Private Daycare/Preschool Conceal Carry

So my daughter goes to a private daycare center where she is in their preschool class. I carry all day and on days I need to pick her up I have been going home first to drop off the goods.

Then, I started thinking.... Are these centeres considered the same as a .gov run school? I'm sure the policy at these schools are no firearms.... But concealed means concealed?

Any one know if it is illegal to carry at a daycare?

Privately owned, I would think is no different than a restaurant saying no guns.
You said it - concealed means concealed....But if you get made your probably going to be looking for a new daycare....

I don't believe the statute distinguishes between public and private schools. Think about private universities, Catholic schools, etc. -- would you carry there?

G.L. ch 269 sec. 14 has this definition:
''School'', any public or private preschool, headstart facility, elementary, vocational or secondary school, college or university.

I don't believe the statute distinguishes between public and private schools. Think about private universities, Catholic schools, etc. -- would you carry there?

G.L. ch 269 sec. 14 has this definition:
''School'', any public or private preschool, headstart facility, elementary, vocational or secondary school, college or university.
Ugh.

Yeah I guess these daycare centers are not considered schools [private learning centers] but who the F knows.....

Ugh.

Yeah I guess these daycare centers are not considered schools [private learning centers] but who the F knows.....
A general daycare center probably isn't considered one (IANAL), but a private preschool would almost certainly be considered one. Especially if you got jammed up as a test case in a state like Massachusetts.

Privately owned, I would think is no different than a restaurant saying no guns.
You said it - concealed means concealed....But if you get made your probably going to be looking for a new daycare....

Private schools are also privately owned, but I have no doubt that if you are discovered carrying on a private high school without permission that you will be facing prosecution.

My take is that day-care is not a carry excluded location.

General Law Section 269, Chapter 10 Section J
Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer and notwithstanding any license obtained by the person pursuant to chapter 140, carries on the person a firearm, loaded or unloaded, or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of the elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or both. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant and detain a person found carrying a firearm in violation of this paragraph.

I would be concerned that pre-school might be seen as elementary school. Although with the modifier "pre", you would think that a pre-school by definition is not classified as a school.
Your local DA might see things differently.

Especially if you got jammed up as a test case in a state like Massachusetts.
This. Faced with a gray area: can you find a DA willing to prosecute and an anti judge to listen? Even if unsuccessful on legal grounds they're willing to fund the fight with our tax dollars until you or the state folds.

I think the Law is open to all types of interpretation. A good friend of mine had a stroke the other day so I headed down to Beth Israel Deaconess last night. I've carried concealed plenty of times in various Hospitals without issue. I got to thinking that whereas they are a Teaching Hospital, could this be construed as college or university ?
I locked my firearm in my console vault in a private parking garage not on the Hospital campus, then went in to see my friend.

This. Faced with a gray area: can you find a DA willing to prosecute and an anti judge to listen? Even if unsuccessful on legal grounds they're willing to fund the fight with our tax dollars until you or the state folds.
And to add to Brewer's statement. In our state it's not a question of a willing DA and anti-judge. You WILL find a willing DA and be at the whim of the judge.
I think the Law is open to all types of interpretation. A good friend of mine had a stroke the other day so I headed down to Beth Israel Deaconess last night. I've carried concealed plenty of times in various Hospitals without issue. I got to thinking that whereas they are a Teaching Hospital, could this be construed as college or university ?
I locked my firearm in my console vault in a private parking garage not on the Hospital campus, then went in to see my friend.
Has already been addressed in previous posts. While somewhat grey in nature. The areas that are schools are segregated from the main facility and there is basically no chance of you accidentally ending up in a restricted school section when the school is attached. Examples being places like Mass General.
Still a good approach to have to be safe though.

In my old home town of Boxford there's only one store in the " Downtown " area. It's a Convenience store, Restaurant, Bank & Post Office. When I go in the store, which is twice a decade on average, I stay away from the Post Office corner. But who's to say I'm within the Law.

I’ve worked there for 17 years and there is no sign except for “No soliciting”. Concealed is concealed.

Is the daycare licensed by DESE? If so, I’d imagine it would be easy for a judge to conclude it’s a school. It’s most definitely a grey area, until you get caught and prosecuted.

Or me. I’ve had kids at a licensed daycare for nine years, and every day I’ve picked up and dropped off while carrying. Concealed means concealed. Besides, you’re only there for like five minutes. NO WAY would I make an extra stop home just to disarm

Put a hidden lock box in your car before you get to the Daycare lock the gun up.Unless they decide to tear threw your car
no one will know you have a gun.You can also park your car just outside their property.

Put a hidden lock box in your car before you get to the Daycare lock the gun up.Unless they decide to tear threw your car
no one will know you have a gun.You can also park your car just outside their property.
Hi everyone, my wife owns a daycare, after daycare hours can I have the firearm inside my house? Or can I have a safe inside my house or in a basement or in a shed?

Hi everyone, my wife owns a daycare, after daycare hours can I have the firearm inside my house? Or can I have a safe inside my house or in a basement or in a shed?
You may possess and store your firearms as per normal state laws outline if you have a daycare in your home. The only obligation I am aware of is that the daycare (your wife or her company) must disclose that there are firearms in the home. My experience with this is outlined as language in the child enrollment contract that gets acknowledged/signed by the enrollee. Your wife’s daycare will likely have a licenser audit her center sometime and the licenser may ask to see or confirm the firearms are kept in accordance to local law. By no means would I be opening a safe for a day care licenser but sure, you can see my shiny locked up safe from a far 😋

Back
Top Bottom