• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol for Alaska trip...

DeadEyeDan

NES Member
Thinking about taking the kids to Alaska in the spring for a vacation.

These are my possible bear defense picks within my collection. I’m leaning towards the Glock 20 loaded with Buffalo Bore Hard Casted... In my shoulder rig with 17 round mags... that’s 52 shots... And the most pleasant to shoot of the bunch.

Glock 20 10mm
S&W 629 3” Backpacker .44 Mag
S&W 629 7.5” Light Hunter .44 Mag
Ruger 7.5” Super Redhawk .454 Casull
Desert Eagle .50 AE (To Heavy)

Thoughts?

I could joke.
I have a long time friend that lives in AK married inuit. Talk on some hunting forums.
I think brown/ kodiak/grizzlies leave you alone if they hear you coming for the most part.

but moose are mofo’s!

Thinking about taking the kids to Alaska in the spring for a vacation.

These are my possible bear defense picks within my collection. I’m leaning towards the Glock 20 loaded with Buffalo Bore Hard Casted... In my shoulder rig with 17 round mags... that’s 52 shots... And the most pleasant to shoot of the bunch.

Glock 20 10mm
S&W 629 3” Backpacker .44 Mag
S&W 629 7.5” Light Hunter .44 Mag
Ruger 7.5” Super Redhawk .454 Casull
Desert Eagle .50 AE (To Heavy)

Thoughts?
You will have time to get maybe 2 shots.

Where are you going? Coastal bears are much larger than interior bears. I went backpacking last year in the brooks range and carried a Glock 10mm in a chest pack with Buffalo bore rounds. As well as bear spray. Those rounds definitely add to the weight.

Based on my time on MT 2 years ago, large canisters of bear spray seemed to be the weapon of choice with or without a handgun back up.

If the wind is right, wafting some spray on a bear generally sends them packing, based on what others explained. I have no bear experience other than watching a young griz excavate a marmot den at 60-70 yards and he had no interest in us. Obviously, in the spring time your biggest worry is a sow with cubs.

Having watched a bunch of Youtube videos, Meateater, etc - the thought of stopping a charging brown bear with a pistol with my kids behind me is not a place I'd like to be.

You really want to get some kinda spray in your eyes or lungs when..... ya I guess some choose to be bear shit.

You really want to get some kinda spray in your eyes or lungs when..... ya I guess some choose to be bear shit.
Right! Blind yourself with spray so you don't have to see the brown bear rip you apart after you've put 1 maybe 2 poorly placed large caliber bullets into as it charges you at 30 mph and you're crapping your pants.................

I've been through Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Skagway and the great Glacier Bay. All I needed was a Credit Card...

Beautiful though. Eagles as plentiful as pigeons, Sockeye Salmon as plentiful as Carp...

Enjoy!

I was very happy with my G20 for my trip to MT. I shoot it just as well as my G19

Attachments

• BBB08F5B-B179-4498-B09A-AEB417F42D56.jpeg
    BBB08F5B-B179-4498-B09A-AEB417F42D56.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 26
Just take the Glock 20. 15+1 hardcast in an easily controlled pistol is nice.

Fully loaded, it is lighter than many .44 Mag revolvers.

Back
Top Bottom