• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Possibly moving from green town to red town

I have seen similar posts in regards to moving to a red town but I an wondering if anyone has had any experiences moving to towns like Waltham or Westwood from a green town?

Moving to these areas and keeping my permit unrestricted is extremely important. Perhaps the fact that I am a Mass State Police certified Instructor, NRA instructor and RSO may help?

I have seen similar posts in regards to moving to a red town but I an wondering if anyone has had any experiences moving to towns like Waltham or Westwood from a green town?

Moving to these areas and keeping my permit unrestricted is extremely important. Perhaps the fact that I am a Mass State Police certified Instructor, NRA instructor and RSO may help?
If your status as "mass police certified instructor" comes with any "professional courtesy" :rolleyes:why don't you just call the red towns licensing officer and ask them? They'll be the ones to answer that question.

Moving to these areas and keeping my permit unrestricted is extremely important.
not busting your crackers but if it matters that much why would you even consider such a move? no green town that strikes your fancy in the surrounding area. this question comes up every so often and i scratch my head over it.

not busting your crackers but if it matters that much why would you even consider such a move? no green town that strikes your fancy in the surrounding area. this question comes up every so often and i scratch my head over it.

This

Last edited:
Check the latest licensing data. I don't believe those towns are "red" anymore. The first page of that post is useless now.

Also if you're in a shit town even if you get "grandfathered" don't expect the same for your wife, girlfriend or kids when they get a license.

Moving into one of the handful of shit towns left is a horrendously bad idea.

-Mike

Red town Green town unrestricted licence what are we talking about having a Class A LTC and moving and the new city giving you a Class B LTC or a restricted Class A LTC.

Or we talking about having a Green card and the new city not renewing it or restricting it.

Red town Green town unrestricted licence what are we talking about having a Class A LTC and moving and the new city giving you a Class B LTC or a restricted Class A LTC.

Or we talking about having a Green card and the new city not renewing it or restricting it.

Just a point of clarification, there are no new LTC Bs being issued.

Was referring to having unrestricted Class A LTC and new city possibly placing restrictions once I submit application in new city for the address change.

My first thought was green card aswell... I’d have your current chief call your future chief...
Or just go talk to your new chief..

I have heard of some towns where getting a meeting with the chief is difficult..... but once you have enough interactions with the regular officers it seems so be easier.

If you are concerned, you have several other choices than Westwood in that area. Norwood, Dedham, Medfield, Walpole, Dover all issue unrestricted LTCs.

If you move to the Westwood area and want to check out the Westwood GC, let me know.

Was referring to having unrestricted Class A LTC and new city possibly placing restrictions once I submit application in new city for the address change.

If you already have a Class A LTC unrestricted and you move you really don't have to much to worry because usually a red town just gives new applicants the run around.

Since you already have a LTC there really isn't much to worry about because your LTC is really issued by the state and you have all ready been approved so the chief don't have to worry about liability that's the main reason most cities won't issue Green card because for some strange reason the chief thinks if you F up he will be reliable but he can possibly be held responsible because it is really issued by the state.

I appreciate the info. I was going to submit a new application to change the address as soon as I moved but if it can be held off until I need to renew then that is my choice. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I appreciate the info. I was going to submit a new application to change the address as soon as I moved but if it can be held off until I need to renew then that is my choice. Thanks again.

What town are you looking to move to? Very few red towns restrict on renewal. Brookline may be one of the only ones.

I believe Waltham is now green, and Watertown doesn't restrict renewals (new permits are different).

OP-

with change of address one has to notify the PD's for both cities and the FRB all three by certified mail. this has nothing to do with LTC renewal. IIRC it needs to be done within 30 days. i would suggest doing by certified mail or equivalent AND by phone so that MIRCS is updated with your new address. apparently if you only do in writing it can takes months until the poor lone soul at FRB updates MIRCS.

in terms of "early renewal", the issuing PD has to be willing to cancel your LTC to allow one to apply in a new town. if you have an unrestricted there's no reason to do this. also if you have all these accolades such as instructor certifications, i don't see how renewing an unrestricted would be all that difficult.

Absolutely agree! It's bad enough to be stuck in Crapachusetts without actually making your situation worse by moving to a RED town.

What town are you looking to move to? Very few red towns restrict on renewal. Brookline may be one of the only ones.

I believe Waltham is now green, and Watertown doesn't restrict renewals (new permits are different).

— I was considering Waltham because of a company that I will begin to work with soon. I am fairly new to the state and I didn’t know that I just need to make the change of address online, call, and to let each PD know. I thought I had to re apply for everything in the new town. I am unsure if Waltham is now green.

OP-

with change of address one has to notify the PD's for both cities and the FRB all three by certified mail. this has nothing to do with LTC renewal. IIRC it needs to be done within 30 days. i would suggest doing by certified mail or equivalent AND by phone so that MIRCS is updated with your new address. apparently if you only do in writing it can takes months until the poor lone soul at FRB updates MIRCS.

in terms of "early renewal", the issuing PD has to be willing to cancel your LTC to allow one to apply in a new town. if you have an unrestricted there's no reason to do this. also if you have all these accolades such as instructor certifications, i don't see how renewing an unrestricted would be all that difficult.

Thank you, I will do this.

— I was considering Waltham because of a company that I will begin to work with soon. I am fairly new to the state and I didn’t know that I just need to make the change of address online, call, and to let each PD know. I thought I had to re apply for everything in the new town. I am unsure if Waltham is now green.

Yep, no need to reapply. And just to clarify, you need to send your address change to FRB, issuing town police, and new town, via certified mail. Nothing can be done online and while FRB may accept the change via phone, the law says it must be done in writing.

Most people also add return receipts to be prudent.

Report a change of address for firearms ID card and license

Change of Address Info | Gun License | GOAL Massachusetts - GOAL.ORG

Last edited:
And "issuing town" means "the town that gave you the physical card you have now" -
not "the town you are moving away from".
Correct!

It's possible, depending on how you've moved, to leave a town with no notification to the current PD if they didn't issue your current LTC.

Basing a life decision on the current COP in any give town is basically a fool's errand. A new chief could come in tomorrow and change the town to red overnight. Or a high profile incident like the cop in Woburn getting shot by the guy out on parole from three life sentences can change things quickly as well.

Basing a life decision on the current COP in any give town is basically a fool's errand. A new chief could come in tomorrow and change the town to red overnight. Or a high profile incident like the cop in Woburn getting shot by the guy out on parole from three life sentences can change things quickly as well.
And I could get hit by a truck at lunch and it won't matter.

Back
Top Bottom