Plus and Minus of buying a Semi Auto Uzi?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I’ve wanted to get an Uzi for a long time but I’ve always equated it with buying guns like a DE or a S&W 500. Great to have but not a priority.

Well, I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately and I’m on the cusp of getting one.

With that said what is the plus and minus of owning one. I know it’s only semi auto but still high on the cool factor. Though how do they really shoot? Anything I should know about?

Thoughts?

I’ve wanted to get an Uzi for a long time but I’ve always equated it with buying guns like a DE or a S&W 500. Great to have but not a priority.

Well, I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately and I’m on the cusp of getting one.

With that said what is the plus and minus of owning one. I know it’s only semi auto but still high on the cool factor. Though how do they really shoot? Anything I should know about?

Thoughts?
I've debated this for a while too....especially when .robertrtg.com had mags for like...$5 a piece for the 32s? It was something ridiculous, like 10 for $50, if I remember correctly. Which I might not.

Anyway, I'm all for silly, pointless guns. I had a semi Thompson that was clunky, heavy, and a pain in the ass. So much fun to shoot.

Do it.

Last edited:
I've shot a few, not a fan. They look cool but thats about it. Just overly clunky and not a comfortable shooter. Clearly you can look past that if you have the added benefit of a concealable machine gun, but for a semi auto pistol im out.

I've shot a few, not a fan. They look cool but thats about it. Just overly clunky and not a comfortable shooter. Clearly you can look past that if you have the added benefit of a concealable machine gun, but for a semi auto pistol im out.

This. I HAD to have one. I got one for a STEAL an then sold it for a good profit back 5-6 years ago. (Don't hurt me, ATF!)

Anyhow, the bolt weighs somewhere around 183 pounds in a gun taht weighs 210 pounds. You'd think such a wimpy catrridge like a 9 would be nothing. Well that HUGE bolt just comes slamming back at you like nobody's business. It made it VERY uncomfortable to shoot. Not hard or anything. But why have this thing slamming into your cheek every shot? It was like it multiplied the recoil of the 9 if that is even possible.

It reminded me of one of those shotgun stocks with the spring in it. Talk about awful. What were those called???? Knoxx. They were terrible. I have never found 12ga recoil to be a problem. A Knoxx stock? Terrible. Unusable. Same feeling in the Uzi.

The cool factor was awesome, though.

They're like a STEN or an M3: designed to do one thing "well enough" with minimal ergonomics and maximal cheapness.

If you get one in semi-auto, then you're taking away the one thing they're designed to do "well enough."

So now you're left with a firearm that does nothing "well enough" with minimal ergonomics and maximal cheapness.

So.

GIF by Zack Kantor

If you buy one you'll impress all your Jewish friends. (guilty)

They are amazingly simple and rugged. Magazines are cheap and easy to find.

You'll be wondering how something so clunky can be so accurate. It's fairly impressive.

You can SBR it with an off the shelf barrel swap. They can be really compact.

The metal folder stock is pretty cool, but not terribly comfortable for sending 100's of rounds down range. You can get a wooden butt stock cheaply which is more comfortable.

My thought is the only fun of an Uzi is the full auto capability. If you eliminate that, what's the point? I have a 500. I bought it just to have a 50 caliber handgun but it turned out to be the most accurate handgun I've ever fired.

They're like a STEN or an M3: designed to do one thing "well enough" with minimal ergonomics and maximal cheapness.

If you get one in semi-auto, then you're taking away the one thing they're designed to do "well enough."

So now you're left with a firearm that does nothing "well enough" with minimal ergonomics and maximal cheapness.

So.

GIF by Zack Kantor
An UZI doesn't feel like a POS like either of those two, though. Semi uzis as a PCC is still fun to shoot. Just don't buy weak ammo for it.

Thoughts?
At least MA protects you from the shame of buying "UZI PRO" -- all the negatives of an UZI, plus a new proprietary magazine so it can't take real UZI mags (unless you want to perform significant surgery on each mag)

I have an IMI built Action Arms model B, it's heavy and kind of awkward, but still fun to shoot. I also have an IWI carbine clone (built by Walther) and the pistol version in .22LR.
The size and weight of the copies are nearly identical to the original, except for the barrel extension of the clone, looking at them next to each other you can't tell them apart. The folding stock of the clone is identical to the original and I believe they're even interchangeable.
If you want a range toy that looks like an original, get one of those, it's way cheaper to shoot and a fraction of the cost.

View: https://youtu.be/aFOBz6OwUlQ

Actually for an 07 an HK or decent clone is a great stepping stone into a legal sear host.
Back when I got my MP5 clone a Fleming auto sear was just over $14k. I heard they are going for over $30k now and that is without the host gun. I think full auto uzi's can be had for around $15k. I like shooting my MP5 clone more than my uzi (sorry it's only a semi auto) and as mentioned above, the uzi is heavy, actually heavier than I thought it would be. The uzi is real easy to SBR as mentioned all you need to do is swap the barrel and that takes about 20 seconds tops. I think Green Mountain barrels has shorter semi auto barrels for reasonable $$$ too.

If you buy one you'll impress all your Jewish friends. (guilty)

They are amazingly simple and rugged. Magazines are cheap and easy to find.

You'll be wondering how something so clunky can be so accurate. It's fairly impressive.

You can SBR it with an off the shelf barrel swap. They can be really compact.

The metal folder stock is pretty cool, but not terribly comfortable for sending 100's of rounds down range. You can get a wooden butt stock cheaply which is more comfortable.

+1 the Uzi carbine is shockingly accurate and fun to shoot
Forget the 22LR because 9 is cheap enough
Get one you will not regret it

Fun gun to shoot. I like the compactness of it. Trigger is very heavy compared to many modern style guns. Can convert to .45, .41 AE, .22LR if you find the conversion kits that aren't priced in the stratosphere. There are registered NFA parts if you ever get the hankering to convert.

So.

GIF by Zack Kantor
See post #5.

Has anyone modified their top cover to hold open after the last shot? There was a thread on Uzitalk about how to do it but I can't find it and I now have a spare top cover to try it on.

Thoughts?
I had one in .45ACP, beautiful gun, too nice too shoot, it became a safe queen and I got rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom