• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pocket Holster for S&W 442?

I'm looking for a pocket holster for a Smith & Wesson 442.

I want something I can use just when wearing shorts and a t-shirt (warm weather) or the pocket of a jacket or coat. The holster needs to have some ability to be retained by the pocket so that when I draw the holster remains behind in the pocket. I know some pocket holsters have a textured material on the outside for this purpose.

Any experiences? Any suggestions?

I don't have his pocket holster, but the other holsters I've bought from him are great. He's first class to deal with too. As atilla says, be prepared to wait because his business has picked up over the past couple of years. Prices have gone up too, but what hasn't?

A cheapy Uncle Mike's has been working just fine for me, but I've been considering a Desantis super fly or nemesis as an upgrade. The Uncle Mikes stays in my pocket really well upon draw, I can't speak for the others.

Last edited:
If you decide to go with the Mika pocket holster, it comes with rounded bottom and square bottom. I use the round in my jeans and the square bottom in my square bottomed cargo pockets.

If you need it asap get uncle mike's 3 or 4 (personaly I would choose 4). Mika's time frame is down to about 3 weeks. I just ordered one in July (my second) and it took 3 weeks. I would choose the round bottom first, it's more versital.

+1 for the Nemesis. It has the textured/rubberized material on the complete outside of the holster. It stays in place very well. It also comes with the Velcro flap to break up the outline of the pistol, which I've never used. It's also the only pocket holster I've tried for my 442.

I bought an Uncle Mike's when I bought my 642 and immediately ordered the Mika pocket holster.NO comparison between the two, but I needed it to tide me over until the Mika holster arrived. Otherwise, I would never buy a UM pocket holster. Draw the gun out of an UM and then try to re-holster and you'll understand why I say this.

#1 Desantis Superfly

#2 Mika

I like the Mika in jeans. For anything else it's the Superfly. I find the Mika to not work at all in my shorts but i only have the round cut.

Both holster's always stay behind on the draw but the Superfly doesn't move at all in my pocket. It's actually difficult to pull the Superfly out of my pocket when I want too.

+1 for the Nemesis. It has the textured/rubberized material on the complete outside of the holster. It stays in place very well. It also comes with the Velcro flap to break up the outline of the pistol, which I've never used. It's also the only pocket holster I've tried for my 442.

x2 I got mine at the Springfield gun show last fall for 20 bucks.

Just want to ask about the desantis nemesis. I have been using my IWB holster for a 229 as a pocket holster for my LCR... worked pretty well, but not great. Picked up a desantis nemesis, and the thing is huge at the bottom. It breaks up the shape of the gun, sure, but it looks like I stashed a full-sized tissue box in my pocket. Front pocket of jeans, btw. It really makes it more noticeable that I have something in my pocket. Anyone else have a similar experience?

As far as drawing, though, the holster is awesome. I can get a decent grip and the gun just slides right out sans holster. Very smooth. I am thinking of returning it and getting something with a smaller profile.

Just want to ask about the desantis nemesis. I have been using my IWB holster for a 229 as a pocket holster for my LCR... worked pretty well, but not great. Picked up a desantis nemesis, and the thing is huge at the bottom. It breaks up the shape of the gun, sure, but it looks like I stashed a full-sized tissue box in my pocket. Front pocket of jeans, btw. It really makes it more noticeable that I have something in my pocket. Anyone else have a similar experience?

As far as drawing, though, the holster is awesome. I can get a decent grip and the gun just slides right out sans holster. Very smooth. I am thinking of returning it and getting something with a smaller profile.

I use the Mika when wearing jeans, however I think the Desantis and the Mika print the same in jeans. The Desantis is much more stable than the Mika in all other shorts and pants I own. I think I only use the Mika in jeans because I spent money on it and it works in jeans so I may as well get some use out of it.

I used the Mika in cargo pants with no issues whatsoever. I bought both the rounded and squared bottom models and use what fits best for a given pair of pants.

Back
Top Bottom