• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania non resident ltc

An alternative to obtaining a PA LTC is to move to a "free state"...
[banana]

With my GA Resident permit only:
1678121322235.png

GA Resident, CT, UT, FL & NH non-resident permits:
+ Adds WA, NV, NM, CT & DE
* still landlocked in CT, without any reciprocity in MA, RI or NY;
* Traveling through NJ, MD and DC is still a pita;
* Annoying, but pretty meaningless OR, CA, MN & IL
1678121452353.png

[banana]

View attachment 728711

View attachment 728713
Are you sure you have South Carolina? They have super gay carry laws in SC. You have to be a resident or own property last I knew.

Are you sure you have South Carolina? They have super gay carry laws in SC. You have to be a resident or own property last I knew.

I'm positive I have South Carolina. The resident or property owner WAS the law up until a couple years ago. I was considering going in with a couple of friends to buy property there simply to be landowners. That changed in June of 2016.

FOPA does not cover loaded on your person carry.

...and you do not need a license to possess a handgun in PA, only to carry one. In other words, you can FOPA through NY with or without a PA nonresident license.

Yes, yes — both valid points and good clarification.

My point was that for FOPA to apply, you have to be legal to possess a firearm in both the jurisdiction you depart from (e.g., State in which you reside, assume you are departing from home) and your final destination jurisdiction (while remaining in travel status during your journey and not making unreasonable stops other than the essentials for gas and bathroom, etc).

So while traveling through southern New England and passing through New York State to destination points south and west, an out of state license in PA demonstrates someone is permitted to carry in that jurisdiction as a final destination (in addition to the abilities to carry concealed in State). Of course, that probably won’t get you out of getting jammed up in New York State anyways. And like @Rob Boudrie said, FOPA does not cover transport on-person.

Always good to know the laws of where you’re headed, and points in between.

My point was that for FOPA to apply, you have to be legal to possess a firearm in both the jurisdiction you depart from (e.g., State in which you reside, assume you are departing from home) and your final destination jurisdiction (while remaining in travel status during your journey and not making unreasonable stops other than the essentials for gas and bathroom, etc).

So while traveling through southern New England and passing through New York State to destination points south and west, an out of state license in PA demonstrates someone is permitted to carry in that jurisdiction as a final destination (in addition to the abilities to carry concealed in State). Of course, that probably won’t get you out of getting jammed up in New York State anyways. And like @Rob Boudrie said, FOPA does not cover transport on-person.

Always good to know the laws of where you’re headed, and points in between.

Yep.

And this is why I continue to maintain my NH non-resident permit even though I don't need it up there. It gives me undeniable FOPA through a number of states that I'm not legally allowed to posess firearms in.

I know that this offends the purists among us. I don't care. I've spent enough time already in court rooms, both for a criminal matter and for divorce and ensuing matters that I never want to spend another minute in a court room.

You evaluate your risk, you make your choices - I'll live my life.

[banana]

View attachment 728711

View attachment 728713
Maybe in a couple years, the second amendment will actually be honored in the entire country and you can finally carry in NJ and hollow point dum dums too!

Drove down to PA yesterday. NY state troopers everywhere along the N.Y. route. Otherwise, easy driving down. Walked into the courthouse. 5 minutes. No wait. Very polite admin handing out the cards. Picture but no prints.

Traffic through NY and CT on 84 heading home added an additional hour.

Trivially easy.

That hadn't changed as of 2021 when I took my SC qualification course. Still required to be a resident of a contiguous state, resident of SC, or property owner.

If it has changed can you include a link in your response so I can apply?

I'm positive I have South Carolina. The resident or property owner WAS the law up until a couple years ago. I was considering going in with a couple of friends to buy property there simply to be landowners. That changed in June of 2016.

That hadn't changed as of 2021 when I took my SC qualification course. Still required to be a resident of a contiguous state, resident of SC, or property owner.

If it has changed can you include a link in your response so I can apply?
Remember- I live in GA.

So, what if someone is moving to MA?

Drove down to PA yesterday. NY state troopers everywhere along the N.Y. route. Otherwise, easy driving down. Walked into the courthouse. 5 minutes. No wait. Very polite admin handing out the cards. Picture but no prints.

Traffic through NY and CT on 84 heading home added an additional hour.

Trivially easy.
Did you have to fill an online application and get approved BEFORE going?

What county?

Each county has slightly different requirements. Since the start of COVIDiocy many of them stopped doing non county resident permits. PA doesn't have a non resident permit per se. It's up to each sheriff to decide to what extent he'll issue to none county residents. Most of them require the fee to be paid when you appear for you license.

What I did was start with this map, Pennsylvania County Map and checked each county nearest me. Most, but not all, clearly state if they will issue to non county residents. Here is one example,

If you do a bit of homework, you'll quickly know where you can and can't apply.

Now dry your tears and get to work.

What county?

What county?
Yes. You fill out the app, upload a picture of your driver’s license and Mass LTC, list two references, and pay the fee.

After approval, you show up, the take your photo and give you the card.

Each county has slightly different requirements. Since the start of COVIDiocy many of them stopped doing non county resident permits. PA doesn't have a non resident permit per se. It's up to each sheriff to decide to what extent he'll issue to none county residents. Most of them require the fee to be paid when you appear for you license.

What I did was start with this map, Pennsylvania County Map and checked each county nearest me. Most, but not all, clearly state if they will issue to non county residents. Here is one example,

Or you could just post a county.

Yes. You fill out the app, upload a picture of your driver’s license and Mass LTC, list two references, and pay the fee.

After approval, you show up, the take your photo and give you the card.
Did you upload your app and ID copies? Or did you email them to them?

The wife and I stopped this past Wednesday at the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office as we travelled to Ohio and did our five year renewal. The original license had also been issued in this county. We even dealt with the same deputy that we had previously. Super friendly. In and out in 20 minutes. Showed our DL's, Mass LTC and previous PA LTC. Done.

The sheriff's office had earlier sent us a reminder that our permits were expiring.

Do you have to pick it up in person?
Yep. That’s the only downside, so I told my wife we should go visit the in laws while we head down. It breaks the trip up a little.

Update: Approved today. Now I just have to set up an appointment to go pick it up.

Last edited:

I applied in York County and was approved in a couple of days. Now comes the hard part, where I have to drive down there and pick it up. I'm not sure how often I'll be in PA, but I just reflexively applied.

Are there many restrictions where you can carry?

Pay attention to what they tell you. In the email I got from Luzerne saying that my license is approved, it says I have 60 days to pick it up before they cancel it. Not sure if it would then count as a denial but just FYI.

COVID changed how they do their licenses. Before that, you had to drive down in person and apply at the courthouse where the sheriff's office is or a designated sub station. My first license was from Berks County and I ended up at the Reading airport sub station. Where it took 10 minutes from start to finish. During COVID Berks County stopped accepting non county resident applications, so after searching a bit I discovered that Wyoming County was the closest to me. I did the application on line and a few days later go a phone call to come in for my photo and license. Oh, and bring $20.00.

It was a ten hour drive out and back, but worth it.

Technically, there is no "non resident" license in PA. It's up to each county sheriff to determine if they will accept non county residents applications. It's a distinction without a difference I guess, but the license is the same and there are no extra hoops to jump through.

Back
Top Bottom