• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pepper spray

Firearms Identification (FID) Cards

The new FID card permits the purchase, possession and carrying of NON-LARGE CAPACITY RIFLES, SHOTGUNS and AMMUNITION ONLY. You must be at least 18 years old (or 15 - 17 years old with parental consent) to apply for an FID card. The fee for an FID card is $100.00 and it is valid for 6 years. New applicants must complete a Mass. approved firearms safety course or a BASIC HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE. A restricted FID card is available solely for the possession of mace or pepper spray. Applicants for the restricted FID are exempt from the education requirement.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm

Firearms Identification (FID) Cards

The new FID card permits the purchase, possession and carrying of NON-LARGE CAPACITY RIFLES, SHOTGUNS and AMMUNITION ONLY. You must be at least 18 years old (or 15 - 17 years old with parental consent) to apply for an FID card. The fee for an FID card is $100.00 and it is valid for 6 years. New applicants must complete a Mass. approved firearms safety course or a BASIC HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE. A restricted FID card is available solely for the possession of mace or pepper spray. Applicants for the restricted FID are exempt from the education requirement.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm

So if you just want to own pepper spray they'll still take your $100? What a crock!

...technically not without cleo permission for the schools, which often isn't difficult to get.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

IIRC, the permision for on-school posession has to come from the Administrator in charge of the school, not a cop, unless, I guess, it's a cop school, and the cops are running the place.

I'd advise any person <18 to get the "real" FID . "Junior FID" price is $25 (thanks, GOAL!), the same as a spray-bomb card. Why limit yourself?

...technically not without [STRIKE=undefined]cleo[/STRIKE] permission for the schools, which often isn't difficult to get.

Mike

Mike,

MGL requires permission from the Chief Administrator of any school (college president). Campus Police can't give said permission unless the college president designates the CLEO as his "designated authority" to do so.

I know of one major Ivy League college in the Boston area where getting such permission is very difficult at best. And said college has SUCCESSFULLY prosecuted students carrying OC!

Also non-trivial, most students are NRs (from out of state or foreign countries) and thus can only get NR LTCs . . . but most are <21 yo and thus can't get any permit that would even let them possess OC IF they could get school permission!!

Mike,

MGL requires permission from the Chief Administrator of any school (college president). Campus Police can't give said permission unless the college president designates the CLEO as his "designated authority" to do so.

I know of one major Ivy League college in the Boston area where getting such permission is very difficult at best. And said college has SUCCESSFULLY prosecuted students carrying OC!

Also non-trivial, most students are NRs (from out of state or foreign countries) and thus can only get NR LTCs . . . but most are <21 yo and thus can't get any permit that would even let them possess OC IF they could get school permission!!

Please explain how this works out to be "for the children" [laugh]

Hmm good to know. Is that anywhere in writing len so I can forward it along to a certain police department that has "given permission" to people I know?

Mike

Hmm good to know. Is that anywhere in writing len so I can forward it along to a certain police department that has "given permission" to people I know?

Mike

Mike,

I'd expect that many college presidents designate their chief of campus police to handle these matters.

Back in the late 1970s, I wrote such a letter to the president of NU and he forwarded it to the chief of campus police to answer (Hell NO!).

So UMass Police Chief may indeed have the authority to grant permission (or not).

One of my staff from NJ of all places almost shat when I told her she couldn't bring her CP spray to MA without a permit.

So, if I chaperone a field trip for the 4th grade, I can't carry OC? I would be on school property and a bus part of the time and at a college museum in people's republic of cambridge the rest of the time. Guess it's the flashlight and spit ball shooter for me that day. Nothing is mentioned about a blow gun or bow??? [rofl]

So, if I chaperone a field trip for the 4th grade, I can't carry OC? I would be on school property and a bus part of the time and at a college museum in people's republic of cambridge the rest of the time. Guess it's the flashlight and spit ball shooter for me that day. Nothing is mentioned about a blow gun or bow??? [rofl]

OC is considered ammunition so no.

...technically not without cleo permission for the schools, which often isn't difficult to get.

Mike

It's been my experience that permission to carry pepper spray on school grounds IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT if not impossible to get. That goes especially for the students.

Back
Top Bottom