• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

proper storage of firearm

jeffC

NES Member
whats the MA law on proper storage of a firearm? i know its gotta be locked up somehow at all times....but if ive got it in a locked safe, does it still NEED a trigger lock or a lock on the actual fireame to be considered "legally stored" ? or can i just keep it in the safe "locked and loaded", and not have to worry about any legal reprocussions because its in said safe.

...can i just keep it in the safe "locked and loaded", and not have to worry about any legal reprocussions because its in said safe.

Yes, the safe itself is sufficient to comply with the storage requirements.

You don't need to put a trigger lock on it if it is in a safe.

See MGL Chapter 140 Section 131l, which reads, in part:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

full text of the law here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

I'm down in Texas right now, staying in a house with no-one under 25 - except the dogs. It's feels strange being able to leave a gun out in the house without locking it up. Guess I have been in MA too long :)

I'm down in Texas right now,

Hope you have some fun while you're in TX.
I just got back from Houston last night. I enjoyed just seeing the many ranges/gun shops within 25 miles of my hotel on google maps ! Since I had some time to myself Mon/Tues after work, I had a bunch of fun spending a couple good hours at a local range shooting several pistols I can't buy in MA... and window shopping at "Carter's Country" which had 100+ ft of counter space for just handguns with an equal or greater distance of rifle/shot gun racks beyond that, and each a pistol, rifle/shotgun range and separate Trap field out back... I even found some 6mm Rem ammo that I haven't been able to find locally.
I just loved how normal it all was for them.

Hope you have some fun while you're in TX.
I'm in a meeting over the weekend, but I'm spending a couple of days at a 1911 factory since I'm in town. This is much cooler than watching how laws or sausages are made.

Rob, I look forward to seeing what Sandy makes up for you.
Probably later; I'm leaning on him to finish a gun he is fixing for the club pres. I might need to move to this to the "getting attacked by a pit pull" thread since one is licking me as I type this.

of course. you DO have a right to keep a loaded gun - it just has to be in a locked safe - the law technically allows you to keep a loaded gun with a trigger lock but lets see that logic....trigger lock, bar across my trigger with a loaded .357....yeah, that's safety!

I keep a 1911, cocked and locked and locked in a box bolted to the floor by my bed

Yes. Read the storage law again:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

The storage law doesn't say anything about the gun being unloaded. It just has to be in a locked container or have some locking device properly installed and locked.

really.jpg

Back
Top Bottom