• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poor California

peterk123

NES Member
Wealthy exodus to escape new tax rules worries California Democrats

Okay, so let me see if I got this one right. The libs feel that the rich don't pay their fair share and the middle class gets shafted. We change the tax laws, so the rich pay more and the middle class gets a break. But now California, the grand puba of lib states and collector of taxes, is pissed because the rich have to pay more, so California will get screwed because the rich will move. Right....got it.

Be careful what you wish for.

Totally off topic, or not so much. I stop into a McDonalds today because I have no time for normal food between my appointments. I go to get in line but this employee is standing there in front of the counter and asks if he can help me with my order. I was like, "umm...ok". Brings me to a huge touch screen where I can enter everything and pay on the spot, without the help of a human. The solution to the minimum wage dilemma? Me thinks so. I took a peak at all the folks in back filling the orders and started to think, "dudes, your days are numbered".

Be careful what you wish for.

Kind of like all the businesses moving out of Portland when they raised the minimum wage to $15. Or when states weren't getting enough in gas taxes because of all the tax dodging Prius owners that the states encouraged to buy Prii (Priuses?).

I don't see people leaving CA because of taxes to be a huge problem. Like it or not, shit is beautiful there and that's why rich people want to live there. Just like all the liberals didn't head for Canada when Trump won. It turns out America is awesome.

My daughter is trying to persuade me to relocate to California. :(

It's a retarded state but much of it is still beautiful.

Kind of like all the businesses moving out of Portland when they raised the minimum wage to $15. Or when states weren't getting enough in gas taxes because of all the tax dodging Prius owners that the states encouraged to buy Prii (Priuses?).

I don't see people leaving CA because of taxes to be a huge problem. Like it or not, shit is beautiful there and that's why rich people want to live there. Just like all the liberals didn't head for Canada when Trump won. It turns out America is awesome.

Last time I was there (admittedly to bury an uncle) I was unimpressed.

Plenty of beautiful places. Those that sufficiently piss off those paying for them, will lose those paying for them. Especially when the $$$ stakes are substantial.

Connecticut is realizing that now. And the Constipation State isn't hugely beautiful (just not especially disaster-prone).

The last thing we need is to have those left wing nuts relocating to states that are moderate or right leaning and polluting the atmosphere there with their progressive views. All they are going to do is bring the same craps that screwed up the politics in California to other states. It's their bed, they made it, let them sleep in it.

My sister drove to CA with a friend after college. Went through LA and said it was the grossest thing she ever saw. (and we grew up in Chelsea) Trash and homeless everywhere. I remember her mention seeing a funeral home covered in graffitti.

Having lived there for 4 years, if you don't think shit will even out in CA at some point you're wrong.

Depending on how the tax scheme is set up, they may not have to actually leave. Jersey went after their wealthier residents a few years back. They just take one of their properties in a more tax friendly state and start claiming it as their primary residence. Stroke of the pen, nothing else changes.

There's lots of beautiful country that isn't ruled by progressive idiots.
Connecticut is beautiful - I gave up on it.
And to be frank, I gave up on Winter too.

There's lots of beautiful country that isn't ruled by progressive idiots.
Connecticut is beautiful - I gave up on it.
And to be frank, I gave up on Winter too.

Yeah, I'm thinking South Carolina but both my kids are besotted with the Bay Area. My daughter in particular has drunk the progressive Kool-Aid. Yeesh.

Depending on how the tax scheme is set up, they may not have to actually leave. Jersey went after their wealthier residents a few years back. They just take one of their properties in a more tax friendly state and start claiming it as their primary residence. Stroke of the pen, nothing else changes.

exactly, it's much harder to fleece few but rich people, than it is to fleece a little of many poor people. If you got enough income, there are plenty of consultants and ways to hide your wealth and get tax brakes. Don't forget that most moonbat politicians and their 25k/plate donors ARE the filthy rich. Guess who will end up paying up?

Yeah, I'm thinking South Carolina but both my kids are besotted with the Bay Area. My daughter in particular has drunk the progressive Kool-Aid. Yeesh.

I googled "San Francisco Bay Area Fecal Matter"

Discovery of Needles and Human Feces Rise in SF: Report
Reports of public safety hazards, such as human feces and needles, are on the rise in San Francisco, according to the city's Office of the Controller.

On BART Trains, the Seats Are Taken (by Bacteria)
On BART Trains, the Seats Are Taken (by Bacteria)

Santa Cruz beach ranked worst in water quality in California
SANTA CRUZ — Sign postings leading to the surf of Cowell Beach, just west of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, ban all the usual transgressions: diving, fires, litter, smoking, feeding the birds and sea lions.

But one advisory, from the Santa Cruz County health department, warns against a seemingly innocuous beach activity — touching the water. Even wading in ankle-deep is frowned upon

What's not to love?

My brother lived in Connecticut for a long time. When he separated from his wife, he SEPARATED; he moved to California. He liked it out there, beautiful country, but he didn't like the government much, and he ended up first moving to the Honduras, then to London. He says if he comes back to the states that he's going to live in Texas. We speak frequently, and we've both grown more conservative over the years. Neither California nor Connecticut are good environments for us.

The cities in particular in Democratic, progressive strongholds concern me - because they show no signs of good management. I would never live in CT again, nor consider living in MA, NY, NJ, MD, RI, WA, IL or CA because of their gun laws. But their economic policies are a problem for me. I left CT for three reasons, the weather - (I'm just tired of winter after 40 years), the gun laws and the economy. The Democrats in CT have destroyed the economy and they've passed foolish gun laws.

California is the same as CT, only they share a border with Mexico and they have a much greater land mass. I think they'll be in economic disaster within several years.

So, if your kids are old enough - let them seek their own destiny. South Carolina is booming in many places. You've got access to the Atlantic, access to I95, close enough to NY and Boston if you want to get there, still on the East Coast if you have family/friends here, and they believe in the Second Amendment. I just picked up a 9mm carbine from Palmetto State Armory last week in Hardeeville, South Carolina as an impulse purchase when I was supposed to just be getting a 10K service on the truck.

This.

Shitty politics or no it is a beautiful state with any climate or natural landscape you could possibly want to see, great food, etc. The luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudicrous cost of living hasn't deterred people, so I don't see why taxes would.

California is the same as CT, only they share a border with Mexico and they have a much greater land mass. I think they'll be in economic disaster within several years.

CA has the tech industry where CT has a gaping lack of opportunity, though.

You're right about the land mass but you need to think about the other side of sharing a border with Mexico, which is low labor costs. The further south in CA you go, the more Mexican people perform literally every function of society that isn't office work. I was in Anaheim for a convention and ran out of clothes...I got everything in my suitcase washed and folded and ironed for like nothing. I had a rental car that was so dirty I needed to get it washed for my own sake...there was a car wash with like 800 people working at it and they would detail the car for less than you'd pay here for an automatic wash at a touchless.

It's shitty that people are exploited, and it's also shitty that people are here that we don't know about, but it's also just a fact of life. If you need the landscaping at your mansion maintained or a cook or a nanny, CA is not a bad place to be.

Over the past year I have read account after account of Californians flocking to Idaho.

That is a contributing factor to real estate being priced very high per sq. ft. in the Boise area now. Over valued? Well only if you get caught out in a crash and I have heard from those that fear just that.

That's third world. Where low middle class sorta poor but not too bad off folks can afford maids because the bottom is so f'in low. Bet the lazy lefties love it. And what they want to do to the rest of Murica.

That's third world. Where low middle class sorta poor but not too bad off folks can afford maids because the bottom is so f'in low. Bet the lazy lefties love it. And what they want to do to the rest of Murica.
Theres people living in the projects in Chelsea that hire people to come in and clean.

The reality that a lot of people don't understand (I had a big debate with my dad about this and even after showing him the data he still refuses to believe it) is that a fairly small percentage of people pay the majority of the taxes. Two reasons for this- they pay at a higher marginal rate but more importantly the numbers are just bigger. There's a huge portion of the population that doesn't make a whole lot and doesn't pay a whole lot or any income tax.

There is a widely held idea that the middle class pays a disproportionate amount of the income tax which isn't true. That doesn't mean you might not feel over taxed as a middle class person and you may actually be. But you aren't paying most of the taxes.

So states can continue to soak these wealthier people, who are by far the most able to avoid actually paying the taxes, and watch them do just that. They'll move, they'll figure out tax avoidance strategies, etc. And tax collections go down. There are a handful of states like this that are excessively reliant on a small population of high net worth people.

Or you can manage your fiscal affairs properly, tax people at reasonable rates and you'll do relatively well as many states do.

I lived there for 17 years and loved it, except for the whacky politics. I have never seen so many beautiful women from all over the world, white, black, brown, oh oh, I could be getting into trouble here. Suffice it to say, all kinds! Phew!

It's shitty that people are exploited, and it's also shitty that people are here that we don't know about, but it's also just a fact of life. If you need the landscaping at your mansion maintained or a cook or a nanny, CA is not a bad place to be.
I think the takeway from this is that we are no longer living in the 1800's. Technology has exploded and we no longer require the "manhours" or "units of work" output from human beings to accomplish a task. Pulling figures out of my but, we can likely accomplish with one person in a machine or at a computer terminal what would take 20 or more 100 years ago, and probably 10 or more even just 50 years ago. We need to stop producing so many humans and expecting them to be absorbed into the economy...

I think the takeway from this is that we are no longer living in the 1800's. Technology has exploded and we no longer require the "manhours" or "units of work" output from human beings to accomplish a task. Pulling figures out of my but, we can likely accomplish with one person in a machine or at a computer terminal what would take 20 or more 100 years ago, and probably 10 or more even just 50 years ago. We need to stop producing so many humans and expecting them to be absorbed into the economy...
I agree that we no longer need the manpower to do jobs that will soon be automated but people will continue to have children. The real problem is people who continue to have kids that can't afford them. I can see the first kid being an accident but after that your just stupid or trying to milk the system. Then we get to pay for our kids and theirs.

There is one ethnic group that has figured this out. Unfortunately making more people is so easy a cavewoman can do it.

Wot, no strike tag any more?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom