• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pics of legal AR muzzle brakes? AR15sales.com break?

Looking at a Stag kit from AR15sales. He explained the brake to me but I would rather see it. Anyone know of a pic or have one themselves they can throw a pic up of?

Thanks.

The comp is driving me crazy, dont want it to look like junk (and some do) and now not sure if I should go with a crowned barrel.

Last edited:
The problem with making an upper MA compliant is that the comp must be permanently attached to the barrel.

Go to JDL Sales in the dealer area on NES look at the uppers I have for sale the M4 with the full rail and the light barrel upper have Stag muzzle brakes.

I just bought my new stag AR. it has a micheleck compensator (spellin?) and it is AWESOME... one word of note though.. no one will want to be close to you when you shoot it... all my friends love the shock wave it sends out. I tried to stand behind a guy while he was shooting it and it still rumbles your guts.. but it also makes the rifle very steady to shoot... takes away a fair amount of recoil.

Check new aquisitions for september under my screename on page 3 to see it

Go to JDL Sales in the dealer area on NES look at the uppers I have for sale the M4 with the full rail and the light barrel upper have Stag muzzle brakes.

Are those the Vortex brakes?

EDIT: The spiral Vortex are flash supressors not muzzle brakes. My bad

Last edited:
one word of note though.. no one will want to be close to you when you shoot it... all my friends love the shock wave it sends out. I tried to stand behind a guy while he was shooting it and it still rumbles your guts.. but it also makes the rifle very steady to shoot... takes away a fair amount of recoil.

You should try standing next to me when I light off my Browning medallion in .300 mag with the BOSS muzzle break on it. Even when standing behind the concussion blows your clothes and hair back. [rofl]

I'm not certain what you're asking here.

The physical difference between a brake and suppressor is that a brake will have holes drilled lengthwise along it, and an opening roughly the same diameter as the bullet.

A suppressor will usually have horizontal cuts/slots and a much wider opening at the muzzle...

sb.jpg

(both of these are Phantom muzzle devices available from Yankee Hill Machine

Esthetics... they can look like an A2 type bird cage device, an abortion like the mini Y-comp or something hard 'n' nasty like a shark brake...

shark.jpg

[laugh2]

I have one of those "hard 'n' nasty" Tromix shark brakes on my AR15, it's very effective at reducing recoil and looks mean as hell to boot.

I'll be bringing her to the car shoot, everyone is welcome to run some mag's though her![smile]

I got my Stag Model 3H (flat top ) upper through Pete at AR15sales. Here is the standard, Mass-compliant muzzle brake that comes with it:

StagMuzzleBrake002.jpg

StagMuzzleBrake001.jpg

I can't attest to how it shoots with this (I'm waiting for my NES lower, damn it!), but I think it looks pretty good.

JDL installed my Bushmaster Izzy brake on my Colt A1 upper. It looks pretty good and several here have vouched for them. My other two uppers are just crowned muzzles.

In Mass. if the barrel is threaded you have to permently attach the muzzle brake. The correct way of doing this is to weld the brake on or blind pin and then weld over the pin.ou can not use a flash hider in Mass. on a pos-ban gun. I do this for the very small charge of $35.00. I can also remove your old brake that has been pinned and welded for the labor charge it takes. This is not always an easy task.
I can also cut off the threaded section and target crown the muzzle. I do this for the small fee of $35.00. If you have a non threaded barrel and wan't to thread it for a brake this also can be done, however this would be priced by the job, type of barrel, how much to dissasseble the upper, turning down the barrel end and threading.

I got my Stag Model 3H (flat top ) upper through Pete at AR15sales. Here is the standard, Mass-compliant muzzle brake that comes with it:

I can't attest to how it shoots with this (I'm waiting for my NES lower, damn it!), but I think it looks pretty good.

What? Heresy -- that looks like an AR upper.

What happened to your AK allegiance??? [wink]

Thanks for the info guys. Now it is just the question of whether to get a crowned barrel or a comp on it. The idea is for my son to learn shooting a "real" rifle on this, so debating a brake or a crowned barrel.

Got me thinking. Would a slip-on muzzle brake be legal on a non-threaded barrel ?

Hmmm...Good question. I think so, but the experts can advise. I will say that I had a slip on muzzle brake on my old Colt National Match. I launched it downrange one day and after that, tapped a few shallow holes for the the hex heads to grab on to. No more problems....

Yes... but as per MassMarks experience, you really need to be certain that it's properly secured.

Yeah, it was pretty neat. Made a hell of a whirling sound as it headed downrange - made it out to 75-yards! I was surprised that it was unscathed. I used my girlfriends nail polish to mark where to drill the holes and I'll be damned - it worked.

Back
Top Bottom