• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

price of everything, need some help

ok guys so i am trying to budget here... the whole package out the dor for my first gun and everything. not including ammo. and tedious research only takes me so far so i figured id ask the people who have been there.

Walther P99 .40 S&W QA (new)...........$784
Safety Class........................$125
Permit Application & price......$100 (thanks eddicoyle)
NES membership..................$19 (common sense)
Goal membership..................$30 (thanks derek)

( i am in lowell so i have come to terms with getting a neutered LTC-A)

please help me add to the list as you see fit.

thanks guys

Last edited:
AG Guns in Lowell sells the P99 for $660, or $693 with tax. I bought mine with AS trigger there.

Membership to club/range - lots of practice time? Gets kind of old to keep asking to go with someone to their range.....

Also ammo....

AG Guns in Lowell sells the P99 for $660, or $693 with tax. I bought mine with AS trigger there.

yea thats where im going to take my class, but i want the QA instead of the AS because of the trigger style. and i mean i could get it used, but i kinda want my first gun to be new, is that just absurd or did anyone else kinda feel this way?

yea thats where im going to take my class, but i want the QA instead of the AS because of the trigger style. and i mean i could get it used, but i kinda want my first gun to be new, is that just absurd or did anyone else kinda feel this way?

i wanted mine to be new. no specific reason...

is the walther qa available in mass? If it is, wouldnt it/ does it have a ten pound trigger since it is DAO?

yes it is available in mass, and i am unsure about the trigger pull, i just know the actions, the AS has a longer distance to pull, the QA is more of the style im use to.

thats what ive heard allot greg, people go one way or another, 9 i get cheaper ammo and larger capacity. 45 i get better stopping power, less capacity. the .40 seemed the best balance of price, capacity and stopping power. for me anyway, we are all diffrent.

thats what ive heard allot greg, people go one way or another, 9 i get cheaper ammo and larger capacity. 45 i get better stopping power, less capacity. the .40 seemed the best balance of price, capacity and stopping power. for me anyway, we are all diffrent.

I chose the .40 for that reason.

I am quite happy with my M&P, as are my friends, and my LEO neighbor. For the price, it cannot be beat. (some would say get a trigger job?)

I would suggest that you shoot all three tho, before you buy anything.. Depending on your frame (body) size and upper body strength, some find the 9mm much easier to shoot and re-acquire the target with.

Of course the distinct ka-boom sound of a .45 is treasured by many.

Best of luck, I hope you get a "Restrictions: None."

Don't forget to budget money for a holster (and then 2-3 others when you decide that the first one is "not quite right").

Also, you'll spend a bunch on cleaning kits, safe, locks, quick-access safe, targets, range bags, etc.

Don't forget to budget money for a holster (and then 2-3 others when you decide that the first one is "not quite right").

Also, you'll spend a bunch on cleaning kits, safe, locks, quick-access safe, targets, range bags, etc.

good call i was looking at this, the very fact that its portable would probably mean it will be for range use untill i can afford a proper one.
http://www.titangunvault.com/gun-safe/titan-gun-vault

and i dont think i will need holsters off the bat, but if any i was looking at the crossbreed ones.

Ammo lots of it. Extra mags, night sights, and good flashlight if your gonna use it for home defense.

You will need a way to lock up ammo as well. You will also want to get a 22 for gobs of cheap flinch free practice. All these first numbers mean little because the first gun buy is just the beginning so you should start planning for the big safe. Figuring out how to spend the money and looking at tons of toys is as much of the sport and fun for me as the time spent shooting. Welcome to club and have fun.

Last edited:
Good thread, ok so I just got my LTC and I budgeted $2500 to get set up with everything, but by the sounds of it here that's only the beginning. I think I should double up!

Membership to club/range - lots of practice time? Gets kind of old to keep asking to go with someone to their range.....

Also ammo....

Westford Sportsmen's Club (best club in the area IMHO) is $275 the first year ($120/yr, $150 initiation, $5 for indoor range PIN), and $120/year after that.

9mm ammo is $20/100rds at the Wal-Mart just over the border in Hudson, NH. 40SW is probably about $30, but I don't know because I dislike 40. Cost is very close to 45, and recoil is worse (snappier). I think 9mm is the way to go for a first gun if you want something good for self defense right away and only plan to buy one for now. If you can afford it, get a 22 and a centerfire right away. The 22 will pay for itself in ammo savings. If you plan to get a P99, the P22 is the obvious choice.

Don't forget the 9mm P99's are made in Germany while .40 are made here by S&W. If you read many threads on waltherforums.com you will find there are some QA issues with the .40 caliber. Some would claim the gun wasn't quite designed for .40SW. Check the P99 FAQ online too.

If you have to get it in .40, you might as well get S&W M&P and save a few bucks. AG Guns list all models of p99 online for $660 new and I have found that they update pricing quite regularly and honor their online prices. Where did you come up with the $784 figure? That's outrageous.

Have you fired a P99 a lot and are happy with both the feel of the gun and the recoil?

I ask because you may not want to spend so much on your first gun if you wont be happy with it long term.

I bought my first guns in NJ which is similar to MA in that you take a class then have to apply for a permit before you are "allowed the privilege" of owning a handgun.

The instructor for the class talked me out of buying a semi-auto and into buying a small revolver (Ruger SP101), the price was good but I've only fired it once since then.....

The same week I got the revolver I went out and got what I "knew" I wanted: a full size handgun in .40S&W (a glock 22)..... I used the glock a lot for the next 6 months but grew dissatisfied over time due to the recoil being kicky.

From there I went through a sub-compact glock in .45ACP (small size good for carry, lower capacity though, difficult to grip), a 1911 (good ergonomics, slow manageable recoil, low capacity), a FM Hi-power (high capacity, good ergonomics, low recoil), and a Springfield XD-45 (13+1 capacity, slow manageable recoil, great ergonomics, bulky but still possible to carry).

By the way - I still own all those handguns, never sell a gun, you will regret selling anything later. [grin]

My advice to you is that you should join GOAL and go green at NES, take a class and apply for your LTC, then go along to a couple of NES shoots and try out as many different handguns as you can. Decide on your first gun only after you have tried out a bunch of different guns in different calibers to see what works best for you.

the .40 of the p99 is still made in germany, the sw99 is the one that has the parts made in germany and slide and assembly in america, i remember reading about it. i am also not just a new out of the box gun owner, i do have experience with a few different kinds, including glocs sigs and taurus. i have a larger upper body and larger muscle mass so i can handle the recoil, mainly because i have used it before.

now the only thing im seeing as massively different is the price and for a thousand rounds the 9mm is only 220 and a thousand of .40s&w is 285.

Back
Top Bottom