• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania non resident ltc

A bit of history:

PA used to be very generous with reciprocity.

Then three guys got busted for CWB (Carrying While Black). Pesky detail - they had FL carry permits, but no PA permits, and all charges had to be dropped. They sued and got a very small settlement (I remember it being under $10k each). The police apparently recognized the error quickly but since they had already been processed, refused to return their guns and let the system run its course (dropped charges).

So, PA got its panties in a bunch because residents could bypass PA's controls over who could legally carry by mail ordering a permit from a shall-issue state like FL. When they "corrected" the law (because they were mad these black people got off), the not only denied reciprocity to PA residents, but also restricted reciprocity to "resident permits only".

So even modern law sometimes has racist roots.

I haven't gotten anywhere with email and phone either. Unfortunately I can't willy-nilly drive to Scranton just to drop off the application and then have to come right back to pick up the license a few days or even weeks later.
If I decide to make the run, I'll probably make a trip to Mohegan at Pocono Downs and donate to the local economy via the blackjack and craps tables.

Anyone try to renew their non-res in Lackawanna recently, or are they still only allowing in-state residents
Mine expired and I had no luck with phone or email. I may just try to stop in there one day when I'm in the area, that covid stuff on their website has to be out of date

I know this has been discussed before, did a search but found old threads or threads full of junk.

I am looking at driving to PA to get an LTC.

I found a PA forum and looks like Berks County might be a good one but the posts are from 2016.

Any recent experience with any county over there? (I don't care if it is 5hrs, 5.5 or 6.5 hours from MA).

Berks seems like a pain, first mail it then they schedule an appointment. County of Berks - Firearm License Unit
But they don't say anything about not issuing to out of State.

This thread has one or two offices which seem to be “in and out”, one stop shopping.

This thread has one or two offices which seem to be “in and out”, one stop shopping.
Thank you!

What happened to Center county? Iirc they used to be walk in during business hours youd be out in a half hour or less with a license.
That is still the case. A couple I know were there just a few months ago for their renewals and it was in and out. I was planning a trip down there myself, but I’m not really up for the drive just for the LTC.

I just got my notice to renew from Jefferson County. I will be visiting my Dad and will renew it. Its as easy as 1-2-3. In the door, sign some paperwork, picture, print licesne and away you go.

I know this has been discussed before, did a search but found old threads or threads full of junk.

I am looking at driving to PA to get an LTC.

I found a PA forum and looks like Berks County might be a good one but the posts are from 2016.

Any recent experience with any county over there? (I don't care if it is 5hrs, 5.5 or 6.5 hours from MA).

Berks seems like a pain, first mail it then they schedule an appointment. County of Berks - Firearm License Unit
But they don't say anything about not issuing to out of State.
Just applied and was approved in one day out of York, Pennsylvania. Just over 6.5 hours to get there. Still trying to plan a drive down.

Did you do everything in person or had to mail it?
Everything was done online. Filled out last Saturday, approved following Monday. Called sheriff and he told me I had to go down and get it. Up to that point I had thought it was an online application and mailed permit. Well, I was wrong about the mailed permit.

Everything was done online. Filled out last Saturday, approved following Monday. Called sheriff and he told me I had to go down and get it. Up to that point I had thought it was an online application and mailed permit. Well, I was wrong about the mailed permit.
What do you mean - just pick it up?

Don't they need your photo for the license?

Can you pick it up at any time?

What do you mean - just pick it up?

Don't they need your photo for the license?

Can you pick it up at any time?
I have 30 days to pick it up. After which I would need to reapply again. There was no mention of any kind of photo on or in the application process. Photo probably will be done in person at pick up.

Filled out the app online at 9:30 AM. It was approved by 11:30 AM and is ready for pickup.

PA really has their shit together. Plus the phone ladies were hysterical!!!

Renewed mine last Summer. Had to pick an appointment time on line. Went to Luzerne county, not the courthouse but the morgue believe it or not. In and out in minutes

Back
Top Bottom