• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol for Alaska trip...

Thinking about taking the kids to Alaska in the spring for a vacation.

Thoughts?

So I gave my pistol rec above.

What are you doing on vacation? Hitting the restaurants, driving up to Denali, going fishing?

because you should be more worried about 2 legged critters than 4 legged critters in most AK situations. I would always laugh at the tourists open carrying big ass revolvers on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. BTW--you can likely rent bikes in Anc. Good easy ride and you're just about guaranteed to have to wait for some dumbass moose to get out of the trail.

edit: also-driving or flying? Driving through Canada with handguns is problematic. It's a nice drive though.
IMG_0164.JPG

Don’t forget the G40, crazy long slide Glock 10mm to squeeze out every bit of muzzle velocity. Also MOS version.
Well just talking about the bear caliber pistols that I already own... but if I didn’t live in MA I would buy a G40 MOS in a minute... all my Glocks came with me from PA... and I can’t get my mind around paying hundreds over MSRP for a used one here...

Well just talking about the bear caliber pistols that I already own... but if I didn’t live in MA I would buy a G40 MOS in a minute... all my Glocks came with me from PA... and I can’t get my mind around paying hundreds over MSRP for a used one here...
Can you buy a barrel and slide for your existing Glock?

1609548892802.png

...I mean, he did survive...

I'd go with a .44 mag revolver. I think I'd go Ruger, because it's cheaper and I doubt I'd ever really use it for anything else.

When I lived there I started out with a 5.5" Redhawk in .44Mag because Alaska and big bore revolvers.

Spending a lot of time on the AK Outdoors forum, I saw a bunch of posts on G20s so I decided to buy one from the local cop shop in town.

Weighing the two pistols fully loaded, the Redhawk was at least twice the weight of the G20. I sold the Redhawk which I kind of regret as it was so much fun banging steel at distance with. I am happy with Glock 20 as for the most part you need to defend yourself with your head, eyes, and ears.

Last edited:
My friend in AK goes out by himself, always has his dog.
when we were kids he hitchhiked from CT to AK and somehow survived. Homesteader and put himself through university of Fairbanks.
Some people have no fear and he is one.

Speaking of magazines...

Buy up every pre-ban glock mags you can find... then sell them here and pay for the trip.

Stupid stuff.
Did you ever hunt a bear? I was a junior in a backup role only once.
You need a shotgun, reliable one, and even that - a bear is a serious thing. Pistol can possibly kill a grizzly, but, man, you better be away from his turf and back off.
Bear will not attack, usually. Unless it is set n eating you or your stuff.

10mm is good against black bears. Grizzly or brown bears- those machines are a different class.

this would be the time, if i were going, to get one of those marlin guide guns in 45/70. i can't justify it now but i can dream.
I have a Marlin 94 in .44 Mag... I guess I could also pack the Tavor 7... but I’m pretty out of shape and think I would be more comfortable concealed carry. I mean I’m not hunting bears... and not planning on getting near one if I can avoid it...

Hike naked...

As far as I can tell. through extensive internet searches, no Bear has ever attacked and killed a naked man outside during an Alaskan Winter...

Stupid stuff.
Did you ever hunt a bear? I was a junior in a backup role only once.
You need a shotgun, reliable one, and even that - a bear is a serious thing. Pistol can possibly kill a grizzly, but, man, you better be away from his turf and back off.
Bear will not attack, usually. Unless it is set n eating you or your stuff.

10mm is good against black bears. Grizzly or brown bears- those machines are a different class.

It doesn't sound like he is hunting. Defensive wise, a pistol on you is much more useful than a long gun leaning against a tree.

Also, worry more about moose than a bear.

100% agree. I f***ing hate close calls with moose. Unpredictable bastards.
I was riding a bike one time, came around a corner and there I was between a cow and calf. Cow stayed there, but the calf started running next to me. I've never peddled so hard in my life.:oops:

This looks like the trail next to the Glenn

South Anchorage

I would ride both all the time.

Back
Top Bottom