs and grab the back legs or hips and pull as far away as you can. preferably the lesser aggressive of the two for your own safety. Once there is some separation it would be easier to dissuade the dog from re-engaging

it's hard to get that separation with just 1 person pulling though which is a problem...this method works only with 2 people...pulling the less aggressive dog is hindering its ability to defend itself while the more aggressive one is able to attack more

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/breaking-dogfight

Last edited:
also use the spray and stick on any owner that walks their dog off leash despite not being able to control it or the dog having issues

it's hard to get that separation with just 1 person pulling though which is a problem...this would work with 2 people better

ideally yes, not always an option unfortunately

I try to always be prepared but I acknowledge there's only so much you can do without getting hurt yourself depending on the scenario.

if you could manage to drag one away and create some separation followed by a spray or a good whack, hopefully that would be enough

I would not hit, club, or spray someone else's dog unless yours is on a leash. If all dogs involved are off leash you could be held liable for any vet bills for the other dog. I get this info from my local dog catcher. Her quote was dogs will be dogs.

My Siberian was attacked by a pitbull, the pit had to got to the vet for several stitches and two puncture wounds. The owner wanted me to pay, but i didn't have to because my dog was on a leash and the pit wasn't. Also remember that is someone's pet so be careful they may not be so accepting of your actions, right or wrong.

this

My girlfriend's dogs (which are now my dogs as well since we've lived together for over a year) were never properly trained to be off-leash. Nor were they trained to socialize with other dogs. I really don't know what's involved in doing all that because I haven't had dogs since I was real young and I was never involved in the training. Anyhow, walking them can be sketchy because even though they are always leashed, I never know what will happen when other dog walkers are in the area. One of the places I enjoy walking is full of people walking their dogs off leash. That doesn't bother me and hell no there shouldn't be a damn law that says dogs must be leashed, but often times these unleashed dogs are not the harmless precious lovies their owner makes them out to be. Last summer a huge mastiff that seamed harmless enough trotted up to me unleashed while I was walking our young lab mix Lilly. Lilly started whimpering and trying to get away from the mastiff and I was walking backwards and yelling at the mastiff. Mastiff suddenly lunged at Lilly and attacked her and all I could do was boot the shit out of the mastiff with my steel-toe'ds. Took a few seconds to get the dog away from us and the owner was walking around the path at that moment and just said "sorry." I wanted to lay into the lady for not leashing that dog but I don't really think it was all the mastiff's fault. It sensed that Lilly was scared shitless and went in on instinct I guess. I don't know but I need to learn more about dog behavior before I go walking either of our dogs again.

I did carry pepper spray from that day on when I walked the dog/s but I never had to consider using it after that.

I was attacked by single dogs 3x so far. One time walking along a street in a crappy part of town I was luckily carrying a big auto body steel shapers anvil in a bag--put that in my hand and raised it over my head to throw at the dog's head, he saw the look of death in my eye and ran away. Another time, same crappy town, dog started barking in my face...saw a long tree branch on the ground, as soon as I picked it up it ran. The 3rd time I was deep in the woods, winter camping, hiking solo catching up to some friends, and out of nowhere a big one ran up and was barking in my face, I was getting out my knife when the dumb biyatch owner came around the corner on skis.

In each case, the dogs would not back down until I used something other than just my body or shouting at them.

So yeah, if I was in the woods and two or more dogs came at me, especially if they were wild dogs, it would shoot them without a 2nd thought or hesitation. But this time of year, I would be carrying more for the odd coyote or sick black bear starving in the woods.

A dog running up and barking at you is not a dog attacking you. If this is the extent of your experience you've been attacked 0x.

Seriously? You think yelling 100% of the time is going to stop a dog from attacking?

Come to think of it I don't need my CCW after all because in my experience all I ever had to do was use reason and dialog with a robber and they turned around and left me alone.

Where did I say that?

This thread is ridiculous.

A dog running up and barking at you is not a dog attacking you. If this is the extent of your experience you've been attacked 0x.

^^^this is true...unless you've been bitten multiple times then you haven't been attacked...i've been bitten 1 time by a dog but that was my fault, not the dogs fault but it def wasn't a dog attack...when it comes to what they consider their territory (being property or their humans) they will protect or try to intimidate but usually not attack unless provoked unless trained to do so...if it starts between 2 dogs that's a whole other situation

I would get pepper spray. You dont need a LTC anymore to purchase it. A walking stick/ski pole also is quite effective. You should get your permit to carry though. Its your right and will be pretty effective.

Last edited:
Where did I say that?

I've been walking my 20lb dog off leash in the woods and crossing paths with all sorts of dogs, friendly and otherwise, for years but have yet to come upon a situation where yelling or making an exaggerated move toward the other dog didn't stop it.

You are saying here that words... Yelling and puffing your chest will halt the aggression. That there is no need for CCW or pepper spay and we are all being prepper, paranoid.

If your plan A: Is to wait until after you get bit to carry pepper spray that's fine. That's not my plan.

Where did I say that?

You are saying here that words... Yelling and puffing your chest will halt the aggression. That there is no need for CCW or pepper spay and we are all being prepper, paranoid.

If your plan A: Is to wait until after you get bit to carry pepper spray that's fine. That's not my plan.

No, I said that I've never had to do more than raise my voice and/or make a move toward the dogs. I didn't say "yelling 100% of the time is going to stop a dog from attacking." Reading comprehension.

But hey, if you don't feel comfortable walking around without your CCW and pepper spray in the woods where other people might be walking their dogs that's your thing. Do you really plan to deploy the pepper spray on a dog who runs up to you barking though? How do you execute your Plan A, which is to spray before they can bite you? Do you walk around with the pepper spray unholstered and ready to go?

FNHFAL said:
Come to think of it I don't need my CCW after all because in my experience all I ever had to do was use reason and dialog with a robber and they turned around and left me alone

Yes, dogs and robbers are pretty much the same thing. Great example.

new guy;4342416]Are you guys really so scared of dogs in the woods that you walk around carrying clubs and thinking about what sort of firearm you should be using? Seriously, or is just the usual NES oh-yeah-well-look-how-prepared-I-am circlejerk? I've been walking my 20lb dog off leash in the woods and crossing paths with all sorts of dogs, friendly and otherwise, for years but have yet to come upon a situation where yelling or making an exaggerated move toward the other dog didn't stop it.

I'm the one who needs to improve my reading comprehension? Are you, or are you not saying that all one needs is WORDS to protect themselves from angry dogs? Rest of us are just scared?

To answer your question, yes I would pepper spray a dog, a cat, a deer, a swarm of bees, a pigeon, a person, you name it. If it comes charging at me while I'm walking ANYWHERE while minding my own business. I don't knock people who take precautions and call them scared or paranoid.

Yes, dogs and robbers are pretty much the same thing. Great example]

I am using your logic. They are your written words not mine. Off the top of my head I can think of a few cases where people reasoned with a murder not to kill them.
Just like you and your angry dog experience all that was needed was words to defuse the situation. Ahh that is so nice isn't it. Well Relying on my words to protect myself and not having a Plan B, isn't how I roll.

Last edited:
There may be less crime if we didn't have guns too. [thinking]
The answer to anything is never "more laws"

Correction: There would be less crime if we had less criminals.

I get the "more laws" thing isnt the answer, but it helps if your dog gets attacked by an off leash dog. Strangers off leash dog attacks your leashed dog, you beat strangers dog into oblivion, owners can't come after you for vet bills. If there were no leash laws, i smell a court case, which means money and time.

Not sure how keeping my dog on a leash in the woods would help reduce another persons dog that is off leash from attacking my dog.

Am I missing something here??

you're missing the fact that you're complaining about what other people do and you're doing the EXACT same thing. Everyone thinks their dog is not the problem. If both dogs are not under control then each owner bares responsibility equally regardless of which you think is the aggressor.

keeping your dog on leash lets you control whom it interacts with. I walk my relative's little doggie all the time. I keep it on a leash. When I meet other dogs at the park I pet them before my dog sniffs them. If I don't want to pet them then the little doggie certainly doesn't' want to play with them either.

It may sound like dog whisperer BS but I find it really works out well if I make the greeting first. It puts my dog at ease and lets me see how the other dog reacts to a stranger. Then if the dogs seem fine with each other I'll let little doggie off leash too to play but only after I've vetted the strange dogs.

Sometimes I'll ask the other dog owner, "is your dog friendly?" people always say "yes" but if there's any hesitation to answering then that's a "no."

Last edited:
If you shoot a dog that is attacking your dog, you will get in legal trouble.

Hey, nevermind that, or the possibility of shooting your own dog by mistake. What's the point of having a CCW if you can't use it? Especially if a dog is making threatening noises/motions/eye contact with you.

Anyone else heard of the yellow ribbon on a dog's leash? Signifies a dog that needs space and shouldn't be approached by man or dog. http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/yellow-ribbon-leash-dogs-campaign

never. I do often see people move aside and work with the problem dog while I pass. Usually they'll slowly feed it treats as a reward for not going bonkers but if the dog gets aggressive then NO TREATS FOR YOU!

I see one person that does this frequently and we've reached the point I can pet her nice rescue dog but the problem child still needs to be kept at a distance while she works with it. She's made incredible progress with the dog but I never want to pet that crazy dog. I like my fingers too much.

you're missing the fact that you're complaining about what other people do and you're doing the EXACT same thing. Everyone thinks their dog is not the problem. If both dogs are not under control then each owner bears responsibility equally regardless of which you think is the aggressor.

keeping your dog on leash lets you control whom it interacts with. I walk my relative's little doggie all the time. I keep it on a leash. When I meet other dogs at the park I pet them before my dog sniffs them. If I don't want to pet them then the little doggie certainly doesn't' want to play with them either.

It may sound like dog whisperer BS but I find it really works out well if I make the greeting first. Then if the dogs seem fine with each other I'll let little doggie off leash too to play but only after I've vetted the strange dogs.

I believe his dog was on leash and the other dog that attacked his dog was off leash, So how is that the same, his dog is not the threat.??

When i had my dog and would take him for walks in areas where off leash was feasible, most people would immediately leash their dog when they saw another dog on leash or off leash, that's proper dog walking etiquette. Since we live in a society of morons, we have morons that fail to use this type of common sense, they also fail to know or just simply ignore the fact that their own dog does not do well with other dogs.

And i do agree with a leash law, dogs can do harm and damage i think it helps certain situations that may be gray turn more black and white.

"Hey your dog killed my dog"
"sorry, your dog was not on a leash, to bad so sad"

Ski poles W/Wo baskets depending on season. If I feel it is going to be a bad day i carry one of my 95 cm obsolete ice axes. Adze, drooped serrated pick and a spike at the end of the shaft. I don't have a dog. Most people give me a wide berth with or without dogs. Works for me.

Yeah, bunch of dogs fighting. I don't give a f*ck. Control your g*dd*amned animals or keep them home. One of the family? I don't give a sh*t if you like them slobbering on you in bed. I'll kill your dog if they try to bite me our mine.

Walking up Pack Monadnock with my 8yr-old son, I met a guy walking down with his off-leash dog (where it's posted No Dogs) and he shouts "My dog doesn't do well with kids". The dog lunges at my son and I give him a whack with my cane (www.canemasters.com). He flips out and I tell him to get the h*ll out of here. I called 911 and they bungled it up, failing to intercept at the lot below.

what would you carry in the woods to protect your dog from another aggressive dog , btw I don't have a license to carry and don't think a gun is necessary. Any other legal options??

How about a more aggressive dog?
Honestly I don't get it why keep a submissive dog in the first place. What's the point? Get your wife a cat. You won't have to walk it, it eats less and is just as useless!

Back
Top Bottom