• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Optics

OP, after reading your post again. I think the Tactical RX glasses would help your left eye issue. They sell a "almost lens" it's basically an upside down bifocal. You could put the almost lens on the left eye and have a regular bifocal on the right eye. You shoot with both eyes open because the almost lens is set to the front sight 26 inches. They are expensive. I would think the idea of the almost lens could be done by local optometrist.

Since the topic has been brought up:

For those with astigmatism, which pistol red dots have you found to have the most crisp reticle? Has red or green made a difference?

Of the ones I have, the reticle that is most clear, is the Sig Romeo Zero Elite. Awesome reticle, too bad everything else about it sucks. Green has been no better (or worse) than red for me. All dots are more blob shaped that circular to my eyes.

For those with astigmatism, which pistol red dots have you found to have the most crisp reticle? Has red or green made a difference?

Of the ones I have, the reticle that is most clear, is the Sig Romeo Zero Elite. Awesome reticle, too bad everything else about it sucks. Green has been no better (or worse) than red for me. All dots are more blob shaped that circular to my eyes.
Just noticed I may have an astigmatism in my right eye. I have both red and green dots. The red dot on my Trijicon SRO is a vertically elongated blob, but the green dot on my Holosun SCS is shaped fine. Never noticed a problem until today and hopefully maybe my eye was just being funky today.

Holosun 507k X2 works for me, and so does Aimpoint PRO. Both red.

It is important. You could over tighten and strip screws. CHPWS has a nice video showing how.
Furthermore, some of the torque specs I’ve seen are suspect. My slide uses 4-40 mounting screws. I think a lot of sights are shipping with 6-something screws. If you are going to torque a 4-40 screw to 6-something limits, you are going to have a bad day and learn quickly why not to do that.

My astigmatism presents as a cluster (for reference). Each eye has a different, but similar, effect. I finally gave in a couple months ago and bought a pair of prescription safety/sunglasses. They definitely help; but, sometimes, my eyes need a second to adjust - even through the glasses.

My (limited) experience has been that dot/reticle color is less important than contrast. Bright dots in dim areas are worst for me.

I recently used a larger dot c-more, and it was pretty good immediately. I'm not sure what diameter that was, but could find out.

Yes, you need to torque and use loctite
arrgh, loctite - not sure. it helps for sure not getting the thing flying into your forehead, but, worst case scenario you will need to drill out those shitty bolts out if you decide to take it all off.
especially the bolts on the adapter plate. those 1mm torx holes in those bolts get rounded with almsot 0 effort, as you have an extremely shitty soft chinesium there.

1. get some decent, non cheap ass wrenches
2. get some Loctite 222 (purple) which is made for smmmmmalllll fasteners. Dont use 242/243/271/272 blue/red

You can always touch a hot soldering iron to the screw head for a few seconds to start melting the Loctite.

Pro Tip: Got some Loctite that is >1-2 years old? Toss it and buy new.

Last edited:
arrgh, loctite - not sure. it helps for sure not getting the thing flying into your forehead, but, worst case scenario you will need to drill out those shitty bolts out if you decide to take it all off.
especially the bolts on the adapter plate. those 1mm torx holes in those bolts get rounded with almsot 0 effort, as you have an extremely shitty soft chinesium there.
That’s why I use plates from CHPWS. I’ve had red dot screws back out. Look at the videos in CHPWS about how to do it right and you will be fine.

is exact torque spec really that important? Always just used gudntite and blue loctite seemed fine so far.
Turn it till it breaks, or strips out the hole, then back it off a quarter turn - and use RED loctite.

JFC - it's a semi-precision item, use the right tools.

Ouch. Went way up in price. I think this is what I have. Paid around $65.

Nope. I paid $95 and that is the model I bought

ED38439A-A5FD-4A16-A3C5-F255C02F3225.png

With the exception of a barrel, the need for more than a 3/8 TQ wrench is a bit overkill. BUT I have three full size tool chests full of tools. So as for that. I appreciate the pic!
That’s one drawer of a rollaway. That one happens to have 1/2 & 3/8 drive torque wrenches in it; I put the twrench in for the pic for grins - and to imply “use the right tool for the job”.

My commonly used ratchets are in another drawer.

So my eyes suck, I am right handed with dominant left eye which has poorer vision than the right. I can barely focus with left eye on the sights. And yes due for a visit to eye doc.
I tend to close left eye and use right and that doesn't work well at all. Using right I see better but not really shoot better.

I would like to explore optics. Are there any videos/websites showing the difference one sees with reflex sights vs iron sights? I don't think I need a scope on a compact frame.
I am interested in home and personal defense distances, not long range target shooting.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Most off threads I can find are rifle/AR related and really eyesight deficiencies for closer ranges

Would I be better off with a red or green dot and dialing it in?
Most likely what ever you use will still be a little blurry?
Now for range use have you thought of corrective glasses.

OP, after reading your post again. I think the Tactical RX glasses would help your left eye issue. They sell a "almost lens" it's basically an upside down bifocal. You could put the almost lens on the left eye and have a regular bifocal on the right eye. You shoot with both eyes open because the almost lens is set to the front sight 26 inches. They are expensive. I would think the idea of the almost lens could be done by local optometrist.
Or just a simple corrective lens in a set of glasses or “shooting” glasses.

I have the Decot with just one lens corrective at +.75 and +1.00 lens
I need to step down to the +.75 over 200 yards
This year I might get a bi folcal in the right lens so I can see my notes and my sight settings.
Im at a +2.0 for basic reading and things inside 20 inches

If they are truely crap screws get upcdates, If not and they strip out they are over torqued of ill fitting tools.

Back
Top Bottom