Pheasant Hunting

I was wondering if anybody has a good spot that is stocked. I have been at Medfield with no results.
Was going to try Hubbardston.
Any suggestions?

Go to a private club. It's a pain in the ass and somewhat dangerous at times to hunt publicly stocked areas.

Go to a private club. It's a pain in the ass and somewhat dangerous at times to hunt publicly stocked areas.

While this is certainly true, it can get real expensive to hunt privately. Some places are charging $25/bird; plus they want you to use thier dogs, so there is a "guide fee" plus a tip is expected. All of sudden 4 birds is $150+ and you could miss them all. And alot of clubs don't have any better land to hunt on than a WMA. To the OP keep trying new spots and you will find them. Do you have a dog or just on your own?

If you are stuck hunting the WMA's in that shithole, During the week is the only time to go. (Not including holidays) Also a dog is almost a must, as the birds will run the ground and not flush. You may never even see them to get a shot.

You really do need to kick them in the ass to get them to fly.

While this is certainly true, it can get real expensive to hunt privately. Some places are charging $25/bird; plus they want you to use thier dogs, so there is a "guide fee" plus a tip is expected. All of sudden 4 birds is $150+ and you could miss them all. And alot of clubs don't have any better land to hunt on than a WMA. To the OP keep trying new spots and you will find them. Do you have a dog or just on your own?

Membership at Fitchburg is $65 a year. http://www.fitchburgsportsmensclub.org/default.asp

They stock birds every weekend.

I've been thinking about buying birds and releasing on my club grounds. Anyone know a place in or around Metrowest Boston area where I can buy pheasants or chukars?

Derek, I thought you were talking about places like an Addeville or Lady of the Woods sort of clubs. My bad

I was talking about both. [wink] There are options, some you have to pay a good amount of money for. I love pheasant, it's my favorite bird to hunt. It's frustrating living in New England when you like to hunt pheasant.

I was wondering if anybody has a good spot that is stocked. I have been at Medfield with no results.
Was going to try Hubbardston.
Any suggestions?

The girls & I got ourselves a couple of birds today, on a WMA. There was one other hunter out there in the AM. It was good to be out, now that the winds have diminished.

I would not do it without a dog. To me, the whole point of going after stocked pheasants is for the dogs. After filling our limit for the day, as we were headed out, one of the dogs (the pointer) was nowhere to be found, and I couldn't hear her bell. I called, and called. Blew the whistle. Nothing. Then a rooster flushes, not 30 yards away. The dog was locked up for about 5 minutes on that bird. Later, as we're almost to the exit, the same thing happens. She was locked up and would not break. I swear I could've tipped the dog over. I kicked the brush, but no bird. The dog remained locked up. I call my flusher over (cocker), and off goes a hen. It was a good morning.

See the list on the right of this page for stocked areas, and the frequency of stocking:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...unting/pheasant-hunting-in-massachusetts.html

Last edited:
Just be aware that you need permits to do that.

Of course. Ugh. Can't let just anyone release birds they buy privately onto private land to shoot. Next thing you know, they'll want to be able to buy birds other people have already killed and plucked. And then they'll come for the cows too.

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

Yes, the King... Don't forget to get his permission.... [thinking]

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be a downer,but I used to keep a few birds for dog training. Neighbor called DFW on me. The law was explained ad nauseum. I had to pay king Deval for the right to release 2 birds in a corn field.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be a downer,but I used to keep a few birds for dog training. Neighbor called DFW on me. The law was explained ad nauseum. I had to pay king Deval for the right to release 2 birds in a corn field.

No worries! I appreciate the info... I quickly skimmed MGL and found the laws for a commercial shooting preserve, but didn't find anything about not releasing birds for yourself. That said, I forget that here in MA, the laws dictate what you CAN do and everything else is illegal! [angry]

Westborough was thick with birds this morning.

I nailed a hen and rooster in second field and then followed my dogs around for awhile. I think we flushed about 14 birds total.
I saw 2 other guys in there but pretty much had the place to ourselves.........

I nailed a hen and rooster in second field and then followed my dogs around for awhile. I think we flushed about 14 birds total.

Wow, I hunted that WMA a few times during the week since it's so close to my work a few years ago. I stopped going because it was such a zoo.

You got lucky. The prisoner truck must have just dropped off birds, and there was probably a wreck on 495. Westboro usually sucks.

You got lucky. The prisoner truck must have just dropped off birds, and there was probably a wreck on 495. Westboro usually sucks.

I hunt there a lot early AM during the week.......we see enough birds and it's usually not too crowded.
Seen 4-5 woodcock this year also.

Which WMA do you like best?

I always go to Martin Burns WMA. It's overly crowded on Saturday but pretty nice during the week. People seem to clear out of there fast though. If there are around 30-40 cars at sunrise there are about 15 2-3 hrs later.

I was hunting Westborough WMA on Wednesday last week. A bird flushed up and flew over my head and two guys shot at it. Said they didn't see me. Worst thing is they both missed. There was a lot of orange out there. Maybe I will try a Friday next time.

I went pheasant hunting this morning. It was a nice day. My setter had a beautiful point on a woodcock of course I missed because I had the safety on. I moved about 3 woodcock total.

I went pheasant hunting this morning. It was a nice day. My setter had a beautiful point on a woodcock of course I missed because I had the safety on. I moved about 3 woodcock total.

I'm seeing more woodcock this year than ever before...Numbers are up or migratory route is overhead.
Fun to flush, shoot and the breast meat tastes like liver...?

Back
Top Bottom