• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol for Alaska trip...

It doesn't sound like he is hunting. Defensive wise, a pistol on you is much more useful than a long gun leaning against a tree.
Best defense against grizzly is a safe retreat.
I think, honestly, a chance to kill it with any pistol, well, may be a 10%?
And , I did not mean rifle. A shotgun, 2 barrels, slugs, and 2 more guys with same guns on your sides. That can give a considerable warranty.

In Montana hiking we saw a lot of Glock 20s. Capacity with a hard hitting cast bullet makes sense. Relatively light weight.
I like the 69 S&W .44 mag in an El Paso tanker style. Like and easy access with a back on.

Attachments

• AF9C2DE8-5439-46BF-B8AF-7B2A76DF3C7E.jpeg
    AF9C2DE8-5439-46BF-B8AF-7B2A76DF3C7E.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 11
Physics says a pistol with rubber bullets, so you have an elastic collision with greater KE to stun the bear and create more displacement of the object versus plugging it with lead creating a perfectly inelastic collision with lower KE, which will only make it more pissed off.

Allegedly, many Alaskans carry the G20 in bear country on a chest holster so they can draw in front of them and discharge rounds quickly enough at a short distance to put the bear down before it mauls them like Leo from The Revenant.

Personally, I would study tracks in the environment and make sure not to cross paths with a bear in the wild in the first place. When its man vs. nature...unpredictable things can happen. That being said ‘when in Rome...’ I’d carry the G20.

If a Ruger is on your list...

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480
1609555158995.png
1609555278879.png
Less "snappy" than the .454 which makes follow up easier. Much more power than a .44. Not as brutal to the hands and in a smaller frame than the .500 which makes it far easier to carry..

The .475 Linebaugh is more powerful using the same bullet, but you are talking custom guns. The .480 is a production gun and ammo is not hard to find normally. Should be able to find a used version to save some $$$. They were dirt cheap when the S&W .500 first came out as people "upgraded". Do yourself a favor and try the Hogue grips. I find they fit and stick better in my hand than the Ruger grip and it's cheap $$. I believe Ruger even sells the gun with them now.

They were made in both 5 shot and 6 shot. Some of the 6 shot versions had issues and Ruger offered replacements with 5-shot under warranty. Frankly, my 6-shot has never had any issues. You can't get a 6-shot new.
1609555625865.png

This isn't something you are going to be putting hundreds of rounds through. But when you need it, having that extra 20% more firepower could be a difference.

Model 5302. Catalog# KSRH-2480 with an MSRP of $1189.

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan

Best defense against grizzly is a safe retreat.
I think, honestly, a chance to kill it with any pistol, well, may be a 10%?
And , I did not mean rifle. A shotgun, 2 barrels, slugs, and 2 more guys with same guns on your sides. That can give a considerable warranty.

1. Not hunting. Meaning likely not out in the woods 24/7. Although in your defense, OP really hasn't given us an itinerary.
2. Long gun often equals shotgun as well. Regardless rifle or shotgun not on you is no good. Weapon on you is better.
3. Going on vacation with his kids. Read as likely no hangers on by his sides to finger f*** long guns or shotguns since you want to specify.
4. Read below:

as for the most part you need to defend yourself with your head, eyes, and ears.

Spent a fair amount of time in the woods in Alaska, never thought to carry a handgun. When your out having fun make a lot of noise and use your head. When your hunting I carried a 300 win mag and would think bigger is better

If a Ruger is on your list...

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480
View attachment 430298
View attachment 430300
Less "snappy" than the .454 which makes follow up easier. Much more power than a .44. Not as brutal to the hands and in a smaller frame than the .500 which makes it far easier to carry..

The .475 Linebaugh is more powerful using the same bullet, but you are talking custom guns. The .480 is a production gun and ammo is not hard to find normally. Should be able to find a used version to save some $$$. They were dirt cheap when the S&W .500 first came out as people "upgraded". Do yourself a favor and try the Hogue grips. I find they fit and stick better in my hand than the Ruger grip and it's cheap $$. I believe Ruger even sells the gun with them now.

They were made in both 5 shot and 6 shot. Some of the 6 shot versions had issues and Ruger offered replacements with 5-shot under warranty. Frankly, my 6-shot has never had any issues. You can't get a 6-shot new.
View attachment 430303

This isn't something you are going to be putting hundreds of rounds through. But when you need it, having that extra 20% more firepower could be a difference.

Model 5302. Catalog# KSRH-2480 with an MSRP of $1189.

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan

Not looking to buy anything... I listed what I thought were the five most bear worthy handguns in my collection in my original post.

Not looking to buy anything... I listed what I thought were the five most bear worthy handguns in my collection in my original post.
Then I'd do the short .44. You want it to be comfortable to carry as the liklihood of needing it is not that great. You want something that you can keep with you. The .44 can give you as much as double the energy of the 10mm depending on the ammo choice. Even at the closest, you are looking at at least 50% more energy. I'd rather do more damage with good hits than have to hit something moving multiple times. Don't get me wrong, the 10mm is likely "enough" for the job. But since when do we want the fight to be close?

There is also something to be said about the durability and simplicity of a wheelgun vs the semi.

Your other options are just much larger. When you sit, that extra length will be noticed.

Itinerary and awareness is more important than what you carry, as others have stated.

Never crossed paths with a bear when I visited Alaska, but came within closer-than-comfort distance with one while hiking in Glacier N.P., Montana.

I’d vote for your S&W 629 3” Backpacker .44 Mag. Very low probability you’ll need it

Stupid stuff.
Did you ever hunt a bear? I was a junior in a backup role only once.
You need a shotgun, reliable one, and even that - a bear is a serious thing. Pistol can possibly kill a grizzly, but, man, you better be away from his turf and back off.
Bear will not attack, usually. Unless it is set n eating you or your stuff.

10mm is good against black bears. Grizzly or brown bears- those machines are a different class.
Only a fool would choose a 10mm, or any other handgun, over a shotgun with slugs, against a Alaskan bear.

Only a fool would choose a 10mm, or any other handgun, over a shotgun with slugs, against a Alaskan bear.
It’s not over a shotgun... I’m not looking for bears or anything thing else... it’s a handgun concealed or nothing. I was asking what of the five options listed made the most sense... Rifles, Shotguns, Bows, Blowguns and Artillery are not options... geez...

Out of your choices I'd take the 3" .44 mag or the Glock 20. Personally, I would take my Glock 29 with my kkm barrel with some underwood or buff bore hardcast loads, that's my usual carry for hiking and fishing as it can still be concealed when I get back to the trail head or stop for lunch. Make sure if you bring the G20 with heavy hard cast loads to test them first, the stock barrel has a hard time with stabilizing some of them. I def recommend a kkm barrel. For people/animal duty in 10mm I carry either underwood or Winchester Silvertips as they are one of the few factory loads still loaded to full 10mm specs. I also carry some bear spray.

Then I'd do the short .44. You want it to be comfortable to carry as the liklihood of needing it is not that great. You want something that you can keep with you. The .44 can give you as much as double the energy of the 10mm depending on the ammo choice. Even at the closest, you are looking at at least 50% more energy. I'd rather do more damage with good hits than have to hit something moving multiple times. Don't get me wrong, the 10mm is likely "enough" for the job. But since when do we want the fight to be close?

There is also something to be said about the durability and simplicity of a wheelgun vs the semi.

Your other options are just much larger. When you sit, that extra length will be noticed.

Tangent incoming.... wheel guns are a more complex firearm than glocks. A glock has like 38 parts you can put together in like 20 minutes no timing needed.

Wheel guns are a little more intricate.

Also I've never bound a glock up so bad i couldn't get it apart...I know of multiple people who's sent their wheel guns to smith's.

Not that it matters if you don't drop a charging bear with the first round chances are it's eating the shit out of you.

Just a pet peeve of mine

It’s not over a shotgun... I’m not looking for bears or anything thing else... it’s a handgun concealed or nothing. I was asking what of the five options listed made the most sense... Rifles, Shotguns, Bows, Blowguns and Artillery are not options... geez...
Out of all the guns you listed...

Take whatever you can accurately shoot the fastest and reload the fastest that also makes carrying extra ammo easier.

In this case, the gun with a mag makes sense given your criteria.

Revolvers are nice and if a round doesn't go off you just pull the trigger again, but you are limited on rounds, reloads are slower and carrying a bunch of speed loaders or moonclips is not comfortable.

[/end thread]

Yeah, probably should have said rifles and shotguns weren't a option in your post. So if you run into a pissed off bear, the second reasonable option, would be to bend over, put your head between your leggs and kiss your butt goodbye, because a .44 or anything like is only going to anger a 1200 pound bear. I've hit deer with 2, .44, heart shots and had them run for a while.. That's enough time for your bear to do a job on you for sure. The buck in question only weighed 155 lbs.

I've been through Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Skagway and the great Glacier Bay. All I needed was a Credit Card...

Beautiful though. Eagles as plentiful as pigeons, Sockeye Salmon as plentiful as Carp...

Enjoy!
When you’re back country camping 20 miles from pavement and the last thing you see before climbing into your tent is a 900 pound brown bear working the slope above you a credit card doesn’t help you sleep at night. From the window of a cruise ship or RV it’s a different story.

When you’re back country camping 20 miles from pavement and the last thing you see before climbing into your tent is a 900 pound brown bear working the slope above you a credit card doesn’t help you sleep at night. From the window of a cruise ship or RV it’s a different story.
Does the window help with giving you a steady aim?😆

All you need is a bolas. Much easier to carry. When a bear attacks, tell the kids to run and employ the bolas.
You’ve sacrificed for them for 13 years. It’s time for them to return the favor if needed. It’s not like you’re losing everything, you’ll still have one child left.

It must be some instinctual fear of bears way back in our DNA that is the reason for these questions. The chances are incredibly infinitesimal that you will be attacked by a bear. You have more chances of getting hit by a tour bus while you're there than getting mauled.

It must be some instinctual fear of bears way back in our DNA that is the reason for these questions. The chances are incredibly infinitesimal that you will be attacked by a bear. You have more chances of getting hit by a tour bus while you're there than getting mauled.
That could be it. I have seen 1 black bear while walking my dog in Bartlett NH, it freaked me out a little bit because it was foraging around some old apple trees and it just stared blankly as I walked by. My dog barely gave it a glance.

You’ve sacrificed for them for 13 years. It’s time for them to return the favor if needed. It’s not like you’re losing everything, you’ll still have one child left.

“An heir and a spare.”

So what do you advise for a tour bus? .50 BMG?

Back
Top Bottom