Pepper spray

The Mass. law requires a permit for pepper spray. The police department could not answer my question: Does my wife have to take the firearms course in order to get the pepper spray?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can buy it OK with my LTC, but it seems nuts to have to take a course to carry pepper spray.

An FID card is needed for Pepper spray. If you wife gets the restriction for Chemical Mase/Pepper Spray she does not need to take the safety course.

Adam

A FID-D (chem sprays only) is the minimum requirement for the chemical sprays.

By MGLs, FID-D is now $25 (1st time only, renewals are free . . . at least for now) and is the only license that does NOT require a course for 1st issue. MGL does NOT allow a chief to put additional restrictions or requirements on an FID card . . . but I know that some have done so in spite of the law. Likewise it is SHALL ISSUE, "suitability" does NOT apply . . . again, I know that some chiefs have tried to avoid issuing FIDs to folks that they don't want to issue anything to, in spite of the law.

That's why Atty Jesse Cohen stays busy! :x

On the other hand, since MGLs do NOT protect any adult (from persecution) who lives in a house where guns are possessed, I am a firm believer in every adult getting a LTC-A!

A person can be persecuted for having "constructive possession" of firearms without a license if they are in the house where guns are located and the owner (with the LTC) is not present. The persecuted must prove that they didn't have access to the guns/ammo/mags! Proving a negative is extremely difficult, and very costly!

If guns are kept in a safe with the unlicensed spouse's jewelry or checkbooks, etc. it would be really impossible to prove in court that she didn't have access to the guns. Few of us lock up mags, but possession of (or access to) hi-cap mags in PRM is a 10 year felony/mag! Similarly, possession of (or access to) a single round of ammo without a license is a crime.

If you use combo locks on your guns, it's impossible to prove that she doesn't have the combination . . . even if true.

BTW, most such arrests/persecutions arise from police or fire response to an incident where they observe something (just a mag or ammo is sufficient). Fire alarm, burglar alarm, smoky kitchen from over-cooking, robbery, attempted break-ins, domestic calls, flooded cellar, electrical/plumbing/construction permit inspections (when adding to home, making modifications, etc.), etc. are the most common reasons why people get jammed up.

Well worth the course and $100/6 years to keep out of court and spending untold thousands defending your Wife against idiotic laws.

[FYI: I used the term "persecution" intentionally!]

Can anyone tell me if pepper spray or mace can be shipped to Mass?

I guessing not since it is considered ammunition by MGL and the AG will probably cry foul.

Thanks,
Matt

matt said:
Can anyone tell me if pepper spray or mace can be shipped to Mass?

I guessing not since it is considered ammunition by MGL and the AG will probably cry foul.

Thanks,
Matt
Hunt around you may find someone who will. If you do fine someone, shhhh don't tell[wink]
Unless you're buying a huge qty, why not buy it local?

Cross-X said:
I have an out of state source that will ship to MA and offers attractive selection and prices. PM me if you want more info.
So did the black helicopters fly over your house last night, or have you noticed clicking and crackling on your phone line? [rolleyes] [laugh] [laugh]

Holy Crap!!

Well, I ended up buying some locally because I needed it NOW (spending time in Boston this week).

I bought (essentially these, but branded differently)this and this, and paid 2-4X too much compared to online prices...

Of course, I had to fire a test shot, so I'd know how it worked. The big canister sends a nice cone of bright orange fog ~15ft. The little one sends a stream of orange liquid ~10 feet. I think the fog would be better, but I don't think I could get my wife to carry the bigger container.

After firing curiosity got the best of me and I held the can ~6" from my face and sniffed the residue on the nozzle from the test blast. That alone sent me sputtering and coughing!! Wow! One hour later, I can still feel some discomfort in my sinuses and mouth. That is some serious deterent.

I'll need to get some training for it next... (and get my wife a permit).

Last edited:
matt said:
Well, I ended up buying some locally because I needed it NOW (spending time in Boston this week).

I bought (essentially these, but branded differently)this and this, and paid 2-4X too much compared to online prices...

Of course, I had to fire a test shot, so I'd know how it worked. The big canister sends a nice cone of bright orange fog ~15ft. The little one sends a stream of orange liquid ~10 feet. I think the fog would be better, but I don't think I could get my wife to carry the bigger container.

After firing curiosity got the best of me and I held the can ~6" from my face and sniffed the residue on the nozzle from the test blast. That alone sent me sputtering and coughing!! Wow! One hour later, I can still feel some discomfort in my sinuses and mouth. That is some serious deterent.

I'll need to get some training for it next... (and get my wife a permit).

I was under the impression it was a one use type device like a fire extinguisher. youve discharged some of it, and not knowing exactly how much propellent is lost i wouldnt feel comfoprtable using it for defensive carry after that.

I don't know about the commercially available OC but the stuff we carry gets used time and time again.

The instuctions actually said to fire off a blast to see how it works... but I will replace these/use them for teaching my wife/learn how much is actually in one of these. I can buy several online for what I paid locally.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom