Poor California

I love Jerry Brown. Blames all his issues on Republican tax plan b/c the Fed Govt won't subsidize CA's confiscatory tax scheme anymore

I was stationed in California for a while and last September some squadron mates and I did a reunion in San Diego to go see our old ship, the USS Midway. I was never impressed with California and hanging around San Diego, with the masses of homeless, didn't change my mind any. Also, I looked out my hotel window and seen the wildfires and smoke in the distance. When stationed there I went through more then a few earthquakes, one of which was fairly big. Nope, no way, no how would I ever live there. I like the season change and the snow in my back yard. I'll take our blizzards any day over what nature does over there....

My sister drove to CA with a friend after college. Went through LA and said it was the grossest thing she ever saw. (and we grew up in Chelsea) Trash and homeless everywhere. I remember her mention seeing a funeral home covered in graffitti.
Look around Skid Row on Google Street View, for example Crocker and 6th - tent city right in downtown LA.

I think the takeway from this is that we are no longer living in the 1800's. Technology has exploded and we no longer require the "manhours" or "units of work" output from human beings to accomplish a task. Pulling figures out of my but, we can likely accomplish with one person in a machine or at a computer terminal what would take 20 or more 100 years ago, and probably 10 or more even just 50 years ago. We need to stop producing so many humans and expecting them to be absorbed into the economy...

I certainly agree. So many of our problems would just go away if we could stop increasing the population. At the very least, level off for now, let technology catch up and solve problems and make everyone's standard of living better.

This is priceless:
Homeless man breaks into California governor's residence, says he's an 'open-door policy kind of guy'

In an interview with KCRA-TV on Sunday, Seeley claimed he heard what sounded like a large cat roaring nearby, and ran in to an unlocked side door.

"I was looking for the security staff, but I didn't see anybody," he told the paper. "I thought the governor was in trouble, I thought he was in danger of being attacked by the wild animals, so I walked in. I yelled 'Jerry!'"...

“He’s an open-door policy kind of guy, so I figured the door would be unlocked, or else I wouldn’t have ran over there if I thought the door would be locked,” Seeley told KCRA.

This guy must have some interesting internal dialogues.

. Brings me to a huge touch screen where I can enter everything and pay on the spot, without the help of a human. The solution to the minimum wage dilemma? Me thinks so. I took a peak at all the folks in back filling the orders and started to think, "dudes, your days are numbered".

IMO the cooks and expediters will be around for a long ass time, most of the staff time at these places is wasted at the register waiting for nippleheads to make up their mind and order their hamburger with no pickles or onions, ketchup on top only or whatever... lmao.

The real people screwed by this minwage thing are the intermittent employees, the mom-hours, elderly, summerjob kids... they're going to get pushed out....

-Mike

Kind of like all the businesses moving out of Portland when they raised the minimum wage to $15. Or when states weren't getting enough in gas taxes because of all the tax dodging Prius owners that the states encouraged to buy Prii (Priuses?).

I don't see people leaving CA because of taxes to be a huge problem. Like it or not, shit is beautiful there and that's why rich people want to live there. Just like all the liberals didn't head for Canada when Trump won. It turns out America is awesome.

Don't forget when MA raised the cigarette tax and used the $ of cessation programs. . . . that worked so well that revenue went down AND they wanted (and did) move the money to the general fund to fund other operations and be sure to minimize the reduction in smokers in the Commonwealth.

My daughter is trying to persuade me to relocate to California. :(

It's a retarded state but much of it is still beautiful.

Yes it is. It's too bad. I spent a week in Santa Monica about 20 years ago. I'm sure it's not as nice today (traffic, crime, etc.,), but gosh I could live there in a heartbeat. And that wasn't even the PRETTY parts of CA. LOL

This part was good:
The Golden State's homeless population of more than 130,000 people is now about 25 percent of the nationwide total, and cleaning up after the surging group is getting costly -- topping $10 million in 2016-17, according to the state's department of transportation.

25% of the nation's homeless live in CA. With a $10M homeless poop budget it's a wonder they can still find the money to paint their roads white.

Well if you can get the best weather, why go anywhere else? Couple that with homeless-friendly government and you've hit the Daily Double.

Turns out that if you allow something, people will do it. And if you dissuade folks, they'll figure out another way to "survive." Maybe get a job or some'pin. Enablers gonna enable.

I was stationed in California for a while and last September some squadron mates and I did a reunion in San Diego to go see our old ship, the USS Midway. I was never impressed with California and hanging around San Diego, with the masses of homeless, didn't change my mind any. Also, I looked out my hotel window and seen the wildfires and smoke in the distance. When stationed there I went through more then a few earthquakes, one of which was fairly big. Nope, no way, no how would I ever live there. I like the season change and the snow in my back yard. I'll take our blizzards any day over what nature does over there....

If it wasn't for the fact that the state is contaminated with political garbage and overpopulated now, I would have moved there long time ago. After this winter they can take it and shove it up their ass, MA garbageweather, cold rain, potholes, f*** that noise. (I don't mind real snow or cold, but 90% of the winter in MA isnt real snow and cold, it's just garbage. ) Then the summer comes and if we're lucky we get about 2 weeks of really nice weather and the rest is just muggotron humidity bullshit. Besides, if you live in northern california some of the best skiing is only like 3 or so hours away anyways in Tahoe if you need to get a snow fix....

-Mike

There's plenty of other beautiful places that don't, shake, burn, and slide.

Not with the same # of non-shit days a year of weather- EG, where it's not too hot, not too cold, and lacking in rain, etc.

As far as the shaking, burning, and sliding, goes... all 3 of those things can be pretty much mitigated by where you choose to live in the
state.

-Mike

I lived there in San Diego back in the mid to late 70's. It was still sane back then....I went back two years ago to visit a couple of friends. I hadn't been there ten minutes before I realized that California has lost the war. At least in San Diego, the major language on the streets is now Spanish. I heard almost no English spoken. The beach I used to live on (Ocean Beach) is now a dump where back in the 70's it was a great and vibrant place to live. I couldn't wait to leave and come back to the relatively safe and sane state of NH. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again.

I've been seeing Cali Lic. plates everywhere lately. A sign?

I've been seeing Cali Lic. plates everywhere lately. A sign?

Perhaps they are just visiting. But then again — this editorial about an exodus is by some accounts an understatement not even toucning on the sanctuary cities, vagrant encampments, and crime.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/californians-doing-the-once-unthinkable-leaving-california/

Last bit sums it up pretty well...
People will continue to leave the state because it's over-taxed, over-regulated and over-managed by the worst political class in America. And voters will have no one to blame but themselves when it all falls apart.

:emoji_tiger:

Back
Top Bottom