• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Optics

OP, after reading your post again. I think the Tactical RX glasses would help your left eye issue. They sell a "almost lens" it's basically an upside down bifocal. You could put the almost lens on the left eye and have a regular bifocal on the right eye. You shoot with both eyes open because the almost lens is set to the front sight 26 inches. They are expensive. I would think the idea of the almost lens could be done by local optometrist.
Like Dr Ginsberg aka IDOKTOR here
Natick Associates eye care. Nothing better than a eye Dr who shoots and understands the needs of shooters!

arrgh, loctite - not sure. it helps for sure not getting the thing flying into your forehead, but, worst case scenario you will need to drill out those shitty bolts out if you decide to take it all off.
especially the bolts on the adapter plate. those 1mm torx holes in those bolts get rounded with almsot 0 effort, as you have an extremely shitty soft chinesium there.

Use blue loctite, NO red.

Get a decent quality set of bits and you won't mess up the bolts, screws. I have installed plenty of Sig (Romeo), Holoson and Vortex dots and none of them had cheap quality hardware. I bought one super cheap no name Chinese dot from Amazon for an old Crossman pellet rifle. That was a POS with cheap hardware but what do you expect for $35

Since the topic has been brought up:

For those with astigmatism, which pistol red dots have you found to have the most crisp reticle? Has red or green made a difference?

Of the ones I have, the reticle that is most clear, is the Sig Romeo Zero Elite. Awesome reticle, too bad everything else about it sucks. Green has been no better (or worse) than red for me. All dots are more blob shaped that circular to my eyes.

I wear progressive bi-focal glasses; pretty much all of the time that I'm not in bed, in the shower, or exercising. I have two pairs, one's clear and the other's "sunglasses".

When I had them made, I made very clear to my doctor my specific needs. I sit in front of a computer all day at work, I shoot handguns and I ride a motorcyle. I need vision with appropriate focal points and eye protection.

I have Trijicon SRO's on my IDPA/USPSA/SC G34 and G17. I have Trijicon RMRs on my G31 carry gun and my G41 pin gun, (the one on the G41 can be swapped to the G31 in emergency; I would prefer an SRO on the pin gun, but I wanted a backup RMR - and they're too expensive to just have one sitting around). I'm very happy with the dots on these guns. If I take my glasses off, I see a "bar" made up of closely spaced dots rather than a single dot, but it's still usable at close range.

I have Burris FastFire III's on a couple of my .22's and they work fine, just not as durable as the Trijicons.

I'm red/green colorblind, I've stayed away from green because I'm pretty sure it will get lost against a dirt/tree background.

Anyone who's got vision issues should see a competent eye doctor - and clearly articulate their needs. My eye doctor is a member of my local range. My PCP is too, and so's my dentist.

During yesterday's match I didn't notice any sign of astigmatism at all. My SRO dot appeared perfectly round. Saturday's observation was strange. Saturday was in dim indoor lighting, and yesterday was in mostly sunny conditions.

During yesterday's match I didn't notice any sign of astigmatism at all. My SRO dot appeared perfectly round. Saturday's observation was strange. Saturday was in dim indoor lighting, and yesterday was in mostly sunny conditions.
How does the level of alcohol intake on the two prior nights compare? Shooting hungover sucks - but “train like you’re gonna fight”. 😎

I have major astigmatism in both eyes. The only time I don't is when shooting outside when it is sunny and snow is on the ground.
My eye doc tried to explain: When the conditions are that bright, my irises closes to a pinhole, the light is only passing through the center of my eyeball, thus no opportunity for the astigmatic distortions more to the edges to come into play.

I do get some improvement with some eyeglasses, especially a pair of progressives. Some red dots are better or worse, seems pretty random, Trijicon SRO is best so far. Green colored ones are no better. Larger dots (2.5-6 MOA) tend to be better for me, because the original dot is easier to locate perhaps.

Astigmatic eyes are quite common. You just have to learn to use the original dot (to the upper left with my particular eye) and ignore the "comet", "cloud" and/or "starbursts".

The more your pupils open up the worse the astigmatism is. I shoot with transition glasses on days were it is no super bright
If you use a red dot on a rifle and look through a small peep sight, it helps make the dot round and crisp

Back
Top Bottom