• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proposal to come before Lexington Town Meeting

While a good idea, we have seen that many towns and municipalities don't seem to care about the loss of $$ when it comes to these restrictions.
Plenty of these boneheads such as Colorado are willing to throw away jobs AND private business tax revenue. Magpul is estimated to have contributed about 200 jobs and 10's of millions of dollars to the tax base. These idiots are only now feeling the burn.

Lexingtons tourism is a good chunk of change at about $75M annually (data from local paper 14'). Impossible to determine what % they would lose if this passes though. I think the message shouldn't just be about the loss of money, but EXACTLY how it will effect the town. Using examples such as the closure of restaurants, the tourism office, loss of specific jobs, etc. would be a good tactic. Whether certain moonbats have a change in heart is difficult to tell. These are the type of people who think magic money fairies exist you know.

So they will feel the burn sooner or later.

This is why I am suggesting it. Furthermore - if Lexington gets a worldwide reputation as the place where the Revolution started - but is now full of people who have turned their back on the founding principles - that won't go well for them in the long run. You can't expect to achieve immediate results. The guy who is proposing this law has said he hopes that it's a template for other towns doing the same thing. The task is to prove him wrong.

Furthermore - there is a recession coming. Most of the people I read who I trust, people who look at the indicators and have been correct in the past - say it's coming this year or the next. And it's likely to be as bad as it was in 2007-2008. Since most people are completely ignorant as to cause and effect - the guy proposing this bylaw is a perfect example - why not ride the wave? Start the effort to portray Lexington as having completely disavowed the founding principles and therefore is a place you should not spend your hard earned money - and the recession will take care of the effect.

They're going to feel a burn one way or another - since they likely won't be able to connect cause and effect the result will be the same.

I brought up Zumbo because it was such a perfect example of how the power of the consumer is a mighty one. That whole thing turned into a shitstorm for him inside of a week. Within three weeks on the outside he was crying for mercy.

If Lexington pulls in $75 million in tourist dollars a year - that is VERY big stick to be waving over their heads.

These people have declared war on a fundamental right - nothing should be left off the table.

And people keep saying " they won't change their minds" - the mind-changing is not what I'm counting on.

What happens in situations like these is that when certain people realize what is happening - then behind closed doors conversations happen and certain other people get told to shut the hell up.

That's the dynamic you need to trust in .

Politics is about putting pressure and making people feel pain. If you're unwilling to do that - you're not doing it right.

According to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexington,_Massachusetts

The population of the Town of Lexington in 31,394 at the 2010 census.

If your number of $75 million coming into the town because of tourism is correct - then that means that for every person in town the tourism brings in $2389.00.

Do you think Lexington is going to be able to fund all their fancy shit if even half of that money dries up?

No more fancy bike paths, no more fancy DPW buildings, no more fancy high school and subsidized METCO students..................

Money always talks.

According to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexington,_Massachusetts

The population of the Town of Lexington in 31,394 at the 2010 census.

If your number of $75 million coming into the town because of tourism is correct - then that means that for every person in town the tourism brings in $2389.00.

Do you think Lexington is going to be able to fund all their fancy shit if even half of that money dries up?

No more fancy bike paths, no more fancy DPW buildings, no more fancy high school and subsidized METCO students..................

Money always talks.

GREAT IDEA!!!! A PICKET of Patriot's Day activities in Lexington. Better still, an open carry picket!

There should be someone at Town Meeting who comes in Minuteman regalia, and gives a re-read of a famous speech, to alert them to the irony of this warrant article.

I really think this thread should be put into the Member's area, or a new one started there, for planning purposes.

GREAT IDEA!!!! A PICKET of Patriot's Day activities in Lexington. Better still, an open carry picket!

There should be someone at Town Meeting who comes in Minuteman regalia, and gives a re-read of a famous speech, to alert them to the irony of this warrant article.

I really think this thread should be put into the Member's area, or a new one started there, for planning purposes.

By Patriots Day this will be over.

Guys, GOAL is going to discuss this in detail at the Annual Meeting. This meeting is open to GOAL members only and is schedule for the same weekend as the Marlborough gun show, in the same location.

I highly suggest that anyone interested in working towards stopping this proposal stop by for the meeting, then there will be plenty of time to go browse the gun show.

Keep in mind, this meeting is for GOAL members only and attendees are checked in, you must RSVP in advance.

Here's the details:

GOAL Annual Breakfast & Meeting of Membership
When: Sun, January 31, 9am – 12pm
Where: Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, 181 Boston Post Rd W, Marlborough, MA 01752, United States (map)
Description: GOAL's Annual Meeting of the Membership.

$25.00 cost includes buffet breakfast.

Review, discuss, exchange ideas for the best practices.

To purchase tickets/reserve your seat - contact Angela: [email protected] or call 508-393-5333 or use order form attached.

Also, GOAL is working on scheduling a meeting to be held in the Lexington area for concerned residents. Details TBA ASAP

We should have an armed march/rally on Lexington Green. Has that ever happened before?

At dawn Smith's advanced parties under the command of Major Pitcairn, arrived at Lexington Green to see a group of armed Militia in formation across the Green. Pitcairn ordered the militia, led by John Parker, to be surrounded and disarmed. In response Parker ordered his men to disperse. Then a shot rang out. No one really knows who fired first, but the British, hearing the shot, fired upon the small group of militia, killing 8, and wounding 10 more. The militia then retreated into the woods to avoid the Briti sh fire. So started the first battle in the American Revolutionary War.

The Battles of Lexington and Concord were the first military engagements of the American Revolutionary War.

April 18, 1775 - General Gage orders 700 British soldiers to Concord to destroy the colonists' weapons depot.
At dawn on April 19 about 70 armed Massachusetts militiamen stand face to face on Lexington Green with the British advance guard

700 Soldiers!!! These 70 stood up to 700. Just pointing that out.

Can we start protesting and rallying at these fascists' homes yet? Though not surprising from the town that banned bottled water, it's unacceptable and will surely set a precedent for other MA towns to follow. And I know people are half serious about an armed rally, but if it comes to confiscation in the town that might not be such bad idea

Edit:

Also how can the town issue/revoke permits to rally on the Lexington green? Isn't it federal property? Or is that just the minute man park of whatever

CLICK THIS LINK

By Patriots Day this will be over.

Guys, GOAL is going to discuss this in detail at the Annual Meeting. This meeting is open to GOAL members only and is schedule for the same weekend as the Marlborough gun show, in the same location.

I highly suggest that anyone interested in working towards stopping this proposal stop by for the meeting, then there will be plenty of time to go browse the gun show.

Keep in mind, this meeting is for GOAL members only and attendees are checked in, you must RSVP in advance.

Here's the details:
Also, GOAL is working on scheduling a meeting to be held in the Lexington area for concerned residents.

Well, it was still a good idea for a few seconds there. Note to all: Pay attention to Mike S and GOAL's lead, but don't be afraid to come up with your own ideas as well. I'm sure at this meeting, that they will be open to input and ideas.

Last edited:

Thanks Doug, just to be clear, GOAL seeks to enable the resistance, not to lead it. GOAL wants to teach, guide and encourage the citizens of Lexington to get after this and defeat it. As I said two posts ago, GOAL will kick off discussion with anyone who would like to be involved at the Annual Meeting, I hope the place is packed.

That is the mission and we will accomplish it.

Pass this out

"Whenever governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."
— Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789.
"... the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms."

If I may suggest, follow the money is the way to beat things like this. Facts, history and principle are all good, but most towns are more concerned about their bottom line than anything else. Figure out how this article will cost the town, either with lower revenues or higher expenses (ex. lawsuits), and hammer that to the selectboard, finance, zoning and planning committees prior to town meeting, and then at town meeting.

Second, work at elected officials' greatest fear, losing office. Inform elected officials that support this article, including town meeting representatives, that they will face opposition at their next election. Mention the word "recall" for any that are not up for re-election this year. Don't forget the town moderator (if Lexington has one). They control the flow of town meeting and can make or break an article. Appointed officials can be addressed through their elected appointing authority.

Good luck

Lexington can't even get a new school passed (and they need one badly). It certainly would be ironic if the townspeople "showed up" for this proposal before a new school and at the same time opening themselves up for potential legal battles/bills.

Shows where their priorities are as a town.

If I may suggest, follow the money is the way to beat things like this. Facts, history and principle are all good, but most towns are more concerned about their bottom line than anything else. Figure out how this article will cost the town, either with lower revenues or higher expenses (ex. lawsuits), and hammer that to the selectboard, finance, zoning and planning committees prior to town meeting, and then at town meeting.

Second, work at elected officials' greatest fear, losing office. Inform elected officials that support this article, including town meeting representatives, that they will face opposition at their next election. Mention the word "recall" for any that are not up for re-election this year. Don't forget the town moderator (if Lexington has one). They control the flow of town meeting and can make or break an article. Appointed officials can be addressed through their elected appointing authority.

Good luck

Exactly.

Let them know that if this measure passes then the "gun community" will let it be known far and wide what happened - and that we will strenously suggest that people just simply do not visit the town and enable this kind of legislative behavior by supporting it with their money.

Money always talks - sooner or later.

April is coming. The time to get busy is now.

Good luck

"Second, work at elected officials' greatest fear, losing office. Inform elected officials that support this article, including town meeting representatives, that they will face opposition at their next election. "

Opposition from whom? Another moonbat in town?

"Mention the word "recall" for any that are not up for re-election this year."

I believe Lexington does not have a recall provision in their bylaws/charter, etc.

"Don't forget the town moderator (if Lexington has one)."

Lexington does have one, and it is a one year elected term.

Thanks

Last edited:

"Lexington does have one, and it is a one year elected term."

The "election" of the moderator in Lexington is a formality. There hasn't been a contested race for this important position in decades (literally).

Second, work at elected officials' greatest fear, losing office. Inform elected officials that support this article, including town meeting representatives, that they will face opposition at their next election.

Opposition from whom? Another moonbat in town?
My recommendation presumed there are residents of Lexington who care about this issue, and who are willing to do something about it, including run for office if need be. If no one in Lexington cares enough about this to even consider running for office then IMNSHO it's highly unlikely to be able to stop it.

Mention the word "recall" for any that are not up for re-election this year.
I believe Lexington does not have a recall provision in their bylaws/charter, etc.
OK. I thought MA had a state level "default" allowing for local official recalls, but doing some more looking that does not appear to be the case. Given that, the tactic has to then be to bring a recall bylaw article to the town, pass it, and use it. Probably not much of a help at this point.

Don't forget the town moderator (if Lexington has one).
Lexington does have one, and it is a one year elected term.
The "election" of the moderator in Lexington is a formality. There hasn't been a contested race for this important position in decades (literally).
Then they're ripe for replacement. [grin]

All of this presumes there are residents who are against this article and willing to put in some time and effort, even long-term effort such as running for office if need be. Without some level of local leverage little can be done. Outsiders can and will be ignored.

When do voting members get elected?

If it's before the town meeting I would start there by trying to get some good people elected. Short of that I would be holding rallies, protests, etc at every BoS meeting or other town meeting. People with signs. Doesn't need to be residents either.

Just spoke to the Lexington town clerk.

The warrant is being finalized, the citizen article from Rotberg will definitely be on the warrant.

They expect to publish it online in early February.

They have to mail a copy of the warrant to every resident with an in hand date at least 7 days before town meeting. They're targeting a two week "out front" date.

hmmmmm... two week "out front" date. I would have to check (and I no longer have my resource) but the amount of notice to residents is dictated by law and 2 weeks seems short to my recollection.

If it's before the town meeting I would start there by trying to get some good people elected. Short of that I would be holding rallies, protests, etc at every BoS meeting or other town meeting. People with signs. Doesn't need to be residents either.

Check out the listing of town meeting members, it's linked on GOAL's alert page, it has the date for each member as to when their term is up. Also note Kate Colburn in the 4th has already publicly stated that she is in support of Rotberg's article and stated "bring it on" re: Lexington residents opposition to it.

Ok, well if you want to run or have new candidates run, they had until 1-8-16 to pull nomination papers. Then, they need to go out and gather the required signatures, and then file those nomination papers by next Tuesday, 1-12-16. Then, they can be on the ballot and you can "get some good people elected."

See, the problem is, that people are not regularly engaged and involved with their local government. They let others do the hard, heavy laborious, boring work that is local governance. They are not aware even of how the local process works. So, they say let's just get some good people elected, like it can just happen. And then, then when an important issue like this comes up in a Lexington or a Berkley or a West Brookfield, they are surprised that things cannot and will not go their way. Well, they cannot go your way because you have not been involved, and you let others, those who don't think like you and I, run the show. By then, by now, it is too late.

"Lexington does have one, and it is a one year elected term."

The Town Moderator's job is to manage the flow of the meeting, to be impartial and fair in letting both sides be heard. S/he can not show any partisanship or vote. So think of the job is that of a traffic cop, they have no power to determine the outcome of an article. Pointless to replace/remove a Town Moderator due to an article (any article) you disagree with unless they treat one side or the other unfairly.

My recommendation presumed there are residents of Lexington who care about this issue, and who are willing to do something about it, including run for office if need be. If no one in Lexington cares enough about this to even consider running for office then IMNSHO it's highly unlikely to be able to stop it.

OK. I thought MA had a state level "default" allowing for local official recalls, but doing some more looking that does not appear to be the case. Given that, the tactic has to then be to bring a recall bylaw article to the town, pass it, and use it. Probably not much of a help at this point.

Then they're ripe for replacement. [grin]

All of this presumes there are residents who are against this article and willing to put in some time and effort, even long-term effort such as running for office if need be. Without some level of local leverage little can be done. Outsiders can and will be ignored.

No statewide recall provision and few cities/towns might have it. It can be much abused as well as used wisely, so one must be careful with that process. It would also take a long time to implement, so would have no effect on the current issue.

Already posted a few ago, the window closed for this coming election cycle on 1/8.

Just curious, even if this passes in Lexington , would this hold up? This would ban ownership, didn't Hellen uphold this right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk 2

The Town Moderator's job is to manage the flow of the meeting, to be impartial and fair in letting both sides be heard. S/he can not show any partisanship or vote. So think of the job is that of a traffic cop, they have no power to determine the outcome of an article. Pointless to replace/remove a Town Moderator due to an article (any article) you disagree with unless they treat one side or the other unfairly.
That's the theory, and it usually works that way, but I've seen some of the ways a moderator can influence debate and decisions, such as:
  • Calls on people who wish to speak, controlling the order. I've seen people from one side subtly favored over the other, even some people "overlooked" and not get a chance to speak
  • Can cut off debate and call the question to vote, deciding both sides have spoken enough
  • Can rule comments and motions out of order
  • Recognizes people who wish to make a motion on an article, and so can recognize someone they know has a favorable motion for or against first
  • Determines the outcome of voice votes, and some standing votes
  • Can have people removed for being disorderly
All of these moves can be countered, if one is alert, versed in Robert's Rules, and has some support. It really helps to be known, not in a bad way, to those in charge. Bottom line is, getting involved in your town is how you affect things like this article.

Kevin, you are correct.

We currently have a terrible Moderator and he tried to shut me down (ruling me out of order) when I pointed out that the motion on the floor would not accomplish what was intended (building a DPW building). Thankfully, the Selectmen recognized the problem and told the Moderator that Town Counsel was now busily re-writing the motion.

No statewide recall provision and few cities/towns might have it. It can be much abused as well as used wisely, so one must be careful with that process. It would also take a long time to implement, so would have no effect on the current issue.

Already posted a few ago, the window closed for this coming election cycle on 1/8.

It is never too late, anyone want to get someone elected as town meeting member, they can do write-in election at the election day to be voted in. That means you need to get some number of people write the same names on the ballet. From history records, that normally requires 100-200 people to write the names.

I seriously doubt the tourist dollar will diminish because of the passing of this bylaw. I may even suggest the dollar amount might increase if every one in the country really make a big fuss about it. They can say that they change the world again if other follows.

It is never too late, anyone want to get someone elected as town meeting member, they can do write-in election at the election day to be voted in. That means you need to get some number of people write the same names on the ballet. From history records, that normally requires 100-200 people to write the names.

ok. Good luck.

...Money always talks - sooner or later.

April is coming. The time to get busy is now.

You just KNOW the other side is working on this even now.

Ok, well if you want to run or have new candidates run, they had until 1-8-16 to pull nomination papers. Then, they need to go out and gather the required signatures, and then file those nomination papers by next Tuesday, 1-12-16. Then, they can be on the ballot and you can "get some good people elected."

See, the problem is, that people are not regularly engaged and involved with their local government. They let others do the hard, heavy laborious, boring work that is local governance. They are not aware even of how the local process works. So, they say let's just get some good people elected, like it can just happen. And then, then when an important issue like this comes up in a Lexington or a Berkley or a West Brookfield, they are surprised that things cannot and will not go their way. Well, they cannot go your way because you have not been involved, and you let others, those who don't think like you and I, run the show. By then, by now, it is too late.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to free again.

Maybe a bit late, but most likely not TOO late.

Look what Deb (PennyPincher) did in Westford (or was it Weston?). What is needed are some dedicated people from Lexington who want to defeat this, and some support from the rest of town, as well as outside town, such as from here and GOAL.

The Town Moderator's job is to manage the flow of the meeting, to be impartial and fair in letting both sides be heard. S/he can not show any partisanship or vote. ...

Of course, this is NEVER the case. They are always partial and do as they wish.

That's the theory, and it usually works that way, but I've seen some of the ways a moderator can influence debate and decisions, such as:
  • Calls on people who wish to speak, controlling the order. I've seen people from one side subtly favored over the other, even some people "overlooked" and not get a chance to speak
  • Can cut off debate and call the question to vote, deciding both sides have spoken enough
  • Can rule comments and motions out of order
  • Recognizes people who wish to make a motion on an article, and so can recognize someone they know has a favorable motion for or against first
  • Determines the outcome of voice votes, and some standing votes
  • Can have people removed for being disorderly
All of these moves can be countered, if one is alert, versed in Robert's Rules, and has some support. It really helps to be known, not in a bad way, to those in charge. Bottom line is, getting involved in your town is how you affect things like this article.

See? Like I said...

There you go! THAT is the spirit!

I seriously doubt the tourist dollar will diminish because of the passing of this bylaw. I may even suggest the dollar amount might increase if every one in the country really make a big fuss about it. They can say that they change the world again if other follows.

A nice protest would help. Reaching out nationally would help (NRA, other forums, even presidential candidates?). I still think applying NOW for marching in the parade would be great.

Or an open carry BBQ? The ORIGINAL Lexingtonians would, and DID more than a peaceful rally. They took on the British army with odds against them 10:1.

Back
Top Bottom