• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pretty impressive when the left convinces gun owners to go after their own.

How is recovering 2m in legal fees an argument though? Any org bringing/funding that case should have had the same result.

It's not an argument. A simple question was asked, i.e., what has the NRA done for us? The simple answer is that they were involved in two landmark decisions in OUR favor. I'm confident that it played a role in additional decisions too.

History is fact, opinions are BS!

Perhaps, instead of killing the NRA, we should clean the swamp out of it, and make it stronger.
That was tried multiple times, very recently even. Wayne is still in charge and nothing has changed. So people are bailing. It happens. There are new and better organizations that actually stand for gun owners.

Taught many people about shooting long before any other organization was around.

They've never taught me anything. My only experiences with the NRA were forced memberships at some MA gun clubs.

Not exactly the best experience.

The NRA is a fantastic distraction for the left though. That is a legit use for them.

Let's adhere to your initial statement. The NRA recovered nearly $2 million in legal fees following the McDonald and Bruen decisions, both considered landmark rulings. In lawsuits, complete reimbursement of expenses is rare. The question arises: where did the organization's funds yield the most significant benefit—investing in these pivotal decisions or directing resources towards a bump stock case, an issue being pursued by other pro-gun coalitions? It's difficult to determine what any pro-gun organization spends on any given case, so the total figures are difficult to ascertain concerning the actual expense for other cases the NRA was involved in. If you don't believe these two cases were advantageous, then there's nothing more to discuss.

I want to emphasize that I am not endorsing or defending Lapierre in any way. My response is solely directed at addressing your misguided initial statement/question and Kalash's unhelpful remarks.

In McDonald, it was SAF case, NRA v Chicago was a different case that was combined by the courts. NRA rode SAF coattails on that

Last edited:
They've never taught me anything.

Ergo, the NRA is bad. Because they never taught you anything personally.

That's kinda like an Israeli who has not been attacked by Hamas saying that Hamas is good.

This whole thread is a small testament to why we are losing the fight.

In McDonald, it was SAF case, NRA v Chicago was a different case that was combined by the courts. NRA road SAF coattails on that

It's the results that count. Without the NRA's participation, we would never know if either case was to our advantage without their help. Discussion over.

That's kinda like an Israeli who has not been attacked by Hamas saying that Hamas is good.

Make a point without putting words in my mouth. Reply to what I said.

Sadly you are correct. Wilful ignorance over rabid agendas is an immovable force.

It's not an argument. A simple question was asked, i.e., what has the NRA done for us? The simple answer is that they were involved in two landmark decisions in OUR favor. I'm confident that it played a role in additional decisions too.

History is fact, opinions are BS!

You are making an argument by repeatedly bringing up their ability to recover legal fees. Apparently just to make the point that they were involved in two landmark decisions, though you could have just said that of course.

The point isn’t whether they were involved or not, it’s whether the case (and victory) would have happened if the NRA didn’t exist. It’s whether routing 2A dollars through the NRA machine is the most efficient way to get legal victories, vs donating directly to litigation orgs that don’t spam the shit out of us and that the left can’t rally against.

And what does “history is fact and opinions are bullshit” even mean? [laugh]

It's the results that count. Without the NRA's participation, we would never know if either case was to our advantage without their help. Discussion over.

Hmm lets see, who was more instrumental in the case being won. SAF, who brought the case to the Courts and had the majority of the time in front of the Court or the NRA who argues that they deserved time to argue in front of the Court. SAF said they did not bring anything substantive to the case, all the NRA wanted was their name on it so they could fund raise.

Sadly you are correct. Wilful ignorance over rabid agendas is an immovable force.

Who’s willfully ignorant and advancing a rabid agenda though, the posters defending the NRA or the ones questioning whether the NRA is our best bet?

I'm not sure that's a strong an argument as you think it is. You are absolutely correct that we will never know what would have happened without the NRA funding. But that knife cuts both ways. It is just as valid to say the cases would have been won without the NRA, because, as you said, we would never know.

However, from 2008 to 2023, the NRA collected a bit less than $2,000,000 in legal fees for those cases. They said they actually spent about 3x what they collected from NY, so assume all-in legal was $3,000,000 for the cases. Assuming LaPierre was making $100,000 / year back then, rising to his $1,000,000/year now linearly (and that's going to be a gross understatement of the real number), he's been paid more than $8,000,000 in the same period. 25% to outside groups, 75% to WLP for that pile of money doesn't come across as a great deal.

A better question is the utility of the organization now, where they're currently showing over $40,000,000 annually in legal expenses, exceeding the entire organization's payroll. Where are they dumping all that cash, because it sure isn't in 2A cases?

A better question is the utility of the organization now, where they're showing over $40,000,000 annually in legal expenses, exceeding the entire organization's payroll. Where are they dumping all that cash, because it sure isn't in 2A cases?

Really? You think they spent $40,000,000 last year on that? Seems unlikely, considering that they're mentioned nowhere in the decision, unlike the FPC who are at least listed as an amici.

Really? You think they spent $40,000,000 last year on that? Seems unlikely, considering that they're mentioned nowhere in the decision, unlike the FPC who are at least listed as an amici.

That is just one of many places the NRA spends it's money. Places where many people won't bother to look for.

That is just one of many places the NRA spends it's money. Places where many people won't bother to look for.
Many places. Many, many places! Soooooo many places that their proponents can't even list them to support their arguments! :rolleyes:

Again, $40,000,000/year for legal fees. Just legal fees. Enough to keep 80 lawyers busy full time if they're all getting $500,000 each. And naïve people keep rolling out the same few cases (none of which ever seem to list the NRA as a party or amici in the decision) as though it's an irrefutable argument to keep pouring money down the hole.

But beyond that, the NRA spends less than $7,000,000/year on the ILA. The $40,000,000 is outside of ILA activities. So what takes 6 times the legal effort beyond the ILA?

Last edited:
Many places. Many, many places! Soooooo many places that their proponents can't even list them to support their arguments! :rolleyes:

Again, $40,000,000/year for legal fees. Just legal fees. Enough to keep 80 lawyers busy full time if they're all getting $500,000 each. And naïve people keep rolling out the same few cases (none of which ever seem to list the NRA as a party or amici in the decision) as though it's an irrefutable argument to keep pouring money down the hole.

But beyond that, the NRA spends less than $7,000,000/year on the ILA. The $40,000,000 is outside of ILA activities. So what takes 6 times the legal effort beyond the ILA?

I guess that you didn't get the memo on this. Please read the second paragraph.

They are there for you to find also.

That is, if you would bother to look.
So, you're complaining that I'm not spending time looking for material to support your arguments when you're not willing to?

I guess that you didn't get the memo on this. Please read the second paragraph.

Hey, another example of the NRA ratholing money. "With great legal and financial assistance from the National Rifle Association (NRA), we [lost]" is not a winning sales pitch.

However, you're still not addressing the elephant in the room:
$ 7,000,000 for the ILA​
- against -​
$ 6,330,000 in executive salaries​
$36,000,000 in other salaries​
$33,000,000 in fundraising costs​
$40,000,000 in outside legal expenses NOT related to 2A cases.​
$95,000,000 in other expenses​

That's akin to letting the guy who mugs someone for a $100 get off scot free because he tossed a handful of change into the Salvation Army kettle as he ran past.

Look, if you want to throw money at the NRA in the hopes that the 3% they spend on 2A law does something, go for it. People waste their money on nonsense all the time.

Last edited:
Are the NRA’s overhead costs greater than the overhead costs of the other 2A orgs fighting the battles in court? How much of a dollar given to the NRA makes its way to the courtroom vs a dollar given to the FPC?

Are the NRA’s overhead costs greater than the overhead costs of the other 2A orgs fighting the battles in court? How much of a dollar given to the NRA makes its way to the courtroom vs a dollar given to the FPC?
Looking at the NRA using their 2022 form 990, it appears to be about 3% ($7 million out of $211 million).
Looking at the 990 for the Second Amendment Foundation, it appears to be about 44% ($3.0 million out of $6.8 million).

On the salary side, about 22% of NRA income goes to salaries, against 6% at the SAF.

You disregard the importance NRA had on lobbying. I don't think the NRA weakening and the republicans losing election after election since is exclusive
Please, tell us; what have the Republicans done when they controlled everything?

I will wait ...

Back
Top Bottom