Pennsylvania non resident ltc

Picked up my license yesterday at the satellite office in York. In and out in like 15 minutes. The lady told me that out if 67 counties in PA, only 3 of them are doing non-resident licenses. So, it looks like York, Luzerne, and one more. Drove to Lancaster county and picked up some Shoofly Pie.

This is great news. Just scheduled to pick up my license on 8/1 at the satellite office in York... Flying to BWI and renting a Dodge Challenger. Let's see how much this permit costs me at the end of the day.. :)

Applied online with Luzerne on Monday afternoon. Just got the call that it's approved. Remind me again why MA takes months to get this done??
In and out in literally five minutes. The guy was pretty confused about why address changes don't result in a new LTC until renewal in MA but he didn't seem to really care.

My 99yo mom lives near Lancaster so I got my non-resident PA permit years ago. It's due this month. York County's online form requires 2 references, but they didn't call them and I got an approval email 3 days later. I have to pick it up in person from the main Sheriff's office or a satellite office (45 min away from Mom). The web site to schedule the pick-up was basically wide open. I could pick almost any hour of any day. Awesome (except it should be constitutional carry).

Once again I am here to tell you that Pennsylvania does not have a non-resident permit, you are issued the same permit as a resident at the same cost. If you move to the greatest commonwealth you will keep that permit until it expires. The PA supreme court ruled that references were unconstitutional years ago and nobody "should" ever contact them, more importantly you are not required to provide references. Yes we should be constitutional carry but we can never quite get there thanks to our shitty voting record.

Once again I am here to tell you that Pennsylvania does not have a non-resident permit, you are issued the same permit as a resident at the same cost. If you move to the greatest commonwealth you will keep that permit until it expires. The PA supreme court ruled that references were unconstitutional years ago and nobody "should" ever contact them, more importantly you are not required to provide references. Yes we should be constitutional carry but we can never quite get there thanks to our shitty voting record.
Call it whatever you want. His majesty gives us a permit for $25 and half a day of our lives driving there.

Luzerne asked for references, but they didn't call them. I don't think anyone ever calls references.

Last edited:
Once again I am here to tell you that Pennsylvania does not have a non-resident permit, you are issued the same permit as a resident at the same cost....
Adding to the confusion is the app I use to see how many states I'm legal to carry in (called The CCW App) still has check boxes for in-state and out of state licenses for PA. If I tell it I have an in-state license, I also get Colorado.

Not being a felon shouldn't be this complicated.

Adding to the confusion is the app I use to see how many states I'm legal to carry in (called The CCW App) still has check boxes for in-state and out of state licenses for PA. If I tell it I have an in-state license, I also get Colorado.

My PA license has my MA address.

I am not willing to be the test case, therefore I will approach it as a "non-resident" permit. Someone here with huge balls can be the test case for all of us.

I agree.

Looking at the Luzerne County website, it seems like you have to drive to Hanover, rather than Wilkes-Barre. Definitely a longer trip. Hanover isn’t even in Luzerne County. Am I missing something?

I have a Lackawanna permit that expires later this year and am looking for the shortest drive.

I think that lady is wrong about only Three counties issuing non county resident permits. I know Wyoming county still does because I just checked their website. Every sheriff's website will tell you if they accept applications from non county residents. Functionally there is no such thing as a non Pennsylvania resident permit it's county by county.

York county. Had to wait about 10 minutes because of 2 people in front of me. They're doing a booming business handing out LTCs[thumbsup]

The person working the counter says most counties aren't doing out of state LTCs simply because of the added work, not because of an attitude shift away from the 2A. It's another post-Covid thing.

20230907_095121.jpg

I believe PA does not recognize non-resident permits. In other words, getting a non-res NH license wouldn't help me in PA.
This is because three black guys who lived in PA were arrested for unlicensed carry and the state had to drop the charges when they discovered their non-resident FL licenses were good in PA. They botched the wording and instead of "Out of state licenses not recognized for PA residents" used the "resident permit only" as the way of making PA residents ineligible to use non-PA permits.

York county. Had to wait about 10 minutes because of 2 people in front of me. They're doing a booming business handing out LTCs[thumbsup]

The person working the counter says most counties aren't doing out of state LTCs simply because of the added work, not because of an attitude shift away from the 2A. It's another post-Covid thing.

View attachment 793407
The woman in Luzerne apologized for taking a full 10 minutes and because the website had so many open dates and times.

I was like "why are you apologizing, this was very easy?"

She said they were faster, but ran into some backlog issues and were working on clearing them.

So, imagine that, they are actually working on making an easy, and fast process even faster. Unheard of in MA.

In MA they would tell you to be thankful to the Gods because they issued an LTC within 12 months of applying for it.

The PA process makes me really mad at MA. Clearly it's possible to run a background check in a few minutes, why does MA take f-ing months?!?!

The PA process makes me really mad at MA. Clearly it's possible to run a background check in a few minutes, why does MA take f-ing months?!?!
Background checks take seconds.

You can run a background check on yourself for $25. The State Police will send you the information instantly to your Email.

All the excuses MA makes are bullsh*t.

The only valid excuse could be having a backlog due to too many applications and not enough people processing the applications.

I was supposed to send a copy of my renewed Mass LTC so my PA Non-Resident permit would stay active. Can't find the paperwork. Anyone have any info on this. Did it in York County.

You can always unload your pistol and keep it locked in the trunk. PA still allows that but you will still be in trouble cutting thru NY.
Just follow FOPA through NY.

I was supposed to send a copy of my renewed Mass LTC so my PA Non-Resident permit would stay active. Can't find the paperwork. Anyone have any info on this. Did it in York County.
Is this a county requirement? I've never heard of this.

Back
Top Bottom