• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pepper spray questions

puška m70

NES Member
Checked on the search engine, and it seems like a lot of posts are 10+ years old... and require a 'restricted FID' which I don't think exists anymore.

What's the general scoop about pepper spray in MA?
Brandishing it?
carrying it in schools, etc?
When can you threaten to use it?
What does the other person have to do in order to 'justify' you spraying them, person up in your face screaming at you?

Thanks.

Adults don't need a license any more.
Brandishing isn't a thing in MA.
Pepper spray is (legally) the same as ammunition.
Possession at schools follows the same rules as firearms and ammo.
Deploying pepper spray is a use of force.
Threats of the use of force are assault.
You need to respond to someone else's use of force appropriately.

Thanks for the answer.

This!!!
Add to it: In Massachusetts, the only retailers authorized to sell pepper spray are gun stores.
Additionally: Stick to brands that are easier to use. Ones that have a flip top, "that your thumb goes in", work well (like the Mace brand)
The ones that you have to turn/rotate the nozzle in order to use; are not instinctive enough to use under high stress... for the average user.

Last edited:
Checked on the search engine, and it seems like a lot of posts are 10+ years old... and require a 'restricted FID' which I don't think exists anymore.

What's the general scoop about pepper spray in MA?
Brandishing it?
carrying it in schools, etc?
When can you threaten to use it?
What does the other person have to do in order to 'justify' you spraying them, person up in your face screaming at you?

Thanks.
This guy is from NH.

Are there any restrictions for out of state people?

What about Massachusetts residents taking their pepper spray to neighboring New England states? Any restrictions in the other direction?

This guy is from NH.

Are there any restrictions for out of state people?

What about Massachusetts residents taking their pepper spray to neighboring New England states? Any restrictions in the other direction?

As per my quoted post, I was asking spefically about the MA laws regarding pepper spray.

As per my quoted post, I was asking spefically about the MA laws regarding pepper spray.
Understood. I was just trying to make the distinction about out of state versus in state, and if there is any difference. I have some family in CT and NH.

Is there a specific kind that minimizes blowback/spray getting on you? I have some gel stuff but it's expired. My GF wants some but has lung issues that would not react well to pepper spray in the face.

Is there a specific kind that minimizes blowback/spray getting on you? I have some gel stuff but it's expired. My GF wants some but has lung issues that would not react well to pepper spray in the face.

I would suggest the gel as well. Since you have some expired gel pepper spray I would suggest that you use them for training and see how they perform.

That’s the spray versus stream versus foam argument. Spray is more likely to hit the perp, requires less aiming, and is more effected by wind. Stream or foam require aiming, but are worse if you hit them.

This is very much a no free lunch kind of thing.

Last edited:
Now I'm wondering if the new gun bill is going to change anything with the pepper/mace sprays.
Not sure what they could do with that other than try to reregulate it under an LTC or FID again but I don't think anybody's going to go there.

Back
Top Bottom