Shooting from hammer-forged, chrome-lined DRY barrel

CAESAR

NES Member
I lubed the brand new rifle mechanism but forgot about the barrel and shot about 20 rounds from dry barrel... not only that it was solid copper rounds. Do you think I damaged the barrel?
Any jokes please keep for your grandma ;-)

Last edited:
If concerned about corrosive primers pouring boiled water down the barrel would take care of those nasty salts as well as washing away any previously used oils / cleaner. Then run a bore snake through with CLP. Rifle is clean.

If you oiled the barrel how long do you think that oil lasted as a barrel lubricant after the first bullet went through the barrel? You did not hurt the barrel. Just go shoot and stop worrying and over thinking things.
You guys dont hook an old salene bag full of oil through the forward assist under pressure so oil shoots into the barrel between shots

Use a crazy straw to divert a little of the gas

The only time you put any type of oil in a barrel is for storage to prevent rust.
Push a dry patch through the bore before you shoot it again.

Do you usually lube the bore before shooting?
Sounds like a euphemism, LOL.

OP- Barrels only get a light coat oil for corrosion protection during storage. If oil is present, the bore should be wiped with a clean dry patch before shooting.

The only people I've ever met that were that anal about the barrel were guys who had special guns built from the ground up for accuracy that are way more than I'm willing to spend for a rifle.

I knew a guy who'd only push cleaning rags and brushes from the breech, he never cleaned from the crown back.

If concerned about corrosive primers pouring boiled water down the barrel would take care of those nasty salts as well as washing away any previously used oils / cleaner. Then run a bore snake through with CLP. Rifle is clean.
I once found in a basement clean-out, a rifle cartridge that had a piece of copper tubing brazed into the primer end, and a funnel brazed into the other end of the copper tube, with a couple 45-degree bends, so that you could put it in a bolt-action chamber, and flush the barrel with ease.

Back
Top Bottom