• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol for Alaska trip...

Thinking about taking the kids to Alaska in the spring for a vacation.

These are my possible bear defense picks within my collection. I’m leaning towards the Glock 20 loaded with Buffalo Bore Hard Casted... In my shoulder rig with 17 round mags... that’s 52 shots... And the most pleasant to shoot of the bunch.
I can't speak to which pistol would be best; my inclination would be to go with the one you feel most confident with in a crisis. But here are two other points to consider:
  • If you are thinking of going on a cruise, I don't know of any cruise lines which allow passengers to bring firearms onboard. The ferry does allow firearms under similar conditions as airlines.
  • The area around Juneau, including the Tongass National Forest, is a temperate rain forest. Be prepared for wet conditions for all your gear.

Thinking about taking the kids to Alaska in the spring for a vacation.

These are my possible bear defense picks within my collection. I’m leaning towards the Glock 20 loaded with Buffalo Bore Hard Casted... In my shoulder rig with 17 round mags... that’s 52 shots... And the most pleasant to shoot of the bunch.

Glock 20 10mm
S&W 629 3” Backpacker .44 Mag
S&W 629 7.5” Light Hunter .44 Mag
Ruger 7.5” Super Redhawk .454 Casull
Desert Eagle .50 AE (To Heavy)

Thoughts?
All kidding aside, stick to rule number 1 when it comes to a self defense gun (at least it's my rule number 1). Take the gun you shoot the most consistently and accurately. A big ass gun does you no good if you flinch every time you pull the trigger or can't get that second shot off quickly and accurately. If I were to bet, the 10mm is the best one in your hands. Plus the the glock is a semi, so you do not have to deal with a stiff double action trigger on the second shot, as with the 44s. I'm not sure I want to have to remember to cock the trigger with my finger to get an accurate shot off when a bear is charging me.

With all that said, just get bear spray. Much easier to use and it is proven to be quite effective. Plus you do not have to deal with transport issues at the airport.

Purchase the Bear spray in Alaska. They do not allow it on the airplane, even in checked luggage. Ask me how I know this.
My niece went to Yellowstone and she said that you could rent bear spray for hiking, she was on a week long hike and I told her to buy it out there but she learned that it was easier to rent so she didn't have to worry about getting it back home if it went unused.

My niece went to Yellowstone and she said that you could rent bear spray for hiking, she was on a week long hike and I told her to buy it out there but she learned that it was easier to rent so she didn't have to worry about getting it back home if it went unused.
Great idea. You can also rent guns in Alaska. For the record, my Bear spray is now called Antifa spray. 😁

I understand the fishngame folks in AK have learned over the years that the only useful firearm for bears with usability in mind is a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs. Nobody hits anything with a pistol. If you are doing the family thing with kids and a shotgun is off the table bring the lightest handgun you have. You don't need 17 rounds. Bear encounters are win/lose in less than 2. Bring bear spray, everyone in the family can carry a can, if you go where it counts, otherwise bring whatever handgun you want carrying a handgun for bears is more mental boot strap than self defense. Think about reality with two kids and a wife someone you love is likely going to be downrange in a bear encounter. They never come at you like target stands do.

When you’re back country camping 20 miles from pavement and the last thing you see before climbing into your tent is a 900 pound brown bear working the slope above you a credit card doesn’t help you sleep at night. From the window of a cruise ship or RV it’s a different story.
That was exactly my point! [smile]

There’s always this [devil2]
Don’t forget the Buffalo Bore!

Only a fool would choose a 10mm, or any other handgun, over a shotgun with slugs, against a Alaskan bear.
Hiking with a long gun really sucks.

Revolvers are nice and if a round doesn't go off you just pull the trigger again, but you are limited on rounds, reloads are slower and carrying a bunch of speed loaders or moonclips is not comfortable.
I doubt OP would have time to reload if a bear was charging him. Probably wouldn't even have time for a third shot, never mind a sixth.

Yeah, probably should have said rifles and shotguns weren't a option in your post. So if you run into a pissed off bear, the second reasonable option, would be to bend over, put your head between your leggs and kiss your butt goodbye, because a .44 or anything like is only going to anger a 1200 pound bear. I've hit deer with 2, .44, heart shots and had them run for a while.. That's enough time for your bear to do a job on you for sure. The buck in question only weighed 155 lbs.
OP is not hunting the bears so the goal isn't to kill one, it's to make it stop and run away. I think that's the idea behind 12ga slugs too - put a hurtin' on the Griz so he leaves you alone but it probably won't kill him like a rifle would.

Maybe the best solution is to go hiking in Iceland. Probably cheaper to get there from NE.

Or if you want a nice survival experience, go to Greenland. They have some nice remote trails that less than 100 people hike every year.

Take the kids to AK when they can carry their own guns. You will have 3 people with guns.

Maybe the best solution, is to go hiking in Iceland. Probably cheaper to get there from NE.

Take the kids to AK when they can carry their own guns. You will have 3 people with guns.
Around March-April it was usually like <$100 flight to get to Iceland. Not sure what it'll be this year though

Around March-April it was usually like <$100 flight to get to Iceland. Not sure what it'll be this year though
I remember at the peak, 2 years or so ago, I think non stop flights were $600. I doubt it will be above that this year.

Only if I can go with the hot chick jumping rope lol. I hope it isn’t a guy hiding behind the avatar.

it’s a joke

All you need is a bolas.
Sounds too much like a zoobow.

I have seen 1 black bear while walking my dog in Bartlett NH, it freaked me out a little bit because it was foraging around some old apple trees and it just stared blankly as I walked by. My dog barely gave it a glance.
Dog's confident he could outrun you.

Was told the Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag
Was the one to bring
Combined with a marlin 45-70
Don’t want any malfunctions in the time of need ......

Forget 52 shots. You won't have that much time and forget what's pleasant to shoot. This isn't plinking. Carry bear spray and the most powerful gun you can hit with. If you're a lousy shot, do what Jack said.

I agree that any handgun is a poor choice. Unless you're very good and also very cool under pressure, hitting a vital spot on a fast moving bear will be beyond your ability. A long gun would be better but the question was about handguns.

A handgun would be my absolute last choice. When a 300 pound beast is sprinting at you at over 30 mph you'd be lucky to unholster and hit a garage door. I'd go with a small 12 gauge pump gun and a good sling.
What makes you think they are 300lbs? His head is 300lbs..😲

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 6
What makes you think they are 300lbs? His head is 300lbs..😲
Yeah, you do not fight a grizzly. You can only hope to scare it off, if it feels more scared than hungry.
Sting it in the ass with a pistol and it may get very angry.

300# are our local black bear- that is what 10mm is good for

Back
Top Bottom