• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant Hunting

I went pheasant hunting this morning. It was a nice day. My setter had a beautiful point on a woodcock of course I missed because I had the safety on. I moved about 3 woodcock total.

I've got a Mossberg with the rear safety, which I'm not too fond of for bird hunting. My Ithaca has the safety located behind the trigger, which I've come to like. It's now one quick motion for me to release the safety and get a shot off at a bird. It didn't start out that way though.

Anyone willing to let Squatch413 and I tag along on a hunt with dog(s)? We do not have dogs and tried dogless last weekend (western MA public stocked rt202 area). No luck. Let me konw, thanks.

It was my first time out and we just started to walk so I was caught off guard. I am thinking about heading up North to hunt the king of birds...

Can we hunt on Verteran's day? I'm only asking because this is MA.........

I was thinking of going to Martin Burns on Monday, possibly for some pheasant. My hopes aren't high, but it'll be nice to walk around and see if I can kick anything up. I was thinking of bring my dog with me who has never hunted a day in her life. She's pointed rabbits and squirrels on our walks though, lol. She likes to chase little critters so maybe she'll flush some birds for me. I just think it'll be fun to see how she does, if anything it'll be a nice walk for her.

I saw someone in this trhead say Martin Burns is packed on Saturdays but not so much duriong the week. Think Monday will be just as packed? Do they stock on Mondays? Anywhere around the northshore that isn't as packed that I may have a little luck at?

Thanks guys.

Can we hunt on Verteran's day? I'm only asking because this is MA.........

I was thinking of going to Martin Burns on Monday, possibly for some pheasant. My hopes aren't high, but it'll be nice to walk around and see if I can kick anything up. I was thinking of bring my dog with me who has never hunted a day in her life. She's pointed rabbits and squirrels on our walks though, lol. She likes to chase little critters so maybe she'll flush some birds for me. I just think it'll be fun to see how she does, if anything it'll be a nice walk for her.

I saw someone in this trhead say Martin Burns is packed on Saturdays but not so much duriong the week. Think Monday will be just as packed? Do they stock on Mondays? Anywhere around the northshore that isn't as packed that I may have a little luck at?

Thanks guys.

Monday will more than likely be just like Saturday. May be a bit much for your dog if it's his first time out...

Monday will more than likely be just like Saturday. May be a bit much for your dog if it's his first time out...

yeah you're probably right.
Thoughts on me showing up 4-5 hours after sun rise? Probably won't be much left but there will be less people......

I was toying with going out for a couple hours Monday before I have to work, but do they stock on Sundays? I doubt it, so I'm probably really looking for birds that survived from Friday night stocking at best...

Got out yesterday for a bit after ducking out of work early. Boom. Boom. Two birds down. I had been using 1oz loads of #4 (Remington Express Long Range) in my 20 ga, and was missing birds a bit too often. Switched over to #5 shot, and now the birds are going down hard. Even in a stiff wind. Both of my dogs approve of the new load.

Jcv, have you fired a shotgun over your dog yet? If not, you might want a more controlled environment for that experience.

Otherwise, I have been told that historically they stock heavily on Veteran's Day, not sure if it still applies or how true it was in the first place but thought I would pass it along. Good luck and be safe.

I've got a Mossberg with the rear safety, which I'm not too fond of for bird hunting. My Ithaca has the safety located behind the trigger, which I've come to like. It's now one quick motion for me to release the safety and get a shot off at a bird. It didn't start out that way though.

That's interesting because I have a Mossberg pump with a rear safety and a CZ O/U with the same, obviously, and it just seems so natural to me to thumb the safety off as I raise the gun to my cheek. I guess I am used to it though. I always carry with the safety on so make sure to practice mounting the gun and clicking off the safety so it's second nature now.

Missed one bird today because the safety on my OU was a little sticky.

Didn't miss this one though!

By the way, make sure everyone knows that poodles aren't upland hunting dogs. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384028390.498194.jpg

That's interesting because I have a Mossberg pump with a rear safety and a CZ O/U with the same, obviously, and it just seems so natural to me to thumb the safety off as I raise the gun to my cheek. I guess I am used to it though. I always carry with the safety on so make sure to practice mounting the gun and clicking off the safety so it's second nature now.

Conversely, I use an 870, and my fingernail on my triggerfinger depresses the safety...click-bang action.

Always comes down to how you practice. [smile]

re: releasing your own birds in MA

I found this in the regs, which I was not aware of:

SPECIAL UPLAND BIRD HUNTING OPTION
Licensed hunters may submit an application to DFW District offices for a free 1 day permit that allows the private purchase, liberation, and hunting of ring-necked pheasants and/or bobwhite quail on selected WMAs from January 1–March 31. If purchasing birds from out of state, a separate importation permit is required. Permits are issued on a first-come first-served basis; only one party may schedule a hunt on each specific WMA per day. There is no minimum or maximum stocking limit, or daily/season bag limit. For a complete list of procedures and locations
available for this permit, contact any DFW District office.

If you are going dogless I always found it easier to heaf straight to the back of the area. This way birds get pushed to you. On thd way feel free to hit the brushy areas on the outer edges. I would usually get 2-3 birds using these methods.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

martin burns was not stocked heavily today. I was there from sunrise for about three hours and all I saw was a coyote the size of a golden retriever(first time for that). other ppl were getting some but they had dogs. Last year they overly stocked it and I bagged out literally in 5 minutes.

Went to William Forward WMA on Saturday, no luck. I talked to a few people while I was there and no one had heard any shots all morning.
Martin Burns yesterday, no luck. Saw a few people with birds, not as much shooting going on as I thought there would have been. I've only been there for using their tiny range, the place is HUUUUUUUUUGE. I had no idea they had so much land. I saw a sign that read "exit using rear gate only". That was a mistake, took me about 25 minutes to get out of there.

Though I got no birds this weekend, my dog had a blast and I had fun being out there with her. She was not alarmed with the shots we did hear, and was a trooper when we got into the thick stuff. She's had zero scent/tracking training. I really just brought her so that if she saw a bird on the ground that I didn't, she'd put it up in the air for me. Seeing her out there though really made me want to actually train her to flush birds for me, it would be awesome.

Anyone ever hunt over a pitbull before? [smile] I'm sure I got some funny looks.

... Seeing her out there though really made me want to actually train her to flush birds for me, it would be awesome.

Anyone ever hunt over a pitbull before? [smile] I'm sure I got some funny looks.

If you have access to some pheasant wings, they can be incorporated into some training/familiarization.

My attitude is that any dog that won't run off or act the fool towards other dogs is better than no dog at all. Especially when trying to find a downed bird if you are in a brushy area. I know someone who occasionally hunts with his boxer, she is not much of a bird dog but behaves well and loves getting out for a hike. Pupchow's advice to train her with some wings is spot on.

I spent some time at Martin Burns yesterday with another NES member, was our first time there, I'll let him chime in if he wants... was a great day to stomp around in the woods, probably walked close to 10-12 miles through some thick stuff. Sore today for it. The goal was really to just familiarize and learn the land a bit, but surprisingly I ended up with a bird, probably more out of dumb luck than anything else. Hoping to go back one more time before the season closes, I've got the itch now. It did seem a bit crowded early in the day, guessing that's probably the norm. Are Saturdays there generally slammed?

My attitude is that any dog that won't run off or act the fool towards other dogs is better than no dog at all. Especially when trying to find a downed bird if you are in a brushy area. I know someone who occasionally hunts with his boxer, she is not much of a bird dog but behaves well and loves getting out for a hike. Pupchow's advice to train her with some wings is spot on.

I agree with thorin, if your dog is well behaved, it can't hurt.

I'd love to bring my pit mix, but I don't trust her enough off leash. She's friendly (too friendly), but essentially loses the ability to listen when she gets her mind set on something.

Took my son to Catskill Pheasantry last weekend. We were training my buddy's dog so I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce my kid to the sport.

[video=youtube_share;Hy5_E3R0BRM]http://youtu.be/Hy5_E3R0BRM[/video]

any recs to some decent dvd's/websites for information and techniques?

I'm no expert, and many who are seem to not like the idea of using a pheasant wing, but I used one for a short while with two dogs. One as a pup, the other a couple of years old. Pheasants are smelly, and dragging the wing with a string leaves a hefty scent trail. I'd drag the wing through an open area, and tuck it into some brush. The dog would get a small reward (praise, mostly) after finding it. Then I'd fasten the wing to a bumper, have the dog sit steady, and throw the bumper into the brush, and let the dog find it. It didn't take but a few repetitions for the dog to "get it."

Smart dogs grow bored more quickly, so sometimes they seem like they're not getting what's going on, when really they're just ready for something else. The pointer got it within a few drills, and was content to not play the game much more. The cocker took a bit more time. Once they get time in the field, they make the connection fairly quickly after you nail a bird or two. Spending time in the field, letting them explore, really seems to be key in them "wanting" to find & track birds without the need for any instruction.

Back
Top Bottom