• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proposal to come before Lexington Town Meeting

This will surely help reduce the murder rate in Lexington. (zero for last 15 years)

This should be the sole reply to that douchebaggery. It appears the last one was about 23 years ago, and that was a stabbing. This is a waste of town meeting time on a non-existent problem and he should be chastised for it.

View attachment 155264

Can we start protesting and rallying at these fascists' homes yet? Though not surprising from the town that banned bottled water, it's unacceptable and will surely set a precedent for other MA towns to follow. And I know people are half serious about an armed rally, but if it comes to confiscation in the town that might not be such bad idea

Edit:

Also how can the town issue/revoke permits to rally on the Lexington green? Isn't it federal property? Or is that just the minute man park of whatever

Last edited:
The water issue was concord not lexington. I can tell you without a doubt that armed rallies or armed protests would be a disaster. These people have never seen a gun up close except ironically on the Patriot's day parade. They would be so horrified that guns were in their midst that I think they would come out in droves to support a town ban.

The water issue was concord not lexington. I can tell you without a doubt that armed rallies or armed protests would be a disaster. These people have never seen a gun up close except ironically on the Patriot's day parade. They would be so horrified that guns were in their midst that I think they would come out in droves to support a town ban.

Ah ok. I thought it was the whole concord/lincoln/Sudbury/Lexington utopia that banned the water.

I was saying if they try to start confiscating "banned" Killy things then an armed rally would be a good idea. Yes doing that before its voted on would be a poor life choice

Ah ok. I thought it was the whole concord/lincoln/Sudbury/Lexington utopia that banned the water.

Even we voted that down...

We've had a couple of people make similar suggestions about doing this in Sudbury, doesn't even make it to the ballot. BoS want to stay the Hell out of the debate.

Aloha

got an email from FS about this issue....they have a huge email list should help get the word out
Same here. I received an alert from FS. As a Lexington resident and US citizen, I just sent my email to Lexington Board of Selectmen with the comments on how outrageous this proposed legislation is.

Sudbury had an al-Qaida terrorist wannabee living in town too - too bad he didn't choose the "cradle of freedom" to make his home. Now that Lexington wants to disarm itself isn't it inviting copycats?

Last edited:
Great to see Carl picked this up and is getting the word out. While I'm not a Lexington resident, I have several friends and some family who are and I'm all in for helping make our presence felt on this issue - in a professional and civil way.

You're welcome. All of us Lexingtonians should organize before this thing hits town meeting - maybe have a meet-up at Pete's before heading over to Cary Hall.

I noticed there was one of these Yes/No dialogues in the Globe yesterday, this one on so-called assault "assault weapons": http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...ult-weapons/MH4Uyv4qS9d20oXca4xUAL/story.html

In the immortal words of JFK, are we all not Lexingtonians? [grin]

Two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was civis romanus sum ["I am a Roman citizen"]. Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Lexingtonian!"... All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Lexington, and therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Lexingtonian!"

John F. Kennedy June 26, 1963

Great to see Carl picked this up and is getting the word out. While I'm not a Lexington resident, I have several friends and some family who are and I'm all in for helping make our presence felt on this issue - in a professional and civil way.

Yeah, glad to see that this is getting attention. My BIL and SIL live in Lexington but I am not going to bother talking to them about it, she is a total anti and he has been de-balled. A couple of years ago he asked me to help him get his LTC and when his wifey found out she threw a fit. He withdrew his application.

I didn't even know about or notice the "New Posts" button until a few years after I joined the forum....
I still usually just go straight to the General Discussion, or Off Topic sections, and then occasionally hit New Posts.

In practice, General Discussion does seem to be used for current-events related to firearms, including political and legislative stuff. I think this thread being in General Discussion would not be inappropriate, and it would probably get more exposure as well.

-------------

What are the closest ranges/clubs to Lexington? Woburn sportsmens association? Concord Rod & Gun? Weston Shooters Club?
I don't know of any actually in Lexington.
Actually while not a public range a friend of mine is on a local PD and their outdoor range is where the old Lexington dump used to be off of Hartwell ave. They actually use full auto AR's there and that less than a 1/2 mile from Hanscomb.

In the immortal words of JFK, are we all not Lexingtonians? [grin]

resized_i-m-spartacus-meme-generator-i-am-spartacus-no-i-am-spartacus-d7bfd2.jpg

Robert Irwin Rotberg (born April 11, 1935) is an American who served as President emeritus of the World Peace Foundation (1993–2010). An American professor in governance and foreign affairs, he was director of the Program on Intrastate Conflict, Conflict Prevention, and Conflict Resolution at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government(1999–2010), and has served in administrative positions at Tufts Universityand Lafayette College.In 2003-2004, he served as a member of the Secretary of State's Advisory Panel on Africa, and was a Presidential appointee to the Council of theNational Endowment for the Humanities. In 2007 at the Kennedy School, he directed the establishment of the Index for African Governance, to help evaluate leaders for the Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership, awarded annually by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation. A trustee ofOberlin College, Rotberg is a visiting professor at the College of Europe inBruges, Belgium. In 2013 Rotberg became the Fulbright Research Chair in Political Development at the Balsillie School of International Affairs in Waterloo, Canada.[SUP][1]

[/SUP]

Let me condense this biography for you: Robert Rotberg has never done an honest days work in his life.

Robert Irwin Rotberg (born April 11, 1935) is an American who served as President emeritus of the World Peace Foundation (1993–2010). An American professor in governance and foreign affairs, he was director of the Program on Intrastate Conflict, Conflict Prevention, and Conflict Resolution at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government(1999–2010), and has served in administrative positions at Tufts Universityand Lafayette College.In 2003-2004, he served as a member of the Secretary of State's Advisory Panel on Africa, and was a Presidential appointee to the Council of theNational Endowment for the Humanities. In 2007 at the Kennedy School, he directed the establishment of the Index for African Governance, to help evaluate leaders for the Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership, awarded annually by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation. A trustee ofOberlin College, Rotberg is a visiting professor at the College of Europe inBruges, Belgium. In 2013 Rotberg became the Fulbright Research Chair in Political Development at the Balsillie School of International Affairs in Waterloo, Canada.[SUP][1]

[/SUP]

Let me condense this biography for you: Robert Rotberg has never done an honest days work in his life.

He must have created his own Wikipedia page. I mean, what kind of person would make a Wikipedia page about themselves?

He must have created his own Wikipedia page. I mean, what kind of person would make a Wikipedia page about themselves?

The kind of person who would admit on the Internet (in his original Town Meeting forum post) that his motivation for his proposal was to perpetuate the perception that Lexington was progressive because of its place in the history of the Revolution. He blatantly admits that his agenda is 100% political. Regardless of anything about him, he should be opposed on that fact primarily: that he is proposing making current law abiding citizens into criminals purely for political glory.

I tried looking for a picture of that patriot statue with tears coming out, but can't find one.

This is just so sad. I'd go as far as to say it is a national or even international tragedy that this would even be considered.

We should start organizing now! People who are residents of Lexington, or have family/friends in Lexington and would like to help in fighting this please PM me. If you are already involved in fighting this please PM me as well. We don't have a lot of time, so we need to move quickly and decisively.

So what can non-residents due to help this cause? Yes the donate to Comm2A but what else.
Can we show up at the meeting in March as a show of support?
Should we be calling and emailing Rotberg?

Here's some info on the schedule:

http://www.lexingtonma.gov/home/bulletins/special-town-meetings

It looks to me like the deadline for getting items on the Warrant is tomorrow, 1/7. I would expect that it be published and available sometime before the selectman meeting on Monday, 1/11. I would expect at that meeting the selectman would be voting on each item whether to "recommend" or "not-recommend", and send everything to the town meeting. Then the actual vote will be at the town meeting, by elected "town meeting members" on Feb 8. Both the selectmen meeting and town-meeting should be open to all residents and possibly non-residents as well. Assuming its the same as my town, only elected town-meeting members get to vote on this issue. All town-meeting members should be allowed to speak on the issues, but might be time-limited. The non-member residents might also get to speak but more limited.

Based on experiences in Reading recently, it will be pretty important to contact each of the selectmen and find out where they stand. Then stress how much of a PITA this proposal will make their lives. There's going to be lawsuits. There might be new people running for selectmen seats and town-meeting seats. This will bring out all sorts of attention to the town gov, that will become a nuisance to them. It will take time and resources away for all the other BS that they want to do in town. We still don't have the exact wording of the new ordinance, but is the Lex PD going to go door-to-door with the confiscation van? What is the town prepared to do if otherwise law-abiding citizens(checked and licensed by the LPD) who've owned an item for 20 years, don't want to give it up?

In my town, the selectmen and town-meeting members generally like things when very few people are interested and show up to vote,and show up to meetings. If you look at the last election results, you'll probably see that some seats are only won by a handful of votes. There are a bunch of town-meeting members here who only get a couple of votes TOTAL and win their seats, and there are open seats sometimes as well.

In Reading, the selectmen were much more sensitive to the resource drain issues than the town-meeting members. The town meeting members seemed to be either for or against strictly on principals. The town-meeting members meet only a few times each year, but the selectmen meet every week, and don't want their weekly meeting bogged down with issues like this.

Can you confirm that Feb 8 date? I was told that the article would be voted on at the annual meeting on 3/21.

- - - Updated - - -

So what can non-residents due to help this cause? Yes the donate to Comm2A but what else.
Can we show up at the meeting in March as a show of support?
Should we be calling and emailing Rotberg?

No offense to Comm2A, definitely support them, they won't do anything about this until after the ban is passed, if you want to help stop it before that you need to support GOAL's efforts, they're the .org that is working on it.

ETA GOAL is working on organizing a meeting for Lexington residents who are interested in seeing this stopped, the date should be announced within the next week.

Last edited:
Can you confirm that Feb 8 date? I was told that the article would be voted on at the annual meeting on 3/21.

Since the Warrant hasn't appeared yet, I don't know if this issue will be on the for the "Special Town" meeting on 2/8. I got the schedule from the page I linked at the top of my post:

http://www.lexingtonma.gov/home/bulletins/special-town-meetings

Special Town Meeting The Board of Selectmen has called for a Special Town Meeting for Monday, February 8.
Anticipated warrant articles are:

• Accept revised Minuteman School District Regional Agreement
  • Appropriate funds for Purchase of 20 Pelham Road
  • Appropriate funds for Hastings School Design/Feasibility Study
The Warrant will close for citizen articles on Thursday, January 7.
The Selectmen will vote the Warrant on Monday, January 11.

From that page, I was able to get to the calendar which I thought showed the meeting on 2/8, but now I don't see it. It looked to me like the deadline to get items on the Warrant for the 2/8 town meeting is today, so I was assuming that they would submit their signatures and actual text of the proposed article in by today.

Last edited:
No offense to Comm2A, definitely support them, they won't do anything about this until after the ban is passed, if you want to help stop it before that you need to support GOAL's efforts, they're the .org that is working on it.

ETA GOAL is working on organizing a meeting for Lexington residents who are interested in seeing this stopped, the date should be announced within the next week.

People need to understand the difference between the 2 orgs! GOAL's charter is legislative . . . in this case to try to prevent this garbage from becoming law . . . whereas Comm2A's charter is to challenge laws in US District Court (and they can't do that until this garbage passes into law). So therefore the most effective avenue right now is PREVENTION (GOAL's job)!

I'd be careful not to get accused of harassment though (since his home address is public info at the assessor's website).

He's also a committed fool, so addressing him in any way is a waste of energy. Deal with the gov't agencies who make recommendations to Town Meeting (Selectmen and Planning Board in this case) PLUS the Representative Town Meeting Members to kill this by recommending that it ought not to pass and then voting "indefinite postponement" at the Town Meeting.

People need to understand the difference between the 2 orgs! GOAL's charter is legislative . . . in this case to try to prevent this garbage from becoming law . . . whereas Comm2A's charter is to challenge laws in US District Court (and they can't do that until this garbage passes into law). So therefore the most effective avenue right now is PREVENTION (GOAL's job)!

He's also a committed fool, so addressing him in any way is a waste of energy. Deal with the gov't agencies who make recommendations to Town Meeting (Selectmen and Planning Board in this case) PLUS the Representative Town Meeting Members to kill this by recommending that it ought not to pass and then voting "indefinite postponement" at the Town Meeting.

One would need to vote on the "indefinite postponement" motion first. Then, whether or not that motion passes (makes no difference to subsequent main motion), you can go on to the main motion and vote no.

The indef postponement only applies to that current session of course, in any event.

Back
Top Bottom