• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant Hunting

I'm no expert, and many who are seem to not like the idea of using a pheasant wing, but I used one for a short while with two dogs. One as a pup, the other a couple of years old. Pheasants are smelly, and dragging the wing with a string leaves a hefty scent trail. I'd drag the wing through an open area, and tuck it into some brush. The dog would get a small reward (praise, mostly) after finding it. Then I'd fasten the wing to a bumper, have the dog sit steady, and throw the bumper into the brush, and let the dog find it. It didn't take but a few repetitions for the dog to "get it."

Smart dogs grow bored more quickly, so sometimes they seem like they're not getting what's going on, when really they're just ready for something else. The pointer got it within a few drills, and was content to not play the game much more. The cocker took a bit more time. Once they get time in the field, they make the connection fairly quickly after you nail a bird or two. Spending time in the field, letting them explore, really seems to be key in them "wanting" to find & track birds without the need for any instruction.

Thanks for that advice, I'll pick up a couple wings, bumpers and maybe a bottle of scent.

I'm no expert, and many who are seem to not like the idea of using a pheasant wing, but I used one for a short while with two dogs. One as a pup, the other a couple of years old. Pheasants are smelly, and dragging the wing with a string leaves a hefty scent trail. I'd drag the wing through an open area, and tuck it into some brush. The dog would get a small reward (praise, mostly) after finding it. Then I'd fasten the wing to a bumper, have the dog sit steady, and throw the bumper into the brush, and let the dog find it. It didn't take but a few repetitions for the dog to "get it."

Smart dogs grow bored more quickly, so sometimes they seem like they're not getting what's going on, when really they're just ready for something else. The pointer got it within a few drills, and was content to not play the game much more. The cocker took a bit more time. Once they get time in the field, they make the connection fairly quickly after you nail a bird or two. Spending time in the field, letting them explore, really seems to be key in them "wanting" to find & track birds without the need for any instruction.

Good stuff. My guy is just over 6 months old, I let him smell the pheasant (he wanted to chomp it) and I have never seen him get so excited. I took a couple wings and stuck them in the freezer until I figure out how/what I want to do with them. This drag and bumper idea sounds great, will try it out to get him the idea. Need to figure out a way to prevent him from eating the wing though, I'm worried he's going to get it on the bumper and shred the thing.

Took my son to Catskill Pheasantry last weekend. We were training my buddy's dog so I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce my kid to the sport.

[video=youtube_share;Hy5_E3R0BRM]http://youtu.be/Hy5_E3R0BRM[/video]

It doesn't get better than that. Nice job Dad!

Sent from my 3 watt bag phone.

Man after seeing that video all I can say is I have to get a dog. You had to kick that thing into the air, I can only imagine how many birds I've walked inches by and they just sat there.

It doesn't get better than that. Nice job Dad!

Sent from my 3 watt bag phone.

Nice job! My son shot his second pheasant earlier this week.....
I'd love to take him out west to hunt wild pheasants in South Dakota where they fill the sky!

Anyone ever hunt birds out that way?

Man after seeing that video all I can say is I have to get a dog. You had to kick that thing into the air, I can only imagine how many birds I've walked inches by and they just sat there.

You would be amazed at how they will hold. I've almost stepped on them in the past. You can walk around them all day and not know it.

I'm just curious as to what part of the pheasants people are taking home with them. Are you just taking the breast meat and leaving the rest or do you take the legs or wings too?

I went out on Saturday... no pheasants but got few good points on snipe and woodcock but they are out of season. I think I'm going to go northern NH for grouse.

I have a sitter for this Saturday, so hopefully I can report back with some good news. Not sure where we are headed... maybe East Bridgewater, maybe MSSF, or possibly closer to our house.

I'm just curious as to what part of the pheasants people are taking home with them. Are you just taking the breast meat and leaving the rest or do you take the legs or wings too?

We take the whole bird. It is absolutely delicious. I part the bird like you would a chicken. It's awesome pan fried or stir fried. A couple of weeks ago, I made some battered and fried asian style with veggies over rice. Yum. It's amazing in soy sauce grilled too.

I have been told by a few trainers of pointers that they frown on the wing idea because it tends to teach the dog to use his eyes and not his nose as much. Rolling a tennis ball that has been covered in scent has been suggested to me. Otherwise try to find a place that has quail and just let the dog bump the quail. You don't need a gun just let the dog do its thing and then you will see what needs work.

I have been told by a few trainers of pointers that they frown on the wing idea because it tends to teach the dog to use his eyes and not his nose as much. Rolling a tennis ball that has been covered in scent has been suggested to me. Otherwise try to find a place that has quail and just let the dog bump the quail. You don't need a gun just let the dog do its thing and then you will see what needs work.

Yes, I only used the wing for a few sessions. And I didn't drag it in front of them, I left a trail of scent they could follow to find a "reward" at the end of the trail. Strapping the wing to a bumper, and giving it a toss, was used a only a few times as well. Not as any ongoing training.

My dogs didn't get on real birds until they took to the field. Both dogs are now very adept at working together to find & flush pheasants and grouse, but I'm sure it's much more to do with their instinct than my attempt at training them. But, it sure was cool to see our lappy, foo-foo Cocker become a genuine gun dog. Tackling cripples, and even taking to the water to go after a downed bird bigger than herself. The pointer, well. That's expected behavior. They both make me smile just the same.

The wings are great as a parlor trick at the end of a fishing pole. Its not really training per se, but does show that you pup has a nose for the birds.

Think Im gonna head out to Gardner tomorrow morning or maybe even later today. Decided we are gonna do game birds for Thanksgiving. Ive got a few ducks and two pheasants in the freezer, and a woodcock (which ive got no idea what to do with), but could use more as all those birds dont equal 1 turkey, lol.

You would be amazed at how they will hold. I've almost stepped on them in the past. You can walk around them all day and not know it.

+1 to this. I chased one around for 6 minutes while it ran around and I thought it must be wounded. Then it took off. You got to kick these things in the ass.

1st rooster of the year
ubepe7uq.jpg

Congrats! Nice bird!
I'm looking for a nice 20ga. Would you recommend the cz?

Absolutely, I would recommend it! It's truly more bang for your buck! Each gauge is built on its own receiver and is case hardened, with the same locking mechanism design that merkel uses. It fits me better than any of my others, including the ones that cost more than twice as much

I'll be going out tomorrow mid-morning for pheasant. I don't have a dog, but the place I'm going gets loaded up with those suckers on Thanksgiving morning. Hopefully I'll step on one. [thinking]

years ago I set up a hunt down at Addieville with my son. We were upfront about telling them we had not done it before. They set us up with a guide and dogs and he helped us through the whole morning. Very fun and now a family tradition.

Just left westboro. Walked out with 1 bird between myself and a buddy. It's damn cold and doesn't seem to be a lot of action. The afternoon might be better if it warms up, but I've got turkey at the GFs parents instead.

I think I'm going to check out Erwin Wilder tomorrow morning...I kicked around there early this week just to get an idea of the land, very nice place. I did the duck thing this morning, and something about loading the kayak up and paddling in the cold two days in a row is not enticing to me right now hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom