Picket line

National Grid lock out 1235 workers just wondering how many people on this site would cross a picket line during a work stoppage

Depends on the situation. I know guys have have had to do subcontractor work with VZ (for things union guys don't touch) and even though they do different shit alongside the union types they would never cross. It's not worth the bullshit and the potential damage to your work vehicle, etc, getting accosted by union thugs/zombies, etc. Not to mention when things go back to normal those union thugs are not going to suddenly forget that you crossed their picket line. Good luck getting them to do stuff for you to help you with your work. Friend of mine had to make a difficult choice to stay
away but he explained that he avoided a lot of BS by doing so.

If you don't have a choice (like let's say your a manager at one of these places and you have to go to work) probably different ballgame. If you don't show up someone else will fire you, I'm guessing, so you're backed into a corner on that one.

-Mike

As much as I think some of their demands are unreasonable, and people I know on the Electric side of NG had to make concessions that the Gas guys refuse to negotiate, I as a union member would respect their picket line, just as I would hope they would not cross ours.

But remember, THE GAS WORKERS ARE NOT ON STRIKE, they have been locked out by NG, and it is not only the gas workers that are getting screwed by that action, but many construction projects including residential ones are at a stand still due to no gas hookups being made.

As much as I think some of their demands are unreasonable, and people I know on the Electric side of NG had to make concessions that the Gas guys refuse to negotiate, I as a union member would respect their picket line, just as I would hope they would not cross ours.

But remember, THE GAS WORKERS ARE NOT ON STRIKE, they have been locked out by NG, and it is not only the gas workers that are getting screwed by that action, but many construction projects including residential ones are at a stand still due to no gas hookups being made.
Of course their demands are unreasonable. Just like the business' wages and benefits are unreasonable. Then the 2 parties hopefully meet in the middle.

yep. my dad was union in the days when one union would go on strike and all the "brother unions" would strike as well. the crap we put up with, 8 kids to raise, and union bosses driving around in their cadillacs when the men were on strike and standing in line for government cheese and butter.... yeah, I'd cross that line. MA sucks in that if you are in certain trades/jobs you MUST be in the union. so whoever suggested getting a different job, well yeah, just move out of state first (which I fully support from TX). I believe in right to work. I believe people have a right to negotiate their wages. I just don't "believe in" unions.

depends.
In another life I worked in construction for a construction mgmt. company. The closer we got to Boston the more problems we had with unions. One job, I believe in Medford we got picketed by some local shop (don't even remember the trade) and their schpeel was to "picket" across the entrance but to let traffic through. It was more of a "be seen and show our signs that merit shop companies are costing our families blah blah". Every vehicle entering the premise would stop, have to wait for the union dummies with signs to walk one complete circle, then the cop would stop them for the vehicle to pass. It was such a funny show I couldn't help but laugh.

I don't understand what the NatGrid strikers want from me. It's a beef between them and their employer. I generally don't buy the bullshit they print on their signs, and it's amusing to see workers standing out on every single overpass every single day all holding the same signs, but none of it bothers me until they start taking away one of my commuting lanes, as they have in Braintree. Lay them all off for all I care if it means giving me that lane back.

In these times, we need SOLIDARITY more than anything.....Whether its standing up to big GOVT. or big BUSINESS, whether you are union, or nonunion, we need to stand TOGETHER..........

So next time vz goes on strike you want the poor bastard customer to prostrate themselves in front of the picketers at a vzw store and crush their phone in a sign of solidarity? Consumers get harassed by these thugs too. I have a friend who owns a pizza shop that delivered food to management at one of the Verizon COs. Union zombies called his female delivery driver all kinds of names, "c*** scab whore" etc... fun people.

-Mike

I don't understand what the NatGrid strikers want from me. It's a beef between them and their employer. I generally don't buy the bullshit they print on their signs, and it's amusing to see workers standing out on every single overpass every single day all holding the same signs, but none of it bothers me until they start taking away one of my commuting lanes, as they have in Braintree. Lay them all off for all I care if it means giving me that lane back.

Those guys are locked out, not striking... but they shouldn't be allowed to block traffic, frankly....

My decision to cross or not would be based on whether or not I believed the Union had a legitimate gripe.

I don't know enough to have a real opinion on National Grid situation. But I can also tell you that if crossing the picket line meant I dould get something installed in my home, I'd cross it in a minute.

The fact that my town won't approve even a residential install application with National Grid is no better than a bunch of BLM people blocking I93. Don't make your fight my problem. If I was waiting on natural gas before I could move into a renovated home, I'd cross the picket line in a second if it would get me my C of O.

My decision to cross or not would be based on whether or not I believed the Union had a legitimate gripe.

I don't know enough to have a real opinion on National Grid situation. But I can also tell you that if crossing the picket line meant I dould get something installed in my home, I'd cross it in a minute.

The fact that my town won't approve even a residential install application with National Grid is no better than a bunch of BLM people blocking I93. Don't make your fight my problem. If I was waiting on natural gas before I could move into a renovated home, I'd cross the picket line in a second if it would get me my C of O.
There is a state moratorium on new installs after the Woburn pressure spike.

Those guys are locked out, not striking... but they shouldn't be allowed to block traffic, frankly....

It's not them, it's the Braintree cops. It's a 4 lane road (2 in each direction), but the little protest and its semi-permanent tents evidently don't have enough space in the NatGrid driveway so the 3 or 4 Braintree cops always hanging around park a cruiser in the right lane to give them more space, nevermind that they don't come close to needing it.

Commuting through Braintree drives me nuts. Always has. I'm sure my commuting-ass isn't high on their list of likes either.

Lost some respect for them when they did it across from my place of business a couple years back. They brought in the inflatable rat and camped out causing a real pita traffic jam. Felt for them a little at first, until they where out there grilling, and throwing a football around like it was a friken cookout. The numbers where way down on the rainy days though.

My father was a union man his entire life.
I grew up seeing all the problems the union
caused him. Many times he was out of work
for months with no paycheck. Not the unions
fault but he could not work nonunion because
of his membership. That said——-

I would NEVER cross a union or any picket line.

I was a Teamster and have a withdrawal in good standing and retired Transport Workers Union member, and would NEVER cross a picket line. I did not walk the picket line as it was my choice not to. But I am glad I am retired now as I did not agree with the union position on layoff vs. give backs. Layoffs took money out of the union pockets, give backs took money out of MY pockets.

In these times, we need SOLIDARITY more than anything.....Whether its standing up to big GOVT. or big BUSINESS, whether you are union, or nonunion, we need to stand TOGETHER..........
This would be great if the union ever stood together for the non union.
Your not union TFB, this is usually the theme

I was a Teamster and have a withdrawal in good standing and retired Transport Workers Union member, and would NEVER cross a picket line. I did not walk the picket line as it was my choice not to. But I am glad I am retired now as I did not agree with the union position on layoff vs. give backs. Layoffs took money out of the union pockets, give backs took money out of MY pockets.
And union presidents or leaders still got thier money, no

Back
Top Bottom