Muzzle-loading cannon (from extruded brass stock)

Ever since moving to New Hampshire, I've wanted to make my own cannon. Goal is to eventually move up to "golf ball" bore.

Apropos of a recent thread, we're building these 0.25" bore "signal cannons" in brass (extruded 360 brass, 1.125" before turning)
S5Yshyd.jpeg

First prototype on a 3d-printed base, final product will be on a wooden sled, but Saturday was sunny, so I did some testing:

Also experimenting with sand-casting the brass trunnion (recycling the scraps from cutting/turning the barrel):
1711908987866.png

Been thinking of the same project for the lathe I picked up ib 2022.

Also looking into sand casting
Right now the cost for yet another off shoot of a hobby is slowing me down

Been thinking of the same project for the lathe I picked up ib 2022.
Also looking into sand casting
Right now the cost for yet another off shoot of a hobby is slowing me down
I've been experimenting with sand casting at Manchester Makerspace, pouring liquid metal is not a hobby I want to take up at home.
Looks risky. Love it.
We chose 1⅛" extruded 360 brass rod for the barrel, sand-casting only non-pressure-containing parts.

I've been experimenting with sand casting at Manchester Makerspace, pouring liquid metal is not a hobby I want to take up at home.

We chose 1⅛" extruded 360 brass rod for the barrel, sand-casting only non-pressure-containing parts.
Hell no , If I cant do it at home its no fun.
Manchester Makerspace: do they sell supplies.

Been looking for a decent price on the “green sand” or Petrobond
I want to try and make gears
I will start with aluminum
Probably Zmak -3 its zinc/amuminum alloy. Melts under 1000’F and should do fine for the gears I need.
Brass/bronze later

Last edited:

I just looked up that 360 Brass, 3 foot rod 180 bucks. It’s cheaper to buy a canon

Back
Top Bottom