Illegal to have pepper spray if convicted of OUI in Mass.

Just found this info on comm2a... this is ridiculous. A one time OUI and you are not only prohibited from even touching a gun, or ammunition for the rest of your life, you are prohibited from carrying pepper spray as well.

"Mace and Pepper Spray
The legislature has finally made it legal to possess mace or pepper spray without a
license. Chemical sprays designed to incapacitate were removed from the definition of
ammunition in MGL Ch 140 §12124. Anyone eighteen years of age or older may
possess mace or pepper spray without a license unless they are prohibited as
follows25:
 Has been convicted or adjudicated as a youthful offender or delinquent child for
any:
o Felony;
o Misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years;
o Violent crime26;
o Crime relating to unlawful use or possess of weapons or ammunition for
which a term of imprisonment may be imposed;
o Law regulating use, possession, or sale of a controlled substances;
 Has been committed to a hospital or institution for mental illness unless the
person obtains an affidavit from a physician or clinical psychologist;
 Has been in recovery from or committed based upon a finding of having alcohol
or substance abuse disorder unless five years have passed and the applicant
obtains an affidavit from a physician or clinical psychologist:

I think you can still have a rape whistle though.

You know it's kinda simple, DON'T drink and drive and you won't have to worry about it.

I know, I know, there are some here that think it is their constitutional right to drive drunk as long as they don;t kill anyone and that leads me to think that they are drunk ALL the time if they think like that, but hey, just don't, OK?

Last edited:
I'm 47 now. When i was 29 I had a few beers was completely without a buzz when i left the bar... i was cut off the road by a person driving a pickup truck who was way over the center line in my lane. I hit atelephone pole, and was knocked on conscious. I nearly bit my tongue off, and my bottom teeth tore a hole right through the skin under my bottom lip.

I was asked to perform a field sobroety test wich i tried knowing i would fail due to having a serious concussion. I was arrested, and agreed to breathalyzer because i knew i didnt drink anywhere near the amount of alcohol to put me over the limit. My tongue was bleeding so profusely that blood went into the tube. I had to hold my finger over the hole in my face to prevent air from escaping through it... breathalizer reading was .09.

As i understand it blood in your mouth can give a falsely high reading. Unfortunately i didnt have the money at the time to hire a professional witness who could testify to this fact so i wasnt allowed to mention it... i was found guilty, and now can never touch a firearm for the rest of my life...

Sure you can say dont drink and drive... the fact is Massachuseyts has a ridiculously high penalty for first offense oui that is never implemented... the steep penalties sole purpose is to take away peoples second amendment rights...

Let's take a look at the actual statutory text, because there is more hope than one might believe.

Section 122C. (a) As used in this section and section 122D, “self-defense spray” shall mean chemical mace, pepper spray or any device or instrument which contains, propels or emits a liquid, gas, powder or other substance designed to incapacitate.
(b) Whoever, not being licensed as provided in section 122B, sells self-defense spray shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 years.
(c) Whoever sells self-defense spray to a person younger than 18 years of age, if the person younger than 18 years of age does not have a firearms identification card, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $300.
(d) A person under 18 years of age who possesses self-defense spray and who does not have a firearms identification card shall be punished by a fine of not more than $300.
Section 122D. No person shall purchase or possess self-defense spray who:
(i) in a court of the commonwealth, has been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child as defined in section 52 of chapter 119 for the commission of: (A) a felony; (B) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 2 years; (C) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (D) a violation of a law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; or (E) a violation of a law regulating the use, possession or sale of a controlled substance as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C including, but not limited to, a violation under said chapter 94C; provided, however, that except for the commission of a violent crime or a crime involving the trafficking of controlled substances, if the person has been so convicted or adjudicated or released from confinement, probation or parole supervision for such conviction or adjudication, whichever occurs last, for 5 or more years immediately preceding the purchase or possession, that person may purchase or possess self-defense spray;
(ii) in another state or federal jurisdiction, has been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (A) a felony; (B) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 2 years; (C) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (D) a violation of a law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; or (E) a violation of a law regulating the use, possession or sale of a controlled substance as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; provided, however, that, except for the commission of a violent crime or a crime involving the trafficking of weapons or controlled substances, if the person has been so convicted or adjudicated or released from confinement, probation or parole supervision for such conviction or adjudication, whichever occurs last, for 5 or more years immediately preceding the purchase or possession and that applicant's right or ability to possess a rifle or shotgun has been fully restored in the jurisdiction wherein the subject conviction or adjudication was entered, then that person may purchase or possess self-defense spray;
(iii) has been committed to any hospital or institution for mental illness unless the person obtains, prior to purchase or possession, an affidavit of a licensed physician or clinical psychologist attesting that such physician or psychologist is familiar with the applicant's mental illness and that in the physician's or psychologist’s opinion the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that shall prevent the applicant from possessing self-defense spray;
(iv) is or has been in recovery from or committed based upon a finding that the person is a person with an alcohol use disorder or a substance use disorder or both unless a licensed physician or clinical psychologist deems such person to be in recovery from such condition, in which case, such person may purchase or possess self-defense spray after 5 years from the date of such confinement or recovery; provided, however, that prior to such purchase or possession of self-defense spray, the applicant shall submit an affidavit issued by a licensed physician or clinical psychologist attesting that such physician or psychologist knows the person’s history of treatment and that in that physician's or psychologist’s opinion the applicant is in recovery;
(v) at the time of the application, is younger than 15 years of age;
(vi) at the time of the application, is at least 15 years of age but less than 18 years of age unless the applicant submits with the application a certificate from the applicant’s parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;
(vii) is an alien who does not maintain lawful permanent residency or is an alien not residing under a visa pursuant to 8 U.S.C § 1101(a)(15)(U), or is an alien not residing under a visa pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1154(a)(1)(B)(ii)(I) or is an alien not residing under a visa pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(15)(T)(i)(I)-(IV);
(viii) is currently subject to: (1) an order for suspension or surrender issued pursuant to section 3B or 3C of chapter 209A or section 7 of chapter 258E; or (2) a permanent or temporary protection order issued pursuant to chapter 209A or section 7 of chapter 258E; or
(ix) is currently the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant in any state or federal jurisdiction.
Whoever purchases or possesses self-defense spray in violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 years or both such fine and imprisonment.

See the red highlighted text. It is possible for a person with certain disqualifying convictions, from Mass or out of state, to again be able to possess self defense spray within the Commonwealth. Since (first/2d) OUI is state level misdemeanor, and is not one of the types excluded, the convict would again be able to regain his or her right to possess 5 years after completing his or her sentence (including probation) or 5 years after conviction (whichever is later). If the disqualifying conviction was from outside the Commonwealth, the individual would also have to have regained his or her right to possess self defense spray in his or her state of conviction.

. Since (first/2d) OUI is state level misdemeanor, and is not one of the types excluded, the convict would again be able to regain his or her right to possess 5 years after completing his or her sentence (including probation) or 5 years after conviction (whichever is later).
Incomplete and misleading info like this does not help. You are offering a theory like "wages are not income, so no taxes are owed on them" - sounds nice to the person stating the theory, but the logic is not accepted by anyone who matters (ie, those who control the states use of force against you).

Read the definition of "felony" in the definition to 18 USC 922(g)

The fact that an OUI has a possible sentence in excess of 2 years makes it a felony for the purposes of that section of federal law. Under Logan, an FLRB relief is not a restoration of civil rights, and does not undo the federal prohibition. The only three avenues are a pardon w/restoration of firearms rights; re-opening the case and getting a non-conviction determination; or a diplomatic immunity status.

Incomplete and misleading info like this does not help. You are offering a theory like "wages are not income, so no taxes are owed on them" - sounds nice to the person stating the theory, but the logic is not accepted by anyone who matters (ie, those who control the states use of force against you).

Read the definition of "felony" in the definition to 18 USC 922(g)

The fact that an OUI has a possible sentence in excess of 2 years makes it a felony for the purposes of that section of federal law. Under Logan, an FLRB relief is not a restoration of civil rights, and does not undo the federal prohibition. The only three avenues are a pardon w/restoration of firearms rights; re-opening the case and getting a non-conviction determination; or a diplomatic immunity status.

I would agree with you if we were talking about an item (firearm or ammunition, per the federal definition) subject to the Gun Control Act. In this instance we are not. There is no federal prohibition on a convicted felon (persons convicted of a crime punishable by more than 1 year imprisonment as defined by 18 usc 922(g) possessing self defense spray (e.g. mace, pepper spray, etc....)

That's how scenes like this are legal: http://www.midweek.com/images/uploads/010905/cover_1.jpg

Since spray is not prohibited to those individuals by federal, we only need to to look at state prohibitions. State law provides an avenue for people with most prohibited convictions to regain their right to possess self defense spray- meaning that prohibition is not for life.

There is no federal prohibition on a convicted felon (persons convicted of a crime punishable by more than 1 year imprisonment as defined by 18 usc 922(g) possessing self defense spray (e.g. mace, pepper spray, etc....)
Agreed with respect to self defense sprays.

I thought you were talking about guns and ammo.

Back
Top Bottom