Picked up a new Ruger 10/22

V8 SHO

Banned
So I don't have access to a digital camera or a scanner so I couldn't share the pictures in the gun gallery.

Anyhow, I picked up a Ruger 10/22 just before the new year. It's matched up with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope! The scope looks somewhat large for the Ruger but I love it.

Since I had the day off, and it was a nice warm day, I took it down to the range and sighted the rifle in.

Good times. I wish more sheeple understood the satisfaction of going plinking on a nice mild day.

[cheers]

[Observation: I think Remington Thunderbolts have an inconsistent amount of powder in each cartridge]

[Question: I'm experienced in the cleaning of gun barrels but not actions. It seems my Ruger 10/22 is already accumulating some gunk inside the action. What do you guys recommend and how is it applied?]

Last edited:
[Question: I'm experienced in the cleaning of gun barrels but not actions. It seems my Ruger 10/22 is already accumulating some gunk inside the action. What do you guys recommend and how is it applied?]

Get a can of "Gun Scrubber." That stuff is great. Spray in, work the action some, spray with caned air, repeat, Wipe what you can down with a good cotton rag, then follow with a few drops of oil.

Get a can of "Gun Scrubber." That stuff is great. Spray in, work the action some, spray with caned air, repeat, Wipe what you can down with a good cotton rag, then follow with a few drops of oil.
+1!!! What he said - GunScrubber is GREAT stuff to blast the crud out of the action. You'll want to pull the bolt, though, so that you can lube flush all the crud out and lube the action afterward.

For some great mods you can do to your 10/22, do a google search on "Liberty Training Rifle" - this is a standard set of mods that the folks in the Appleseed Project do to a 10/22 to make it more friendly to use and make it more accurate, but it's not a very expensive set of modifications at all - sling, sling studs & swivels, extended magazine release, replacement hammer & sear (or you can find instructions on rimfirecentral.com to do the mods yourself if you're good with metal working tools), replacement bolt release, etc.

...some great mods you can do to your 10/22, do a google search on "Liberty Training Rifle" - this is a standard set of mods that the folks in the Appleseed Project do to a 10/22 to make it more friendly to use and make it more accurate, but it's not a very expensive set of modifications at all - sling, sling studs & swivels, extended magazine release, replacement hammer & sear (or you can find instructions on rimfirecentral.com to do the mods yourself if you're good with metal working tools), replacement bolt release, etc.

I am assuming the hammer and sear are the "more accurate" part of this, right? I don't see much need for the rest. Maybe the sling if I am going a ways with it.

Also, which 10/22 to buy? The original carbine? Isn't there a newer "rifle" one out? Also, in .22lr, .22wmr, .17hmr, or .17hm2?

Thanks, and sorry to jump into your thread.

+1, but pull the action out of the stock first!! You may ruin the wood finish.

I am assuming the hammer and sear are the "more accurate" part of this, right? I don't see much need for the rest. Maybe the sling if I am going a ways with it.

Also, which 10/22 to buy? The original carbine? Isn't there a newer "rifle" one out? Also, in .22lr, .22wmr, .17hmr, or .17hm2?

Thanks, and sorry to jump into your thread.
No problem - the hammer & sear will smooth out the trigger pull and bring it down considerably. It's pretty rough as it comes from the factory. The sling improves your accuracy considerably as it allows you to hold the rifle much more steadily. Don't underestimate the value of a good sling - I certainly did until I went to my first Appleseed Shoot. There's a reason why I was using the sling on my M1 at the Milsurp shoot... it wasn't to just look cool. [wink]

There are several versions out now, and they're in at least the first three calibers you mentioned. I'm not familiar with .17hm2, though. One big reason to like the lowly .22LR is cost - 500 rounds for $10!! Man, you can't beat that with a stick! That's a LOT of practice for a little money. Great deal!

+1, but pull the action out of the stock first!! You may ruin the wood finish.
Absolutely - one screw (two if you have a barrel band) and the action is out.

The hammer replacement is to lighten the trigger pull out of "Lawyer Weight Trigger". I don't recommend replacing the sear, as it lightens it too much, IMNSHO.

The sights are an obvious modification, the work and adjust so much better (and your scores will improve).

The sling steadies the rifle. If you think you don't need one, come attend an Appleseed, and I'll prove it to you (actually, you'll prove it to yourself).

The extended mag release and reworked bolt release help the ergonomics, and the mag release will speed up your mag changes. They both will help keep you focused on your shooting rather than fiddling around getting the bolt open or closed (or getting the mag out).

Back
Top Bottom