Pheasant Hunting

QUOTE=pupchow;3581559]I've not seen stocking done after turkey day

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think you are right but I plan to go out in the morning just to get out.
Went out in Westboro this afternoon for the last 1.5 hours of day light and managed to dig 2 roosters out of the thick stuff.
It was a nice afternoon with the sun setting and only saw one other hunter; just the way I like it.
Scout will be sad the season is over. He was really getting the hang of it....
photo.jpg [

I think you are right but I plan to go out in the morning just to get out.
Went out in Westboro this afternoon for the last 1.5 hours of day light and managed to dig 2 roosters out of the thick stuff.
It was a nice afternoon with the sun setting and only saw one other hunter; just the way I like it.
Scout will be sad the season is over. He was really getting the hang of it....

Bagged our last bird, the last day of last season, during the last 15 minutes of shooting time. The bird was in some tall, thick grass in a swampy area, where many avoided getting their feet wet.

Walking the dogs in the Westborough WMA the other morning.

Heard a rooster squawking in the brush lot below us.........
It's been a long cold winter with lots of yotes and fox back there.

That bird must be the lone survivor....

Was just at Ladywoods yesterday shooting Chukars... as I drove out of the driveway, a cock pheasant was strutting around... and THAT'S why they make you unload the gun before leaving....

Wow, I wonder what it's been eating?

I know.
He was there again this morning crowing his head off as the sun came up.
Dog started in after him but I called him off as I was afraid rooster couldn't fly and dog would catch and kill bird....
Tough bird. Things have thawed out back there quite a bit so maybe he'll have an easier time getting by if the predators don't get him.

molly birds.jpg

Today a few friends and I took advantage of a DFW program where you have access to a WMA for the day to hunt. You have to provide your own pheasant. We hunted the Winnimusset in New Braintree and I took my 8 month old pup on her first hunt. I am a proud papa, lots to work on though, but hey, she is 8 months.

He's still in there...! Enjoying the sun and big melt off this am.
He moved across the road into a lower thicker brush lot but we hear him during our morning walk like clock work.
He crows and my dog locks up and looks at me....I let him go look the other morning but ended up calling him back.
The main part of that WMA is about a 350-400 acre square and I'd bet good money that this bird is the only living pheasant in there.
I have seen hold overs before but this was a tough winter......The Lone Survivor.....

It goes to show that even the dumb pen birds still have some instinct. I used to be a member at a pheasant club in Wisconsin. There was one year that a number of birds survived the winter and the club owner had chicks on his property mid-summer!

While this may have been a tough winter for New England, this would be nothing for real wild pheasants. Spend a couple days in the Dakotas in Jan/Fed. THAT's a tough winter.

Season opens Oct 18.
Anyone know what days they stock the Martin Burns WMA? Does this typically change year to year? Website says they stock it 3 days a week.
I may try and take Mondays off....

Season opens Oct 18.
Anyone know what days they stock the Martin Burns WMA? Does this typically change year to year? Website says they stock it 3 days a week.
I may try and take Mondays off....

last year it was Mon, wed, fri. I'll find out tonight, the youth pheasant hunt is this Saturday at Burns

It goes to show that even the dumb pen birds still have some instinct. I used to be a member at a pheasant club in Wisconsin. There was one year that a number of birds survived the winter and the club owner had chicks on his property mid-summer!

While this may have been a tough winter for New England, this would be nothing for real wild pheasants. Spend a couple days in the Dakotas in Jan/Fed. THAT's a tough winter.

If New England had the fields and crops that the midwest does there would be a native pheasant population. The weather is the least of their concern.

I am determined to bag my first pheasant this year. I have no hunting dogs.

Have faith I bagged two and flushed 3 more (and missed em) last season with no dog........just crisscross the field ......having 3 or 4 guys helps but one of the hens I flushed was just me alone. Problem is the hens wait till you almost step on em to fly......I had a hen beat her wins in my face when she went up........scared the piss out of me and I whiffed.......

Anyway......you can be successful in stocked fields with no dog.

If it weren't for my dogs, I wouldn't bother with pheasants. It's put & take, but the dogs go bonkers over them. If you don't have dogs, maybe see if you can hookup with someone who does? Watching the dogs work is why I go.

I'm gonna hunt pheasant with my dog. She's not a bird dog, never trained her to be and won't retrieve lol. She listens though so I plan to let her run close by me and hope one of us trips on a bird.

Have faith I bagged two and flushed 3 more (and missed em) last season with no dog........just crisscross the field ......having 3 or 4 guys helps but one of the hens I flushed was just me alone. Problem is the hens wait till you almost step on em to fly......I had a hen beat her wins in my face when she went up........scared the piss out of me and I whiffed.......

Anyway......you can be successful in stocked fields with no dog.

Also kick brush piles. They hide like rabbits sometimes.

I've been reading up on strategies for pheasant hunting with no dogs. There are different ways to do it, with or without other hunters.

There was one old guy who wrote an article in... Field and Stream maybe, not sure. But he said when his last pointer passed away he never wanted to get another dog just out of respect or sentimental reasons. Whatever his thinking was, he said that after a while of hunting solo he learned to flush pheasants by basically acting like a looney in the field. He'd walk up to a large shrub area or a fence/ tree line, then sprint up to it shouting as loud as he could and it would freak the birds enough to make them flush. Or he'd carry a handful of rocks in his vest and chuck them into a mass of shrubs while barking like a dog, and the birds would flush. [laugh]

I wish I could find the article now. It was pretty funny. It ended with something like "I miss my ol' buddy, but I continue on and bag birds in his honor."

I've been reading up on strategies for pheasant hunting with no dogs. There are different ways to do it, with or without other hunters.

There was one old guy who wrote an article in... Field and Stream maybe, not sure. But he said when his last pointer passed away he never wanted to get another dog just out of respect or sentimental reasons. Whatever his thinking was, he said that after a while of hunting solo he learned to flush pheasants by basically acting like a looney in the field. He'd walk up to a large shrub area or a fence/ tree line, then sprint up to it shouting as loud as he could and it would freak the birds enough to make them flush. Or he'd carry a handful of rocks in his vest and chuck them into a mass of shrubs while barking like a dog, and the birds would flush. [laugh]

I wish I could find the article now. It was pretty funny. It ended with something like "I miss my ol' buddy, but I continue on and bag birds in his honor."

I've done the rock thing also. Even carrying a stick around and whacking piles and shrubs. Anything to spook em

I hunt pheasant without a dog and I still manage to bag 4-6 a season. This year I was thinking of strapping a dog bell to my vest just to make extra noise and imitate the sound of an approaching dog. Honest opinion, would you guys think I was crazy if you saw me doing this?

I hunt pheasant without a dog and I still manage to bag 4-6 a season. This year I was thinking of strapping a dog bell to my vest just to make extra noise and imitate the sound of an approaching dog. Honest opinion, would you guys think I was crazy if you saw me doing this?

If it was during shotgun deer season absolutely not crazy

Oh please I'm gonna be absolutely silly looking out in the fields come October. [laugh]

Barking, shouting, running around and crashing through shrubs. It's gonna be a blast.

I'm a new member on this forum. I'm originally from Southeastern Massachusetts, but have been living in Chicago for the past three years. I've recently moved back to Massachusetts and am living in Boston. I'm very interested in hunting pheasant here, but don't know the best places to go. I've read up on the WMAs and the frequency with which they are stocked, but I wanted to know if anyone on this forum had specific experience with some areas being better than others. Thanks for your help! Looking forward to getting out there this year.

I don't use a dog - and have had pretty good luck. The thing to remember is that birds don't have subscriptions to Field and Stream. All the pictures you ever see of bird hunting is in big open fields - ignore the pictures. Get a pair of waterproof boots and hunt the swampiest area you find.

Also, I've found going slow lets you hear the birds running or moving. By going slow and listening hard, be prepared for the ground to explode at your feet when the bird kicks up.

Also, hunting piney woods in the rain has been productive for me.

It takes a while to find "birdy" areas by experience, and it's tough to describe in words. It's "something different in the sameness". You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Good luck.

I'm a new member on this forum. I'm originally from Southeastern Massachusetts, but have been living in Chicago for the past three years. I've recently moved back to Massachusetts and am living in Boston. I'm very interested in hunting pheasant here, but don't know the best places to go. I've read up on the WMAs and the frequency with which they are stocked, but I wanted to know if anyone on this forum had specific experience with some areas being better than others. Thanks for your help! Looking forward to getting out there this year.

I can recommend Westborough on week days. Avoid on Saturdays....

Back
Top Bottom